Page 57 of 245 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    A matter of tastes, and all that jazz.
    I dont thin it's just a matter of taste but fact. MOS and BvS has proven it without any possible doubt

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by W8IN4KAL-EL View Post
    I dont thin it's just a matter of taste but fact. MOS and BvS has proven it without any possible doubt
    To you, perhaps.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Kind of Superfriends-ish. WW is tiny in that pic.

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    Well, I do think that Man Of Steel was NOT dark and brooding. I mean, a guy trying to find his place in the world isn't something "dark". It's just life.
    MoS was far from dark and brooding. That smile on Cavill's face when he flies for the first time? Pure joy, and the soundtrack nailed the emotion. And Pa Kent? I totally feel for the situation he found himself in. My daughter had been born just a couple days before I saw that movie with my son, and all the scenes with Pa hit hard. I can easily see myself in his shoes; the struggle between keeping your kid safe while also preparing them for all the sh*t life can throw at you.....unless you're a parent, you can't fathom what that is like. Everything Pa Kent did, with the exception of the death scene (which was just badly conceived) was spot on.

But the reality is, nearly forty years later, Donner's films are still a huge thing in the Super-mythos. A lot of people outside the fandom (and inside sadly) still think of Chris Reeve in the suit when they think of Superman, and in their minds that's what Superman is *supposed* to be. And because DC decided to screw the character in the 80's, that mindset hasn't been challenged or replaced on any level.

Any attempt to take Superman in a different direction, even one that has solid precedent within the publication history, was going to be polarizing. But history will be the ultimate judge. Let's not forget that when it first came out, Superman the Movie was polarizing as well. I even think the reviews were a little worse than what MoS got. Yet today it's a classic and still gets a lot of love. In ten years the same might very well be said of Man of Steel.

BvS, Im not so sure about.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

MoS wasn't dour and brooding, that's why Superman's heel turn into self hatred and misery in BvS was so shocking. Real wrong-headed move.

Conceptually, I dont have a problem with what BvS started out doing with Clark. He's doing his Superman thing, working at the Planet, living with Lois. And there were still people in the world, mostly those who felt threatened by him, who saw him as a (potential) threat.

Nothing wrong with that setup at all. The idea of the entire world rolling over and asking Superman for his autograph as soon as he shows up is not only a somewhat out-dated idea, but its just far less fun than a Superman who still has to win some people over. What's the point of being a universally adored hero if you all you have to do to earn it is show up?

The problem BvS had in this regard was not spending enough time showing us that. We had a few random shots of Superman doing super-stuff and people treating him like an angel or god (which goes well overboard on the "I like Superman" front), but no development beyond Clark looking uncomfortable with all those adoring faces staring at him. On the other hand, we get a ton of the "opposition's" view, as Lex, Bruce, and that idiot Senator all call him out.

The rough framework of what BvS was saying and doing wasn't all bad (although any Superman who loses a fight against the Bat.....gha!) but the film spent too much time on the wrong things and ignored the right things.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I've said it before: That first half of MOS is one of the coolest Superman related things I'd seen in decades. Henry Cavill's Clark Kent is the awesomest and realest version of the character ever. MOS was very close to be a masterpiece. If they hadn't drop the ball at some point past the first half of the movie. They should have added more levity to the action sequences. The movie should have ended up with Superman giving a press conference near the ruins, and Lois asking the first question instead of him just talking to the general and then driving his bike to the offices of the daily planet.

Then what happened in BvS is just unforgivable.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Zack Snyder posted this picture on Vero:

aygzqxhs35qy.jpg

"First test with Henry... I knew right away he was my Superman".
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    Zack Snyder posted this picture on Vero:

aygzqxhs35qy.jpg

"First test with Henry... I knew right away he was my Superman".
    Take a close look. That's Cavill in Chris Reeve's suit. I've been waiting to see this pic for years.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

There was a low-res version of the pic circulating years ago...

Maybe in a few years, Snyder will release a color version, or a video with Cavill's screen-test.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by W8IN4KAL-EL View Post
    Fact how? Everything in this entertainment industry is subjective, there aren't objective facts, it absolutely is a matter of taste.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    There was a low-res version of the pic circulating years ago...

Maybe in a few years, Snyder will release a color version, or a video with Cavill's screen-test.
    Say what one will about Snyder, but his casting Cavill as Supes was the best bit of casting since, well, Donner cast Reeve.

I know there will be people wanting to throw tomatoes at me for saying this...But Cavill's actually looks BETTER than Reeve did wearing that suit.

I almost wish now they would just put Cavill in the Chris Reeve suit and just use the John Williams theme when Supes comes back in JL. Maybe that'll be enough to shut up the " Man of Murder/ Hobo of STEEL/ not muh Superman" crowd up.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Say what one will about Snyder, but his casting Cavill as Supes was the best bit of casting since, well, Donner cast Reeve.

I know there will be people wanting to throw tomatoes at me for saying this...But Cavill's actually looks BETTER than Reeve did wearing that suit.

I almost wish now they would just put Cavill in the Chris Reeve suit and just use the John Williams theme when Supes comes back in JL. Maybe that'll be enough to shut up the " Man of Murder/ Hobo of STEEL/ not muh Superman" crowd up.
    Hobo of Steel?! Lol! I had no idea that was a nickname from the anti crowd. Anyways, you won't have to dodge any tomatoes from me. I think Cavill looks better in that suit, too.

MoS and BvS are so polarizing. I don't love the movies, but I don't think they are abominations. I wonder if there are any middle-of-the-roaders like me around.

Quote Originally Posted by stephtanner View Post
    Hobo of Steel?! Lol! I had no idea that was a nickname from the anti crowd. Anyways, you won't have to dodge any tomatoes from me. I think Cavill looks better in that suit, too.

MoS and BvS are so polarizing. I don't love the movies, but I don't think they are abominations. I wonder if there are any middle-of-the-roaders like me around.
    Count me among you. I enjoyed them but they aren't without their issues. I don't get the outright vitriol from a very vocal extreme group of fans. I mean, I get what they oppose in the films,but you'd think Snyder killed their dog or kicked their cat or set fire to all of their comics collections. I don't get that 4 years later you STILL have people going off on MAN OF STEEL and you have people that can't seem to stand that other fans don't have the white hot hatred towards the movies they do. I mean if you don't like a movie....well....you don't have to see it again or the sequels. Just move on with your life and go watch something you do enjoy.
    '
    I love the Reeve films and I like The Cavill films. It is possible to like both!

and yes, Hobo of Steel was one of the more popular cute nick names the haters use. I find it amusing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post

You know Im with you on that. I have my issues with the films but Cavill is an amazing casting choice. And if anyone throws tomatoes at you I'll use my "Dad voice" and stop it.

I almost wish now they would just put Cavill in the Chris Reeve suit and just use the John Williams theme when Supes comes back in JL.
    That way lies nostalgia and ruin, man.

Maybe that'll be enough to shut up the " Man of Murder/ Hobo of STEEL/ not muh Superman" crowd up.
    Nah, they'd just complain more, and say that Snyder raped their childhoods and desecrated the holy alter that is the Donner films. It'd be the worst of the Superman Returns hate mixed with the man of murder foolishness, and the child borne from the hatred would eat the internet and all our candy.

~ Black Panther.