Page 153 of 245 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 3672
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

According to WSJ, JL has cost almost 300 million + marketing. Do you think it'll underperform at the BO? And if so, what do you think will be the future of the character played by Cavill?

Henry Cavill: "Geoff [Johns] and I have been delving into the history of the character to get to the core of who Superman is. This is the first time we see the true Superman. The Superman who is confident, and sure, and full of hope and joy."

Cavill made it clear that there's no Justice League without Superman... "It's much like the United States with the League of Nations. Without that keystone, the Justice League doesn't really work. It's still a fantastic group of people, but Superman tends to be the heavy hitter of the League. He sometimes takes a leadership role, but most of the time it's Batman who takes a leadership role. Superman is more the moral compass for the League."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/justi...ut-him-a155209

This is good, I just don't want it to become an accepted norm in the lore of Superman that he has to die first to become something that he always was. That's my only concern with him being "fixed" in the movieverse after his movie death. Now that its been done in the movies after two decades of Warner trying so hard to get it done in fact, its high time the concept finally goes away now, not become cemented as some key necessary aspect his character.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

So long as Christ metaphors are a thing, Superman will continue to do the death and resurrection/ascension dance. Even Morrison knew that you couldn't do a definitive Superman story in the 21st century without some mention or showing of the monster, and some form of death. Both of his longest running Superman related works (All Star and Action) both heavily feature these things at the crescendo in their own unique ways. And it's not even just the fault of Jurgen's mediocre punch fest. Moore's fantastic Whatever Happened is partly responsible, and in the DNA of all Superman death stories going forward.

At this point, Superman literally beating death in some way is something that I think is as ingrained into the DNA of the character as Lex Luthor. But nothing says the story has to suck, have zero emotional impact, or be not fun. That's on the writers and/or filmmakers. Again, Morrison made it awesome twice (while making commentary on its over use while using in Action).

The way the movie went about it was pretty clunky to say the least, but conceptually speaking, I think it was a pretty decent idea. The Christ metaphor was far more heavy handed than it needed to be, but the bare bones idea that Superman was this spark of light in a dark world, and his absence was so very noticeable and impacting (in universe) that it lit up that dark world a few shades brighter. He gets to come back to that small reward for staying on his grind, and that's really cool. He doesn't become the better version of Superman--he's always (theoretically and conceptually speaking) been some shade of that guy-- but instead the world has gotten a little brighter, and has thus allowed him to feel a bit more upbeat about things. How it actually played (plays) out is another story, but conceptually speaking it's not the worst way to do it.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 11-11-2017 at 05:51 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Henry Cavill: "Geoff [Johns] and I have been delving into the history of the character to get to the core of who Superman is. This is the first time we see the true Superman. The Superman who is confident, and sure, and full of hope and joy."

Cavill made it clear that there's no Justice League without Superman... "It's much like the United States with the League of Nations. Without that keystone, the Justice League doesn't really work. It's still a fantastic group of people, but Superman tends to be the heavy hitter of the League. He sometimes takes a leadership role, but most of the time it's Batman who takes a leadership role. Superman is more the moral compass for the League."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/justi...ut-him-a155209
    Finally! My biggest gripe with Superman in BvS was that he was not all these things, especially one not confident. He did not feel like Superman to me in Man of Steel till its closing moments. But it can work as an origin story. BvS felt like an origin as they dragged his origin. It looks like i can finally be fully satisfied with Superman. Let us wait and watch. Honestly, a Superman who is so unsure of himself can't be all the things mentioned. Leader, moral compass: such things won't work and he would be reduced into just a heavy hitter. Let us see how they translate it in the film. If JL manages it then the trilogy can be more satisfying as a whole.

According to WSJ, JL has cost almost 300 million + marketing. Do you think it'll underperform at the BO? And if so, what do you think will be the future of the character played by Cavill?

BO is something i don't know. At worst we can expect 700 million. Personally, i feel it would be above 900 million with a shot at 1 billion. It must earn more then Wonder Woman. There's goodwill associated with Wonder Woman. Add in the entire league 900 appears sure. I don't know what WB think as good enough. 873 million did not satisfy WB. Man of Steel was not enough even if 666 million must be second only to Spider-man as an origin film at that point of time. So, let me repeat what has been discussed by now. Earn as much as satisfactorily good for WB. Henry Cavill's performance is well received then his sequel is a possibility. Its possible that they have plans but are holding off for the result or maybe to hide spoilers. One billion plus increases the chances by a lot and 900 can be said a BO success.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-11-2017 at 07:30 PM.

I think the movie will probably get in the ballpark of a billion, +/-. Even if it's only mediocre, the brand recognition will carry it.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I'd say low end, 750 mill, which wouldn't be an outright flop, but probably would mean an end to the DCEU as it has been. I think everyone but Gal and maybe Jason Mamoa will be largely done . Cavill's Supes maybe does a cameo in Shazam or WW 2 at best to finish out any contractual obligations. I think high end, 1.5 billion. If that happens, it may be possible that Warners may keep Snyder and Whedon involved as a team on DCEU films. More realistic and likely with the positive word is 900mill to 1-billion and some change. That would assure the DCEU continues on its current course.

