Page 51 of 245 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Where in my entire post did I say ANYTHING about comparing Reeves Supes with Cavill Supes?

I said that Cavill Supes could learn a thing or two about how to become the more positive and inspirational Superman that the audience seems to want him to be. Nothing more.

I have defended Cavill Supes from fanatical Reeves fans since MOS came out. I was NOT advocating for turning Cavill into Reeves. I have no idea how you got that impression from what I wrote.
    My apologies. I just prefer Cavill's Superman to be his own thing. It's like you can't just be a good person you gotta be a saint or you can't be Superman in some peoples eyes.

What the point of Superman being inspirational if he starts from a place so far beyond where we are?

Do you admire the guy using cheat codes or the guy that busts his ass to get though on his own?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Quoted for truth.
    Cavill Superman should have been man of the people Superman. Man of the people Superman would top CR Superman any day of the week. Man of the people Superman is a lot better than Campy Superman or brooding all the time self doubting Superman.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Cavill Superman should have been man of the people Superman. Man of the people Superman would top CR Superman any day of the week. Man of the people Superman is a lot better than Campy Superman or brooding all the time self doubting Superman.
    I hope that David Goyer is still on board in some capacity for the MoS sequel(s). I liked his ideas and plans he had for the character, just give him a good director/screenwriter to help with the script/dialogues.

David Goyer: The challenge for us moving forward is how to depict Superman in a world like this, in a world where Twitter exists, in a world with social media. To me, the interesting challenge is “Could he solve hunger in the horn of Africa? What would he do with the Arab Spring? What would he do in Syria?”

Partly you could argue “How could he not intervene in something like the situation in Syria?” but the other argument is “Is it a hornet’s nest if her intervenes? Does he have the wherewithal or the knowledge to intervene in something like this?”

To me, that’s the interesting challenge. It’s easier for Batman because he just exists in this little pocket of the world, he’s not violating sovereign airspace every day.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06...-steel-sequel/

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    My apologies. I just prefer Cavill's Superman to be his own thing. It's like you can't just be a good person you gotta be a saint or you can't be Superman in some peoples eyes.

What the point of Superman being inspirational if he starts from a place so far beyond where we are?

Do you admire the guy using cheat codes or the guy that busts his ass to get though on his own?
    You're preaching to the choir. I've used these exact same arguments myself many times over.

I agree with everything you say here. My suggestion is born strictly from a desire to find ways to bridge the gap between fans like you and me and fans who clearly have trouble embracing this version of Superman. If we want these movies to be successful, we need to get as many fans onboard with the new vision as possible.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

So screenjunkies ran a video wondering whether Wonder Woman was the "new Superman", can you believe it. Wonder Woman allegedly kills scores of german soldiers even though she believes they're under Ares' thrall, then totally walks away from mankind, no one but me has a problem with that but Superman broods about his place in the World a little bit and everybody screams to the heavens, just goes to show Men are held to a much higher standard...

I hope that David Goyer is still on board in some capacity for the MoS sequel(s). I liked his ideas and plans he had for the character, just give him a good director/screenwriter to help with the script/dialogues.

David Goyer: The challenge for us moving forward is how to depict Superman in a world like this, in a world where Twitter exists, in a world with social media. To me, the interesting challenge is “Could he solve hunger in the horn of Africa? What would he do with the Arab Spring? What would he do in Syria?”

Partly you could argue “How could he not intervene in something like the situation in Syria?” but the other argument is “Is it a hornet’s nest if her intervenes? Does he have the wherewithal or the knowledge to intervene in something like this?”

To me, that’s the interesting challenge. It’s easier for Batman because he just exists in this little pocket of the world, he’s not violating sovereign airspace every day.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06...-steel-sequel/
    All that was said before they decided to shove Batman down our throats hijacking the Man of Steel sequel. As soon as Batman got into the picture they forgot about Superman intervening in international matters or he didn't until Lois's life was in jeopardy (not in time to save Olsen). We didn't get our MOS sequel because they have to bring Batman in no matter what.
    What I hope is that eventually Superman ends up in the hands of people who actually wants to make a good movie in which he is the star. Someone who isn't looking for a excuse to hijack his movie to prop other characters.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    You know, back when I was in basic training, our CO piled so much work on us we couldn't possibly get it all done and still hit the bunk by light's out. And he told us that the work had to be done no matter what, and if we were caught out of our bunks we'd be punished accordingly. So the answer was to not get caught.

The only way you beat the kobayashi maru is to cheat.

Just saying.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Question Hmmm ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You know, back when I was in basic training, our CO piled so much work on us we couldn't possibly get it all done and still hit the bunk by light's out. And he told us that the work had to be done no matter what, and if we were caught out of our bunks we'd be punished accordingly. So the answer was to not get caught.

The only way you beat the kobayashi maru is to cheat.

Just saying.
    Could this have been where the producers and writers of the first Star Trek movies got the idea that Kirk had ... "cheated" ... in his career - and wanted to punish him for that?

Btw, what happened when your commanding officer realized his scheme wasn't going according to plan?

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

That's the term used.

"Here's what I know about the thinking at DC Films these days: Superman is a priority. The character has been wounded in recent years by Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, and the folks behind the scenes want to rehabilitate the Man of Tomorrow. They want to fix him, make him less mopey and less unsure of his place in the world. They view his upcoming resurrection in Justice League as sort of a soft reboot, an opportunity to right the wrongs that have been done to the Last Son of Krypton."

