Page 2 of 245 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

You spend too much time worrying about Superman the idea/icon/ monolith and not enough time remembering that there's a guy doing all of this, you end up with a pretty hollow character. That's the one constant thing I've heard about this movie: "Superman feels sorta hollow".

That's so strange to me because I feel like they purposefully set themselves up for one of the most genuinely empathetic takes on the character in the last decade. I mean he's this dude from Kansas who had to expose himself to the world, fight the last of his people, kill a man, and then pick up the pieces of his and everyone else's life after that day. But they kept mode shifting. I mean lord knows they didn't do much character work in the first movie, but that felt more deliberate to accentuate the speed of the events (not done too well but still made sense why to me). This is all, presumably, build up for a character driven follow up.

And from what I hear that's what BvS is surprisingly (for the most part) but Clark's character remains basically as thin and "iconic" as before. It's a shame because there's some really REALLY great ideas in there. The "Superman was just the dream of a farmer from Kansas" line (from the trailers mind you) gets me every time. There's a real guy under all the iconography and expectations, and it's a damn shame they were to scared to really dig in. I mean who the hell cares if it makes him seem weaker, green, or less adept in comparison to Batman or Wonder Woman. They didn't create All Star Superman or even the 80's reboot Superman when they made him, so they shouldn't write him like they did.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Honestly cancel JL. Don't do it until a few years down the line. I'd rather Superman have a solo movie made by someone who truly loves the character
    I wish I knew someone who did live action, Sam Liu and All-Star Superman is an animated flick which I know put effort into making Superman look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You spend too much time worrying about Superman the idea/icon/ monolith and not enough time remembering that there's a guy doing all of this, you end up with a pretty hollow character. That's the one constant thing I've heard about this movie: "Superman feels sorta hollow".

That's so strange to me because I feel like they purposefully set themselves up for one of the most genuinely empathetic takes on the character in the last decade. I mean he's this dude from Kansas who had to expose himself to the world, fight the last of his people, kill a man, and then pick up the pieces of his and everyone else's life after that day. But they kept mode shifting. I mean lord knows they didn't do much character work in the first movie, but that felt more deliberate to accentuate the speed of the events (not done too well but still made sense why to me). This is all, presumably, build up for a character driven follow up.

And from what I hear that's what BvS is surprisingly (for the most part) but Clark's character remains basically as thin and "iconic" as before. It's a shame because there's some really REALLY great ideas in there. The "Superman was just the dream of a farmer from Kansas" line (from the trailers mind you) gets me every time. There's a real guy under all the iconography and expectations, and it's a damn shame they were to scared to really dig in. I mean who the hell cares if it makes him seem weaker, green, or less adept in comparison to Batman or Wonder Woman. They didn't create All Star Superman or even the 80's reboot Superman when they made him, so they shouldn't write him like they did.
    Too be honest, just like in MOS, you could literally write all of Superman's lines in a page.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Too be honest, just like in MOS, you could literally write all of Superman's lines in a page.
    That's because writing the stoic icon is easier than actually creating a character for him. Some people think it's the idea of him being "a man of few words", but that doesn't cut it when your character is just made up of a bunch of adjectives and you're doing a character driven story. It's been three years real time and we still have no idea who Clark supposed to be in this universe.

It's strange, I feel like I'm going to really like the movie (from what I hear) regardless of my favorite character in the film being the most boring.

I actually think I'll like this film too, but its JL that sounds like a hot mess from the ideas I've heard thus far. Its totally taking the high points of this film and shitting all over them for...wait for it....making Batman awesome. Where have we seen that before? (Answer: everywhere the character shows up). Its enough that even though I think I'll like this move, I still want Snyder gone.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

That's because writing the stoic icon is easier than actually creating a character for him. Some people think it's the idea of him being "a man of few words", but that doesn't cut it when your character is just made up of a bunch of adjectives and you're doing a character driven story. It's been three years real time and we still have no idea who Clark supposed to be in this universe.

