Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Default Has anybody noticed that the negatives of BvS are all over the place? Anybody know why?

I've yet to see the movie, but I've discussed it with friends, who've seen it, and I feel I'm going to enjoy most of it. Their scores ranging from 6.5-8.5/10.

However in terms of the negatives, and even the positives, why are they all over the map? One thing that is the general consensus is that the editing is poor; those 30 chopped off minutes really hurt the flow. Also Batfleck, and WW, are awesome, with people looking more forward to a solo Batfleck movie more than ever.

Other than that, I'm hearing:

- too much action

- not enough action

- great cameos

- a few good cameos

- the beginning is amazing

- the beginning is choppy

- nobody has motivation, or character moments

- Batfleck, Holly Holms, Alfred are great

- Henry doesn't do much

- Henry has more to do, and is more vulnerable, than in MoS

- The last 30 min are amazing

- The last 30 min are boring

- I was bored the whole time

- I was at the edge of my seat, even tho the movie was okay

- Too dark, no humor

- Alfred and Lex are funny, and the dark tone helps

- This is not a child's movie

- Silly things happen that break tension

- Doomsday fight is amazing

- Meh Doomsday

- Amazing Bats vs Supes fight

- Bats vs Supes skirmish?

- Tailor made for comic book fans, and nerds

- Makes comic fans, and nerds, wish it was never made

What weirder is that hardly anybody mentions the dream sequence, but when it is mentioned it's usually considered an amazing highlight.

Why is it all over the place?

This has to be the best post I've seen about the reviews so far.

I think people made up their minds about this film a while back and are simply cherry picking whatever strikes their fancy to diss it.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I think it comes down to a lot of people talking about it in the negative came into the film thinking it would be something like Marvel puts out and when it wasn't like that at all they got their panties in a bunch over it. I also think there were a lot of people that simply had already made up their minds about it ahead of time and because of that they aren't going to like it no matter what.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Because individual people have their own opinions and didn't get together to make lists and consolidate what they did or didn't like about a movie?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Because individual people have their own opinions and didn't get together to make lists and consolidate what they did or didn't like about a movie?
    Lol, exactly. That's why it's called "mixed reviews". Some liked it, some didn't. It's pretty rare when a movie strikes the right balance to appeal to all kinds of demographics, and it's pretty clear this movie is geared towards a certain type of viewer. Obviously, a movie isn't required to appeal to everyone if they just want to tell a good story, but if you want to build a multi-billion dollar franchise, it would make it a whole lot easier if it did.

I'm not talking about (nor do I care) about that conspiracy nonsense. Usually when a movie is bad, or has negative points, the negative(s) are practically the same across the board.

For this movie there are negative reviews where one's positives are the negatives of another negative, and vice versa. Or the positives in a negative might be the negative in a positive.

It's all over the place.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Even so, the almost even spread of varied responses is remarkably diffuse. For most movies, it tends to lean heavily one way (e.g. predominantly acclaim for THE DARK KNIGHT) or the other (predominantly scorn for GREEN LANTERN), but so far, this movie, it's hard to get a read on the response.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

A lot of people have been going into this film expecting a more popcorn-y MARVEL film, which is beyond me since WINTER SOLIDER is like my favorite comic flick in recent years and isn't like that at all. Cap 2 and MAN OF STEEL are actually my favorite modern superhero films.

Try and just go see it and judge it for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Even so, the almost even spread of varied responses is remarkably diffuse. For most movies, it tends to lean heavily one way (e.g. predominantly acclaim for THE DARK KNIGHT) or the other (predominantly scorn for GREEN LANTERN), but so far, this movie, it's hard to get a read on the response.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Yup. If go and read the negative reviews, you'll see that it's bad AND good for the same reasons. It's confusing.

BANNED

i just dont know what to think. I cant judget he film until i see it by myself , but is a pity if the two comic titans cant do well

Anyway, maybe i will share the criticism, may not, but i cant help to note the existence of some trends and biases here and there. Like, the dark and gritty was trendy back in time, you know, TKJ, TDR, Watchmen, all were praised back in time. Now its like the trent is the opposite and dark means bad, i dont know if thats a fact. Altought Marvel can do darker stuff like Daredevil and its praised. Maybe DC just cant win with the fans, and i guess if they would try more lighthearted, people will find a reason to complain whatsoever

I feel like I am back in 2013 when MoS was released. It feels like the exact same thing. You have one group that liked it and are very defensive and you have another group that didn't like it and are very vocal. The groups being about even make the back and forth between them feel nonstop.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Yup. If go and read the negative reviews, you'll see that it's bad AND good for the same reasons. It's confusing.
    Yeah noticed it too.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

BANNED

I think SS will do well. Looks like people love humour, even if its dark humour, but is DC, so you never know, there will be something that some people will hate in a very vocal way, it can be joker tatoos, or will smith beard, there will be something, lolr

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    I'm not talking about (nor do I care) about that conspiracy nonsense. Usually when a movie is bad, or has negative points, the negative(s) are practically the same across the board.

For this movie there are negative reviews where one's positives are the negatives of another negative, and vice versa. Or the positives in a negative might be the negative in a positive.

It's all over the place.
    I think it's all over the place because most did not know what to expect.

WHY????

I had a lot of folks as me why are those 2 fighting in the first place.

You got a bunch of toys that came out early-NO ONE is touching. Unlike the recently Civil War ones that are vanishing off shelves as is the DC Girls toys.

I think the one problem this film will face is "Kids are leaving the theater CRYING".

That is the LAST thing you want when you got toys to sell with a holiday coming up.

That is the LAST thing you want to hear when you have a 3 day weekend coming up with Good Friday and Easter. How many parents are now changing their minds?

The film will do fine but who further on down will pay for it? Aquaman? Cyborg? GLC? Especially if Civil War blows it out of the water.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kanon the Sea Dragon View Post
    I think SS will do well. Looks like people love humour, even if its dark humour, but is DC, so you never know, there will be something that some people will hate in a very vocal way, it can be joker tatoos, or will smith beard, there will be something, lolr
    I think that film will be fine.

Those are bad guys trying to do good. SO you can get away with the dark humor.