Thread: Snyders Joker

BANNED

Default Snyders Joker

I dont know if im the only one, but ..im not sold on Snyders Joker. I miss when he was an actual character. Now he feels like a walking plot device. Just a impersoned force of Chaos . But maybe is not just Snyder, its been for a While that with the excuse of him being umpredictible, any creator can whatever with him and it would be IC
    Is someone with me on this

oh, and also im not the biggest fna of Snyder run, i wonder how much of his popularity is due the Capullo art , but thats other story, lol

Incredible Member

I have to agree, Joker in Snyder's stories seems to be really much a "marty-stu", like how easily he took out every member of the Bat-Family in Death of the Family for example

I haven't really enjoyed Snyder's work on the title either, I've read up to Zero Year which I found kinda boring so havent read anything since. I plan to pick up the series again when he leaves.

BANNED

I am not sure he has ever been an actual character.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Snyder hasn't done anything different than what many or most writers do with Joker. I like Snyder's take on Joker. It's pretty similar to Morrison's take in that Joker is sometimes written as this almost ally to Batman in some weird way, either in the reader's mind or Joker's mind.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Amazing Member

I call it the Heath Ledger effect.

Incredible Member

I don't like his Joker either. I also don't like that he gave him a full origin. Sorry but under that Red Hood was full personality with motivations and what not. All Snyder did was give him a smile. To me that's an origin, and that little twist the did to try to please fans who wanted the multiple choice concept to remain was bullshit. It was clearly the dude from the beginning.

Yet I pissed off even more, because in interviews yesterday all Snyder did was talk about how Joker was to big and mythological to have an origin. I want to smack him in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nuke View Post
    I don't like his Joker either. I also don't like that he gave him a full origin. Sorry but under that Red Hood was full personality with motivations and what not. All Snyder did was give him a smile. To me that's an origin, and that little twist the did to try to please fans who wanted the multiple choice concept to remain was bullshit. It was clearly the dude from the beginning.

Yet I pissed off even more, because in interviews yesterday all Snyder did was talk about how Joker was to big and mythological to have an origin. I want to smack him in the mouth.
    Well, the original Red Hood 1, Liam Distal, was murdered and replaced some time before or during the Red Hood gang's assault on Gotham, and we still don't have a name or origin for the person who did that (and most likely became the Joker afterwards).

Personally, I'm way on board with Snyder's Joker, with or without unreasonable levels of near-omnipotence when the plot calls for it. He's very much a horror-villain in Snyder's hands, someone who finds a weakness in his victims and uses it to torment them, but not without losing classic Joker traits like panache, theatricality, mystery and the dichotomy between order and chaos. If there's one thing I miss from him it's a bit more humor, although I can see why a writer would avoid the challenge of writing dialogue that's actually funny and not just stuff like "This one will really KILL YOU, Batman!". Kelley Puckett, Paul Dini and Steve Engelhart could, but few others have succeeded. I also think that making Joker into an event-level villain was an inspired move. Joker should be something that everything else is dropped for, and not a simple punching bags that shows up for a few pages here and there.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post

Personally, I'm way on board with Snyder's Joker, with or without unreasonable levels of near-omnipotence when the plot calls for it. He's very much a horror-villain in Snyder's hands, someone who finds a weakness in his victims and uses it to torment them, but not without losing classic Joker traits like panache, theatricality, mystery and the dichotomy between order and chaos. If there's one thing I miss from him it's a bit more humor, although I can see why a writer would avoid the challenge of writing dialogue that's actually funny and not just stuff like "This one will really KILL YOU, Batman!". Kelley Puckett, Paul Dini and Steve Engelhart could, but few others have succeeded. I also think that making Joker into an event-level villain was an inspired move. Joker should be something that everything else is dropped for, and not a simple punching bags that shows up for a few pages here and there.
    Well said, I agree with all this.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post

Agreed; I drop the book until Joker arc is complete. Therefore, Joker's rare appearances really works for me.

I find the Joker to be boring; he's degenerated into Zsasz in whiteface. His themes of comedy, playing cards and clowns are usually ignored in favor of murder and mutilation.