Page 102 of 245 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 3672

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    As in, would people judge the movie based on full context, e.g. that there are two different directors involved, that there is creative interference from WB and DC causing a shift in tone, etc. Basically, audiences won't care about the behind the scenes, but will judge it based on whether they enjoyed it or not, and also likely how it compares to similarly-themed movies.
    I think people ultimately will judge it on how good it is buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut... heavy interference equals low quality. That's pretty much a fact... Believe me though, I'm not a downer about this kind of stuff and just like that symbol on the big guy's chest I have H. O. P. E. I think this movie is going to blow people away.

Zack Snyder himself liked this new article/essay about Why DCEU Superman matters. It's very good, check it out.

THE ULTIMATE IMMIGRANT STORY: ZACK SNYDER’S SUPERMAN

From geeksofcolor .co

DHghlGyWAAASXbq.jpg

Why do bloggers write and speculate so much about the DCEU, and why do they feed the DC/Marvel rivalry? Because it makes them the most money.

Don't feed the clickbait..

Is Superman really an immigrant though?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Why do bloggers write and speculate so much about the DCEU, and why do they feed the DC/Marvel rivalry? Because it makes them the most money.

Don't feed the clickbait..
    And honestly... as much as I hate to admit it... It's fun! (I love the Marvel movies) But screw them! DC 'till I die.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Is Superman really an immigrant though?
    I'm personally of the belief that he is closer to a first generation Kryptonian American (Earthling) in the same way that a child born in America of Mexican parents is a first generation Mexican American.

I genuinely think that it was a missed opportunity that the Man of Steel film didn't have Lara make the lonely trip across the ocean of stars solo, give birth to Kal, leave him in a field to be found by the Kents, and then pass away (due to whatever contrivance you like) shortly after. John Byrne originally came up with the idea for the 80's reboot, but opted for the much colder birthing matrix idea that accomplished the same thing.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

And honestly... as much as I hate to admit it... It's fun! (I love the Marvel movies) But screw them! DC 'till I die.
    It would be more fun if these bloggers weren't constantly presenting the dceu as the bad guy..

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I'm personally of the belief that he is closer to a first generation Kryptonian American (Earthling) in the same way that a child born in America of Mexican parents is a first generation Mexican American.

I genuinely think that it was a missed opportunity that the Man of Steel film didn't have Lara make the lonely trip across the ocean of stars solo, give birth to Kal, leave him in a field to be found by the Kents, and then pass away (due to whatever contrivance you like) shortly after. John Byrne originally came up with the idea for the 80's reboot, but opted for the much colder birthing matrix idea that accomplished the same thing.
    I could understand if he was raised by his mexican parents, but he was raised by american parents yknow what I mean? I'm sure he feels different inside but he's pretty much an american. I feel like Martian Manhunter is more of an immigrant type.

I could understand if he was raised by his mexican parents, but he was raised by american parents yknow what I mean? I'm sure he feels different inside but he's pretty much an american. I feel like Martian Manhunter is more of an immigrant type.
    Well if said hypothetical Mexican decent child were adopted shortly after birth, they'd still be Mexican American by way of his birth parents. But obviously they'd identify mainly as an American. I say this as a child of immigrants myself. I identify as an American, but I'm very much appreciative of the heritage that I'm descended from. I've been to my mom's country much the same way Superman visits Kandor. And much like setting the shrink ray to temporary, my plane tickets always have a return date. Even though I identify as an American, I can sometimes feel slightly out of place for a under of reasons, not unlike Clark. And that feeling isn't alleviated when I visit my mom's country. In fact, it's intensified because I see an recognize traits in the people that I myself have in varying degrees, but I've also spent 24 years being an American, so that leaves me in a strange limbo state.

And that's where I imagine Superman operates. That's why I imagine Superman sees himself as a Kryptonian Earthling. Kara is the more traditional immigrant.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Of the movies, I suppose Reeve was closest to a regular immigrant child. Otherwise he's like a baby adopted from a war torn country, where his origin can't be denied but probably wasn't really capable of being learned much if at all through his adoptive parents. Cav-el was like thirty something, he'd feel alien to feeling alien.

And that's where I imagine Superman operates. That's why I imagine Superman sees himself as a Kryptonian Earthling. Kara is the more traditional immigrant.
    Agreed.

Of course, I think first generation (aka children of immigrants) have their own specific story to tell. Speaking from my experience, I don't quite feel like I fit in growing up in mostly white-American (second, third, fourth-plus) generation) populations, but I certainly didn't feel like I belonged in other Asian groups even though we looked similar. My dad's Korean, and mom's Filipino, and I feel like I was just different from all three nationalities.