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/...f-steel-sequel
    I still fail to see how was Superman "damaged" by MOS and BVS. It actually gets to my nerves. But hey, that's just me.

Hope and optimism, yay! Even if don't like much BvS, I'm not a big fan of their reactionary way of doing movies. Let's hope they don't end up being just cheesy. The tone isn't the problem, it's the execution.
    Yeah. Cheesy stuff should be out of the table. And personally I didn't see any problems in the execution, but I see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    After Pak's showing on Superman with Doomed (turning Superman into a Hulk) and Truth (a whiny, shaved head, MMA fighter), Pak is beyond a wrong choice for the character. His work with Aaron Kuder before Doomed was "okay". He's just got a lot of bad ideas about Superman and I believe subscribes to the "I must fix Superman by changing him". Which resulted in him breaking the character and DC killing off New 52 Supes ans replacing him with a more traditional Supes. Combined with how fast Rucka and others cut ties with New 52 Supes' relationships, it's just like it was after New Krypton ended. DC hitting the reset/status quo button hard.
    Yeah. They tend to do that when they freak out. They choose to go the easy route and hit the reset button.

As for that MMA fighter comparison, it was a mean one, but totally fair. Sad, isn't it?

Yeah, that's more of the author's speculation. Rather than fact from the Snyders and Terrio.

Recall that Terrio had been saying prior to BvS's release that JL would be brighter and more inspiring. BVS being the darkest movie in the series and serving as the dark middle chapter for the characters.
    Not only that, but let's also remember what the Snyders said about the characters (and IMO they're right): the characters had to go through "something" (i.e. ordeals) in order to become the symbols we all love. I mean, Perry White said it beautifully in BVS: "it's not 1938. Apples don't cost a nickel". It's just not that time anymore. And it hasn't been for at least 25 years. People are not that naive and hopeful. Superman can't just be loved by everyone right from the start. And he can't become Earth's greatest hero just like that. After all, the movies take place in a realistic, modern world. And this isn't Donner's Superman. And should NOT be. Ever.

As a possible director choice? Patty Jenkins has expressed an admiration for the Donner Superman movies and even did an homage to at least one scene from Superman the Movie in the Wonder Woman trailer.

If Wonder Woman does well, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets promoted to one of the DCEU's go-to people. She could possibly do it. Now, obviously, we don't necessarily want her to re-create the Donner movies, but at least her vision may be somewhat more in line with what people may want for Superman.

Obviously, the success of Wonder Woman will do much to determine the viability of this option. But if it does well, I'm pretty sure we'll be hearing about Patty Jenkins getting offered an even higher-profile movie in pretty short order. Maybe she'll do Justice League 2. Maybe she could do MOS 2. Who knows?
    As far as I know, Snyder will direct JL2. And I actually hope he does MOS2 as well. Dunno about Jenkins. We'll see. But if anything, and like I've said before, I don't want a retread to the Donner Superman.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    I feel like I would love a MOS sequel where he goes into the phantom zone to rescue those guys from the first movie (Emil Hamilton and that guy from Law and Order) after hearing a distress call. Maybe Faora is the main villain this time (could always use more female big bads in cbms) or maybe Brainiac is in the phantom zone for some reason. Maybe he finds Krypto in there and learns more about his home planet. Just a straight up adventure story in the phantom zone, preferably with no Riddler Lex and dead Jimmy.
    Also I agree that going back to Donner is a terrible idea and would be seriously overcompensating. We already had that with Superman Returns. Besides maybe getting the classic score back.
    Those people are dead, if the novelization is anything to go by. Agreed on the Donner thing.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I'd be all for bringing back the Williams score for Supes if they then also bring back the Danny Elfman score for Batman.

Otherwise, keep the Zimmer MOS theme for Supes
    Which is a very cool theme.

I don't think it really says that we'd rather see Reeve than Cavill. Just that Cavill could learn a thing or two from an appearance by Reeve. It would only be as you describe if from that point on, every scene Cavill was in featured him doing his best Reeve impression.

But yeah, in retrospect, that idea wasn't my best. Still, something like that would be nice. Something about his brush with death giving him a new lease on life would be nice.
    I do agree with you in that there could actually be a "Jesus being tempted by the Devil in the desert" moment in the movie. Man, can't wait for this movie.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Exclusive: Warner Bros. Eyeing Matthew Vaughn to Direct ‘Man of Steel 2’: http://www.collider.com/man-of-steel...atthew-vaughn/

Exclusive: Warner Bros. Eyeing Matthew Vaughn to Direct ‘Man of Steel 2’: http://www.collider.com/man-of-steel...atthew-vaughn/
    Please take it. Dude is friends with Mark Miller, so Supes will be in good hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Please take it. Dude is friends with Mark Miller, so Supes will be in good hands.
    Mark Millar or Frank Miller?

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Idk, dude. Doesn't Mark Millar hate Superman and the DCEU?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Idk, dude. Doesn't Mark Millar hate Superman and the DCEU?
    Millar doesn't hate Superman. He loves Superman--probably more than any other fictional character that he didn't create.

If you're talking about the version of the character in the DCEU, then no he's not at all fond of him. But I'm sure the idea of one of his good friends who shares a similar vision for the character coming on and reworking things would make him pretty happy.