Page 245 of 245 FirstFirst ... 145195235241242243244245
Results 3,661 to 3,672 of 3672

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    To be honest, one of the things i liked about BvS ( particularly the ultimate edition) is that it wasn't a light popcorn flick of two guys in tights hitting each other, and it tried to do something different than what I was expecting. It was trying to say something about these characters and instead of doing what everyone expected, it was ambitious enough to swing for the fences. On its own and separated from the egos involved and the aftermath, i still rate the ultimate cut as one of the better superhero movies ever made and is easily my third favorite live action Superman movie ( behind The Donner film and MOS. )

Having said that, i know I'm in the minority on that. The public wanted a fun popcorn fluff pic, didn't get that, and revolted, resulting in the film underperforming to the point that when WB gave the public the fun popcorn pic it wanted with BvS in JL, many stayed away.
    Actually, it didn't have to be a popcorn flick. It just had to show more contrast between the two characters, not just conflict. It was so completely ironic when two of the people who worked on BvS said something in an interview like "There has to be contrast, it can't all be just light or dark." And I just kept thinking of Inigo Montoya's line from "The Princess Bride: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." And then Terrio said at the time, of JL: “I expect Justice League will be tonally not quite as dark as Batman v Superman,”. The problem is that I and a lot of others keyed in on the two most important words of that sentence: "not quite". Everything that was said of these characters could have been said in a way that audiences would have been good with and nothing would have been lost.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    These movies are expensive as hell to make and need to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. It COULD have worked if it was done more competently, but it wasn't. Deconstructing Superman when you didn t properly finish establishing the new version is a bad business decision.
    That's a big one. Many of us as fans can fill in the blanks with as much of a "Superman we know" as possible and that helps, but general audiences saw what they saw and it wasn't a Superman they saw as Superman. He's not just any other Superhero, and he can't be treated as such. And in the end, the reactions bore that out. And before someone takes that beyond what I'm saying...no, it doesn't mean Superman can only be one rigid thing. But there are boundaries, especially in film.

Waiting two films for a fully formed Superman is one thing. Having to wait four is goddamn lunacy, especially when he has to share screen time with guest stars.

You make the money and build trust, THEN start experimenting. The whole "DC is copying Marvel" complaints were annoying, but Wonder Woman showed that that wouldn't have mattered all that much in the end.
    It's even worse for Superman. It's not like he gets a shiny new take in movies every 2-3 years like Batman seems to (post "Batman & Robin" notwithstanding). Superman had "Superman IV" (1987), then "Superman Returns" (2006), and then "Man of Steel" (2013). And "Superman Returns" wasn't so well-received, either. So that's almost 3 decades without a great Superman movie, mainly because WB doesn't understand it's own character and won't let actual comics writers (who do) take enough of a crack at it.

Deborah Snyder was asked about the reaction and said “The main thing we learned, I think: people don’t like to see their heroes deconstructed.” This is partly true and partly bull, but my first thought is that they don't seem to know the difference between deconstruction and demolition. It's like the mechanic who finds "extra parts" after he takes apart and "fixes" your engine: it means there's something missing, and it's probably important.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Zack Snyder's collaborator Jay Oliva confirms that the final chapter of Snyder's pentalogy wouldn't be a Superman movie but another team-up film (JL3 I assume) that would've solved everyone's arc, especially Superman's.

https://twitter.com/jayoliva1/status/999842073388855296

Of course it would've solved mostly Superman's arc as the poor guy, unlike the other heroes, wouldn't have his own solo franchise.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 05-24-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    To be honest, one of the things i liked about BvS ( particularly the ultimate edition) is that it wasn't a light popcorn flick of two guys in tights hitting each other, and it tried to do something different than what I was expecting. It was trying to say something about these characters and instead of doing what everyone expected, it was ambitious enough to swing for the fences. On its own and separated from the egos involved and the aftermath, i still rate the ultimate cut as one of the better superhero movies ever made and is easily my third favorite live action Superman movie ( behind The Donner film and MOS. )

Having said that, i know I'm in the minority on that. The public wanted a fun popcorn fluff pic, didn't get that, and revolted, resulting in the film underperforming to the point that when WB gave the public the fun popcorn pic it wanted with BvS in JL, many stayed away.
    Then I am in the minority too. Well said.

Master Hero Vladimir

I honestly enjoyed Superman in Justice League because the movie sets up what Superman can be: the beacon of light and hope for all superheroes. The movie shows in the beginning that Superman can be warm and friendly when he can afford it, not when some evil billionaire with daddy issues is trying to smear his reputation. After he dies and the truth of what he was trying to do comes out, people begin to reevaluate their opinion of Superman because sometimes, people only appreciate what they have once it's gone. When he comes back, he reconnects with his family and begins to reassess what's important to him. Once he shows up in the climax, he shows the optimism and charisma that he should have displayed long ago but was afraid to. Henry Cavill is a good actor and I'm glad he was given a chance to deliver a more traditional portrayal of the character. That's why I want a new Superman movie. As much as like BvS, I am a Superman fan first and Batman fan later. With the course correction DC Films is trying to do with their new movies, Superman definitely deserves another chance to prove himself.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    I honestly enjoyed Superman in Justice League because the movie sets up what Superman can be: the beacon of light and hope for all superheroes. The movie shows in the beginning that Superman can be warm and friendly when he can afford it, not when some evil billionaire with daddy issues is trying to smear his reputation. After he dies and the truth of what he was trying to do comes out, people begin to reevaluate their opinion of Superman because sometimes, people only appreciate what they have once it's gone. When he comes back, he reconnects with his family and begins to reassess what's important to him. Once he shows up in the climax, he shows the optimism and charisma that he should have displayed long ago but was afraid to. Henry Cavill is a good actor and I'm glad he was given a chance to deliver a more traditional portrayal of the character. That's why I want a new Superman movie. As much as like BvS, I am a Superman fan first and Batman fan later. With the course correction DC Films is trying to do with their new movies, Superman definitely deserves another chance to prove himself.
    Agreed. Cavill just oozes carisma. He obviously loves the character and wants to do right by him. If he doesn't get another movie it'll be a crime.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    He shows the optimism and charisma around Lois all the time yet people dismiss it but in Justice League he has peers to do this around and suddenly people start picking up what he's putting down so to speak. Hell i'm completely different around PEOPLE then I am when i'm alone. It's only natural.

WTF?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    WTF?!?

Henry looks kinda like Freddie Mercury with the mustache... maybe that's why?
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Henry looks kinda like Freddie Mercury with the mustache... maybe that's why?
    They should've casted Henry for the Freddie Mercury biopic.

BTW, poor Superman (and Cavill), he'll be haunted forever by mustache jokes, as if the "underwear on the outside" jokes weren't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    LEGO DC Villains!

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/05/...s-reveal-date/

I love the LEGO superhero games, so I’m pretty excited about this.
    Lol the mustache doodle on Supes

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 06-02-2018 at 02:21 PM.

Master Hero Vladimir

Happy Man of Steel Anniversary!

Amy Adams???

Sure she was good in the role, but surely the "Action Movie Actress" category should be for people who actually had action scenes, rather than happened to appear in the film.

Jeremy Irons stole the show in Batman vs Superman for me, but I wouldn't nominate him for "Action Movie Actor".