Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Zack Snyder on ‘Man of Steel’ Death Toll: “What About ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’?”

I went, really? And I said, well, what about [‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’]? In ‘Star Wars’ they destroy five planets with billions of people on them. That’s gotta be one of the highest death toll movies in history, the new ‘Star Wars’ movie, if you just do the math.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/man-of-stee...oll-star-wars/

He probably has a point there.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

One's a bunch of evil guys firing a death laser to show they're terrifying and unstoppable (and even THAT stops to focus on the victims), and is a pretty significant turning point in the plot. The other is a blunt, in-your-face 9/11 parallel where people die offscreen in the midst of Superman's brawl for the sake of adding scale to a fight scene. Storytelling-wise, there's a lot more going on there than a pure numbers game.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    One's a bunch of evil guys firing a death laser to show they're terrifying and unstoppable (and even THAT stops to focus on the victims), and is a pretty significant turning point in the plot. The other is a blunt, in-your-face 9/11 parallel where people die offscreen in the midst of Superman's brawl for the sake of adding scale to a fight scene. Storytelling-wise, there's a lot more going on there than a pure numbers game.
    Most of the destruction is Zod's fault.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

The Force Awakens? Pssh
    What about Abrams film that preceded TFA, Star Trek Into Darkness?

This film also came out in 2013, also invoked "9/11 imagery", and to top it off, was written by a 9/11 truther (Roberto Orci).

Everyone seems to forget about the senseless destruction of STID, and how Abrams literally glossed over the destruction and restoration at the end of his film.

Extraordinary Member

How many people did Luke kill when he blew up the Death Star in 1977? Probably hundreds of thousands. And unless Princess Leia was the only prisoner on the station he definitely killed innocent people along with Tarkin.

People always seem to forget the 7 billion people Supes saved by destroying the World Engine.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Star Wars is not traditional superhero stuff. There is no prior expected notion of the Star Wars "heroes" being expected to prevent/save more, they've always failed to prevent planets from being extinguished. So Zach lost that point right there. But the article of course shuts down Zach with further distinctions.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-24-2016 at 08:06 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I have defended MOS in the past, and will continue to (even if I end up disliking DOJ) but Snyder is all wet here. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Star Wars is not traditional superhero stuff. There is no prior expected notion of the Star Wars "heroes" being expected to prevent/save more, they've always failed to prevent planets from being extinguished. So Zach lost that point right there. But the article of course shuts down Zach with further distinctions.
    it's not like they are fighting and destroyed the whole planet in the proccess.

i think the ruin on snyder is not accept critics and just brush off

another thing, he said that the building were evacuated before the zod fight but then on bvs the story is different

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSJett View Post
    People always seem to forget the 7 billion people Supes saved by destroying the World Engine.
    This......

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    This. The number can be one, a million, or infinite. It is not about the number of people who died. It is about the consequences and impact that those deaths have in the plot. In SW, it is an actual plot point that has a bearing in the arc of the characters in that universe. In the other, it was a just a crash boom bang sequence that was quickly brushed off. Big difference.
    If you have already seen BvS you will realize Zack Snyder is not a man of subtlety. And by the looks of it, fails to see it as well.
    Searching for Samus Aran. Still.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

In fairness, I do largely agree with Char Aznable about the last Star Trek: while it would've been a somewhat outdated reference for Snyder to make relative to the still white-hot TFA, that's a lot closer to what went down in MOS in terms of presentation and effect. Heck, it was in the same year.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Can't people just accept that heroes no matter how super they are, cannot save everyone? I mean just look at how Superman and the JL and then some could not save millions of people from getting disintegrated by Imperiex alone, and there's a point to look at. Although I wouldn't expect a film maker to be familiar with that material. But seriously, Superman saving everyone is BS from someone who would not like a Superman movie anyways.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Can't people just accept that heroes no matter how super they are, cannot save everyone? I mean just look at how Superman and the JL and then some could not save millions of people from getting disintegrated by Imperiex alone, and there's a point to look at. Although I wouldn't expect a film maker to be familiar with that material. But seriously, Superman saving everyone is BS from someone who would not like a Superman movie anyways.
    False.

I'm eager to see a great modern Superman in cinema. MOS didn't offer that with the exception of a few fleeting moments . It's why I wish WB had gone with a sequel to MOS with a lighter tone instead of jumping right into BvS. I thought Goyer/Snyder did Clark a disservice in the first film, and did not nearly enough to really bring Clark's true character to the forefront.

I also don't think that people expected Superman to save everyone, but they probably would have liked a few more examples of him worrying about civilian casualties. Heck, it would have been nice to see him really helping out with the cleanup effort in the aftermath.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    False.

I'm eager to see a great modern Superman in cinema. MOS didn't offer that with the exception of a few fleeting moments . It's why I wish WB had gone with a sequel to MOS with a lighter tone instead of jumping right into BvS. I thought Goyer/Snyder did Clark a disservice in the first film, and did not nearly enough to really bring Clark's true character to the forefront.

I also don't think that people expected Superman to save everyone, but they probably would have liked a few more examples of him worrying about civilian casualties. Heck, it would have been nice to see him really helping out with the cleanup effort in the aftermath.
    Zod clearly defeated attempts by Superman to move him away from the city. Superman ended the destruction in a practical way, and certainly tried not to do this, by snapping Zod's neck. Yeah, an extra scene of him helping the cleanup would make it better, and I disagree witH DC/WB for fast tracking Justice League above a Superman sequel, but the fight really wasn't going to be clean. And the clear intent was to just kill people unless Superman somehow paralyzed or killed him.