It's strange, I feel like I'm going to really like the movie (from what I hear) regardless of my favorite character in the film being the most boring.
    Superman barely speaks. What is that? Is like you said, he is just there. Wonder Woman has just as many lines as he does. WTF?

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I actually think I'll like this film too, but its JL that sounds like a hot mess from the ideas I've heard thus far. Its totally taking the high points of this film and shitting all over them for...wait for it....making Batman awesome. Where have we seen that before? (Answer: everywhere the character shows up). Its enough that even though I think I'll like this move, I still want Snyder gone.
    Take a look at my avatar. This elseworlds Superman told Batman not to give up after a failed attempt. Yep, he's part of a story where Batman showed up and yet it was Superman who was the star, with credit to a man and a woman other than Batman who inspired him in the same story. I agree, JL doesn't look good to me as a continuation of Dawn of Justice, but seriously, some people need to get to know other characters aside from Batman and their stories. I agree about Snyder though, while I did somewhat enjoy his take on Watchmen, well, it just gets too slanted away from the story of the formation of the JL as I knew it. It always seems that when some directors do it for a solo character in DC, it's not as bad.
    Last edited by DieHard200904; 03-24-2016 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Superman barely speaks. What is that? Is like you said, he is just there. Wonder Woman has just as many lines as he does. WTF?
    It's hilarious to think that Wonder Woman, a supporting character in this film, has just as many lines as Superman one of the two lead characters. In fact he isn't just a lead, he's the bedrock from which this whole world is made up of. Oh good, I'm not even done actually: this whole new movie is, at it's core, about Superman!

How does he have a many lines as a character who's not in the film very often and is still largely an enigma. That....that's just...wow.

But again, I think I'm really gonna like this film regardless lol

It's hilarious to think that Wonder Woman, a supporting character in this film, has just as many lines as Superman one of the two lead characters. In fact he isn't just a lead, he's the bedrock from which this whole world is made up of. Oh good, I'm not even done actually: this whole new movie is, at it's core, about Superman!

How does he have a many lines as a character who's not in the film very often and is still largely an enigma. That....that's just...wow.

But again, I think I'm really gonna like this film regardless lol
    It is hilarious. Wow, Snyder sucks.

And before anyone rips on him, you don't have to like Landis' vision for the character. I don't love every single one of his ideas. But he has a vision. And he routinely demonstrates a genuine desire to write said vision and an affinity for the character. Which is a lot more than can be said for recent past architects of Superman stories.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-24-2016 at 07:29 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

And that is a big problem, Superman is underdeveloped.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    And before anyone rips on him, you don't have to like Landis' vision for the character. I don't love every single one of his ideas. But he has a vision. And he routinely demonstrates a genuine desire to write said vision and an affinity for the character. Which is a lot more than can be said for recent past architects of Superman stories.
    Yeah it's really just a fact of MOS and (it seems) BvS.

This is why I never give Cavil any props beyond "yeah he looks like what a version of Superman would look like". I mean how can I give someone props on their acting when they don't actually do much acting at all? You can't sell THE FREAKIN' MAIN CHARACTER OF YOUR MOVIE on just looks, stoic poses, and stern glares. That's not a character in a story. That's a model on a runway.

I can't believe BvS doesn't rectify this.

Hey maybe the swath of bad Superman news here is a sign that maybe we'll get some good Superman news on the comics end for Rebirth instead.

.....What?

Yeah, yeah I know.

Yeah it's really just a fact of MOS and (it seems) BvS.

This is why I never give Cavil any props beyond "yeah he looks like what a version of Superman would look like". I mean how can I give someone props on their acting when they don't actually do much acting at all? You can't sell THE FREAKIN' MAIN CHARACTER OF YOUR MOVIE on just looks, stoic poses, and stern glares. That's not a character in a story. That's a model on a runway.

I can't believe BvS doesn't rectify this.
    To Cavill's credit. It's not his fault. That goes to Goyer and Snyder.