Page 227 of 245 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,405 of 3672
    Spectacular Member

Not to derail the thread into talking about Marvel, but I think that many of their movies have appropriate balances of comedy and drama. Black Panther had the perfect tone. Some comedy, but overall pretty serious. Winter Soldier and Civil War actually took their stories very seriously. I think (with the exception of Ragnarok, which did take the comedy way too far in my opinion), the Marvel movies chose a tone that works for the story/character they are working with for each film/project. Spider-Man: Homecoming was a teen comedy/drama, Winter Soldier and Civil War were political thrillers, Ant Man was a comedy, Daredevil is a serious crime drama, etc.

Plus, I think the problem with DC's movies has been more based around the fact that the stories are convoluted and the characters are inconsistent more than the tone being problematic. Justice League actually had the tone I would want from a JL film, and most of the characters were written pretty much how I would expect them to be.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

WB and their weird advertising for the JL blu-ray: https://twitter.com/justiceleaguewb/...75531461378053

Cavill's response to a Zachary Levi's post...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgHN7G2DHLh/

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Wonder Woman had a lot of humor, wasn't all doom and gloom. And that worked out well enough for the DCEU. Shazam looks to take a light hearted approach too. I think the point WB missed with
    Man of Steel and Batman v Superman was that not all movies have to be The Dark Knight, nor should they be.
    As a person who hasn't seen a Marvel movie in the theater since GotG 2 I can honestly say I don't want that. But that's the thing Marvel movies are Marvel's Avengers and Marvel's Black Panther. They are not open to interpretation. Man of Steel was just Man of Steel, BvS was just BvS, Wonder Woman wasn't DC's Wonder Woman just Wonder Woman, Interpretations all. Hell Superman the Motion Picture was an Interpretation. With this approach you could realistically have Bales Batman fight alongside Ben Affleck's cause DC has Infinite Earths.
    Last edited by Lokimaru; 03-09-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I hope too that Black Panther shows the way, but I can bet you Disney is looking at the box office of Ragnarok and Black Panther and are wondering how they can somehow take the campathon that was Ragnarok and apply it to the Black Panther IP for the sequel in the hopes of maximizing the box office potential of the sequel, story integrity or logic be damned. Their way of thinking will likely be : " wow, Black Panther made a ton of money...But if it was funnier and less serious, it would made a ton more! After all, look what it did for Thor!"
    Well, given the money BP has made, if I were Marvel I'd be wondering how much more cash I could've made if more of my films took themselves a little more seriously. BP isn't that far behind Thor 3 in box office, and is still in theaters.

But I think that Disney/Marvel has actually done a fair job (not a great job) of providing variety in their films. Yes, they learned with Iron Man (when Incredible Hulk didn't perform) that humor is the key to their success. But they've also given us more serious films like Winter Soldier and the Panther. They lean very, very, very heavily on their humor but they are capable of doing other stuff.

Perhaps with Panther's success we'll see more of that....but at the end of the day, comedy is still Marvel's bread and butter.

Its one of the things I liked about Man of Steel. It didn't just try to copy what Marvel was doing, it tried to be a little deeper, a little more serious....it tried to actually say something worth saying. I was quite saddened to see Justice League abandon that for being Marvel-lite. A smart business choice, perhaps, at least in the short term, but what does DC have to offer now? Why would I waste money and time on a DC movie when they're now just doing what Marvel does, but aren't as good at it?
    Last edited by Ascended; 03-09-2018 at 05:14 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Funny picture I found:

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Cavill's response to a Zachary Levi's post...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgHN7G2DHLh/
    Oh my god that Shazam/Captain Marvel/Billy Batson (whatever we may call him) suit looks soooo freaking awesome. God I'm so pumped for this film.

Quote Originally Posted by PushaMan600 View Post
    Oh my god that Shazam/Captain Marvel/Billy Batson (whatever we may call him) suit looks soooo freaking awesome. God I'm so pumped for this film.
    True and I'm not saying a superhero movie cannot be whimsical or even be mostly a comedy or be very oriented to children. I hope Shazam is very whimsical and that it has many humorous moments because it fits the character.
    Power with Girl is better.

Are you going to reprise your role as Lux Luthor in another “Superman” film?

Jesse Eisenberg: I hope so. I mean, I have no idea is the truth. I love playing the character. Probably in terms of movie acting, it’s the most enjoyable character I’ve had the opportunity to play. So I would love to do it again. But I don’t know what their slate is. If you have any pull, please use it.

Were you supposed to have a bigger role in “Justice League?”

Jesse Eisenberg: No. I was in it after the credits.

There was speculation online that they cut some of your other scenes.

Jesse Eisenberg: No, no. Actually, on the contrary, they added some stuff.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/je...or-1202723448/

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Are you going to reprise your role as Lux Luthor in another “Superman” film?

Jesse Eisenberg: I hope so. I mean, I have no idea is the truth. I love playing the character. Probably in terms of movie acting, it’s the most enjoyable character I’ve had the opportunity to play. So I would love to do it again. But I don’t know what their slate is. If you have any pull, please use it.

Were you supposed to have a bigger role in “Justice League?”

Jesse Eisenberg: No. I was in it after the credits.

There was speculation online that they cut some of your other scenes.

Jesse Eisenberg: No, no. Actually, on the contrary, they added some stuff.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/je...or-1202723448/
    Interesting....I assume when Eisenberg said they " added stuff" I'm assuming that was when Snyder was still in control and before he "stepped away" for Whedon.

I for one hope he returns in another movie. I know I'm in the minority, but I liked his Lex. Yeah the nervous tics and mannerisms were a bit much,.But underneath that was a version of Lex that bore more than a passing resemblance to the Lex from Birthright, which is one of my favorite takes on Luthor. The end credits scene of JL shows that Eisenberg can tone it down and focus in on the cooler calmer version of Luthor. I like the fact he isnt just the stereotypical burly intimidating middle aged guy many people see in their head when they think " Lex Luthor". I like the fact he was in this version the combination of Mark Zuckerberg and.Elon Musk. He doesn't quite surpass Michael Rosenbaum's Lex or even John Shea's Lex, but I maintain he is the best cinematic live action portrayle of Lex to date.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Interesting....I assume when Eisenberg said they " added stuff" I'm assuming that was when Snyder was still in control and before he "stepped away" for Whedon.
    Yeah, the Lex/Deathstroke scene was filmed by Snyder.

I for one hope he returns in another movie. I know I'm in the minority, but I liked his Lex. Yeah the nervous tics and mannerisms were a bit much,.But underneath that was a version of Lex that bore more than a passing resemblance to the Lex from Birthright, which is one of my favorite takes on Luthor. The end credits scene of JL shows that Eisenberg can tone it down and focus in on the cooler calmer version of Luthor. I like the fact he isnt just the stereotypical burly intimidating middle aged guy many people see in their head when they think " Lex Luthor". I like the fact he was in this version the combination of Mark Zuckerberg and.Elon Musk. He doesn't quite surpass Michael Rosenbaum's Lex or even John Shea's Lex, but I maintain he is the best cinematic live action portrayle of Lex to date.
    I think we'll see him again, popping in every DCEU movies to recruits villains.

I think we'll see him again, popping in every DCEU movies to recruits villains.
    Lex and Sivana having a chat in Shazam?

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Lex and Sivana having a chat in Shazam?
    Oh, they've a lot to talk about, so many things in common... both are bald industrialists and mad scientists. BFF material.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 03-11-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Embodied withing that hope is a fundamental belief in potential of Snyder Cut.