If it cracks a billion, JL 2 is guaranteed and a MOS 2 with Cavill becomes very likely.If people really respond well to Supes return, they will fast track a new Superman film, maybe even pushing back some other DC films.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 11-12-2017 at 02:06 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Funny how people always want Superman to be confident and sure of himself till they actually get it then they call him an arrogant bully who doesn't listen to anyone. And the beat... goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    Funny how people always want Superman to be confident and sure of himself till they actually get it then they call him an arrogant bully who doesn't listen to anyone. And the beat... goes on.
    It doesn’t have to be one or the other. In All Star Superman he was confident and incredibly compassionate.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It doesn’t have to be one or the other. In All Star Superman he was confident and incredibly compassionate.
    was all-star based on a foundation of a realistic earth or in a caricature earth?

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    BO is something i don't know. At worst we can expect 700 million. Personally, i feel it would be above 900 million with a shot at 1 billion. It must earn more then Wonder Woman. There's goodwill associated with Wonder Woman. Add in the entire league 900 appears sure. I don't know what WB think as good enough. 873 million did not satisfy WB. Man of Steel was not enough even if 666 million must be second only to Spider-man as an origin film at that point of time. So, let me repeat what has been discussed by now. Earn as much as satisfactorily good for WB. Henry Cavill's performance is well received then his sequel is a possibility. Its possible that they have plans but are holding off for the result or maybe to hide spoilers. One billion plus increases the chances by a lot and 900 can be said a BO success.
    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I think the movie will probably get in the ballpark of a billion, +/-. Even if it's only mediocre, the brand recognition will carry it.
    Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I'd say low end, 750 mill, which wouldn't be an outright flop, but probably would mean an end to the DCEU as it has been. I think everyone but Gal and maybe Jason Mamoa will be largely done . Cavill's Supes maybe does a cameo in Shazam or WW 2 at best to finish out any contractual obligations. I think high end, 1.5 billion. If that happens, it may be possible that Warners may keep Snyder and Whedon involved as a team on DCEU films. More realistic and likely with the positive word is 900mill to 1-billion and some change. That would assure the DCEU continues on its current course.

If it cracks a billion, JL 2 is guaranteed and a MOS 2 with Cavill becomes very likely.If people really respond well to Supes return, they will fast track a new Superman film, maybe even pushing back some other DC films.
    I hope Superman/Henry will be unanimously well received this time to ensure him a solo movie and a better treatment in the DCEU. I would be ok to have a Superman movie with a lower budget (100/150 ml) if they fear that a movie with Superman could underperform at the BO.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

So I have watched Suicide Squad Extended Edition and actually fell in love with this movie for the first time. Additional dialogues and scenes helped this movie a lot more than I though it would and the film itself looks and sounds like a high quality picture with a nice and simple story. I can’t understand why would anyone consider it THAT bad as they do, because Suicide Squad’s flaws are overshadowed by how much good this movie has.

I also watched Wonder Woman today, which would make it a 4th time vieweing for me, and I also can’t understand why it is considered the best DCEU movie that takes this world in the right direction. I mean the quality, characters and story of Wonder Woman is just as good as Man of Steel, Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad and if you would want to, you can find all flaws you want in Wonder Woman as well, it is not a perfect movie. Wonder Woman is great, but I can’t see how it is a DCEU savior or right direction, because Man of Steel and others were just as good. I like all 4 movies because they are all different and good for own different reasons. I hope DCEU continues to be that way, because to have more unique super hero movies is wonderful, where one doesn’t try to be as comedic centered as the previous one *cough*GotG*cough*ThorRagnarok*cough*.

My biggest issue with Thor Rangarok by the way would be that the movie lost its identity that was builded for Thor solo movies during previous two and it panders to what people liked about other MCU movies, completely forgetting about that solo movies are suppose to be different from one another, just like in comic books each solo series is different in the meaning of visuals and story telling, because characters and their personal worlds need that in order to be identified as unique and with its own personality.

Which is why words like “Wonder Woman is the right direction for DCEU” scares me, because I’m afraid WB might start trying to do all of their future movies trying to be like Wonder Woman, thus losing unique identity of the films just like Thor Ragnarok did which looks more like Guardians of the Galaxy + Avengers than actual Thor solo sequel, with Thor bahving more like Tony Stark or Starlord 2.0 rather than like Thor himself.

It's kind of sad that people think there has to be a "formula" to make a good super hero movie. Come on, movie is a form of art. Art is suppose to be freedom of expression. If we start putting boundaries on art then good movies are indeed going to die eventually.

BANNED

Apparently a leaked still of spoilers:
    Supe
    end of spoilers from the movie is making the rounds on Reddit at the moment.

Also, the post-credits scene is spoilers:
    Lex being busted out of Arkham by Deathstroke, Lex makes plans to assemble the Injustice League
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 11-12-2017 at 10:41 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Supe

Lex being busted out of Arkham by Deathstroke, Lex makes plans to assemble the Injustice League
    end of spoilers
    If that last bit happens, I will freaking cheer!
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Supe

end of spoilers
    I'm getting terrible flashbacks of the Sinister Six scene in The Amazing Spider-Man 2.