Anyway, I think it's pretty obvious why this scenario applies to Superman. I liked it when New 52 Zod showed up and it was clear that while Superman did his homework on Krypton, he didn't read the advanced chapters yet.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 08-19-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Well if said hypothetical Mexican decent child were adopted shortly after birth, they'd still be Mexican American by way of his birth parents. But obviously they'd identify mainly as an American. I say this as a child of immigrants myself. I identify as an American, but I'm very much appreciative of the heritage that I'm descended from. I've been to my mom's country much the same way Superman visits Kandor. And much like setting the shrink ray to temporary, my plane tickets always have a return date. Even though I identify as an American, I can sometimes feel slightly out of place for a under of reasons, not unlike Clark. And that feeling isn't alleviated when I visit my mom's country. In fact, it's intensified because I see an recognize traits in the people that I myself have in varying degrees, but I've also spent 24 years being an American, so that leaves me in a strange limbo state.

Do you consider yourself an immigrant?

What I mean is like he wasn't raised by immigrants and he doesn't look different than all the white dudes in Smallville.
    Last edited by Darkseid Is; 08-19-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Of course, I think first generation (aka children of immigrants) have their own specific story to tell.
    I very, very much agree with this. While I think Superman himself approximates this story fairly well, I think there's room to get even closer to the heart of the idea. This is about 30% of my personal hype for Jon Kent. I'm really hoping they start touching on that soon.

I liked it when New 52 Zod showed up and it was clear that while Superman did his homework on Krypton, he didn't read the advanced chapters yet.
    Probably one of my favorite ideas of the whole New 52. I always love it when someone comments on Clark's Kryptonian sounding forced and like one had memorized a textbook.

Do you consider yourself an immigrant?
    No, and I don't think Clark would consider himself one either. That doesn't negate my direct decent from being a core, inescapable part of my being. I am first generation Nigerian-Brazilian born in America. That's how I'd label myself definitively. American is short had for that.

What I mean is like he wasn't raised by immigrants and he doesn't look different than all the white dudes in Smallville.
    But it doesn't just come down to phenotypical (lol "fanatical") differences or similarities. I see black and Hispanic people literally every day, but that didn't alleviate the slight otherness I'd find myself occasionally feeling. In some cases it intensified it. And you're overlooking his powers and (depending on the incarnation) his mind. It's well documented that even though Clark looked like all of the other kids he'd still feel "other" for a number of reasons depending on the incarnation. I've come to believe that one can view his powers as both a metaphor for coming of age, and the twinge of difference someone might feel growing up for a number of reasons. It's pretty multipurpose, as I see it.

The way I see it, I was reminded of my roots via my mom and some of my taste for food, and Clark is reminded of his roots via his powers. In a technical sense he's an immanent, but he functions as a first generation Earth born Kryptonian.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-19-2017 at 10:51 PM.

I very, very much agree with this. While I think Superman himself approximates this story fairly well, I think there's room to get even closer to the heart of the idea. This is about 30% of my personal hype for Jon Kent. I'm really hoping they start touching on that soon.

Probably one of my favorite ideas of the whole New 52. I always love it when someone comments on Clark's Kryptonian sounding forced and like one had memorized a textbook.

No, and I don't think Clark would consider himself one either. That doesn't negate my direct decent from being a core, inescapable part of my being. I am first generation Nigerian-Brazilian born in America. That's how I'd label myself definitively. American is short had for that.

But it doesn't just come down to fanatical differences or similarities. I see black and Hispanic people literally every day, but that didn't alleviate the slight otherness I'd find myself occasionally feeling. In some cases it intensified it. And you're overlooking his powers and (depending on the incarnation) his mind. It's well documented that even though Clark looked like all of the other kids he'd still feel "other" for a number of reasons depending on the incarnation. I've come to believe that one can view his powers as both a metaphor for coming of age, and the twinge of difference someone might feel growing up for a number of reasons. It's pretty multipurpose, as I see it.

The way I see it, I was reminded of my roots via my mom and some of my taste for food, and Clark is reminded of his roots via his powers. In a technical sense he's an immanent, but he functions as a first generation Earth born Kryptonian.
    Gotcha. You explained it perfectly.

I really liked that touch, though I'm also partial to that STAS idea that Superman has such precise muscle control he would be able to affect any accent he wanted.