Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default List all the female Superheroes who's significant others aren't another Superhero.

I've heard some people say that female are never paired with regular people. Is this true? Who are the exceptions to this trope. Wonder Woman use to be an exception but not anymore. We see male characters paired with regular people all the time. The Flashes usually have regular people for love interests, Superman has Lois, Batman has had normal female love interest just as regularly as costumed ones. Where are all the regular dude/gal, Superhero pairings?

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Cameron Chase. although she's not technically a super-hero per se.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Terry Long comes to mind. Though, there's an argument to be made for him being a supervillain. Or, that I'm some weird shade of jealous of him. The Renee Question dated nonsuperheroes, She-Hulk's dated nonsuperheroes, Wonder Woman's mostly dated non-superheroes. Rapture dated Dragon before he was a superhero, if he ever arguably was one. If Elektra counts, she's had romantic/sexual relations with more non-superheroes than superheroes. Black Canary's husband was a fancy soldier, but he wasn't a superhero, right? (Normally he's just a cop and/or her mom's husband.) Zatanna's dated non-superheroes. Dragonfly's husband wasn't a superhero (he was a villain, but he didn't start out super-villain, eitiher). Black Widow was paired with Egghead in the recent cartoon movie.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Sara Pezinni (Witchblade) has fit that description.

Though this topic also brings to mind what defines a superhero, because I consider Dragon (Savage Dragon) a superhero myself. Even when he had a job as a cop. Lots of superheroes have jobs, his just happened to line up with what he wanted to do anyway. Ditto for Sara Pezinni.

I guess having superpowers and being dedicated to fighting evil should do it right?

In general I'd like more books I'm reading to have a real relationship in general, especially at Marvel/DC that is often lacking.
    Last edited by Psycho; 06-21-2014 at 03:09 AM.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Ugh, defining what is or is not a super-hero is a morass. Almost impossible because there's as many exceptions as examples.

Yeah, stick with "close enough for jazz".
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

• Kate Spencer, the latest iteration of Manhunter. She has a ordinary human ex-husband.
    • Karma, in X-Men comics has had several unnamed girlfriends, none of whom were superhumans.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Pharah x Mercy
    There is a land called passive-agressiva, and I am their queen.

Kate Kane and Maggie Sawyer.

Jessica Drew and David Ishima, way back in the 1970s.

And Barbara Gordon and Jason Bard, at least I think so. Maybe someone can confirm it for me?
    Psychologically, the guns you use will define you ~ Pharoahe Monch

I like ladies who wear purple | Kate Bishop | Helena Bertinelli

Wonder Woman is The Love of My Life | Forza Azzurri

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

She-Hulk and Zapper. She-Hulk and Wyatt Wingfoot. And then she married John Jameson who was/become again Man-Wolf then Star God. Which ended in annulment because Starfox made her fall in love with John.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Invincible Member

I want to say Carol Danvers had a guy named Rossi, but I might not be 100% right on that one. I remember him mostly from that issue of the X-men where Rogue goes to save him cuz Carol's memories were taking over Rogue's. So, I might be thinking their relationship might have been more than what it was.

But yeah...powered female/non-powered male relationships are something I'd like to see more of. I think maybe some creators/fans find them difficult cuz of the old superhero trope of the hero has to save the love interest. There might be idea that some folks would be uncomfortable if the girl saves the guy all the time? Personal though I don't think you have write the stories that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I want to say Carol Danvers had a guy named Rossi, but I might not be 100% right on that one. I remember him mostly from that issue of the X-men where Rogue goes to save him cuz Carol's memories were taking over Rogue's. So, I might be thinking their relationship might have been more than what it was.

But yeah...powered female/non-powered male relationships are something I'd like to see more of. I think maybe some creators/fans find them difficult cuz of the old superhero trope of the hero has to save the love interest. There might be idea that some folks would be uncomfortable if the girl saves the guy all the time? Personal though I don't think you have write the stories that way.
    I brought this up because someone I was talking to made the point that female superheroes have traditionally played the role of surrogate girlfriends to male adulencents rather then characters ment for female fans to live vicariously through. Thus they are always paired with a male superhero (characters ment for male fans to live vicariously through) rather then regular male love interests who are ment to symbolize any female readers ideal of an ideal love interest if female readers were the target demo for female supers.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 06-21-2014 at 08:09 AM.

Dazzler had that guy, Johnny I think, who she saved throughout the multiverse in X-Treme X-Men.. Didn't follow through with the series but based on previews and what not I take it they're no longer together.

Um. . really folks?

the FIRST response wasn't:

Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor disproves your theory, as you can't really dismiss it due to events in the past 3 years.

(ignore this Nu52 Supes/Wondy crap, and go with the history).
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    Um. . really folks?

the FIRST response wasn't:

Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor disproves your theory, as you can't really dismiss it due to events in the past 3 years.

(ignore this Nu52 Supes/Wondy crap, and go with the history).
    I mention Wonder Woman in the first post.

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

I think Supergirl & Dick Malvern in the old comics.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I mention Wonder Woman in the first post.
    yes, but you say she doesn't apply any more.

my point is that the recent 3 years of decision that she's with Supes now, doesn't negate 5+ decades of being with Steve Trevor.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif