Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default why do they keep turning Lex Luthor into a manic character?

Ever since the Donner's Superman movie directors have this annoying habit of turning Lex into an almost comical caricature type character. Why? This characterization really doesn't have any origin in the comics, and I really don't see the benefits of it. Lex is suppose to be a smart cunning manipulative character not a manic agent of chaos? he's not the Joker.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Ever since the Donner's Superman movie directors have this annoying habit of turning Lex into an almost comical caricature type character. Why? This characterization really doesn't have any origin in the comics, and I really don't see the benefits of it. Lex is suppose to be a smart cunning manipulative character not a manic agent of chaos? he's not the Joker.
    Couldn't agree more. Well done Lex is my favorite character - but from Hackman to Eisenberg they keep wanting to make him a cornball. No idea why

BANNED

Remember that Lex was originally a mad scientist.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Not any origins in comics? I have read plenty of silver age issues that would disagree with that.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Remember that Lex was originally a mad scientist.
    Even that version wasn't manic though.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 03-24-2016 at 12:22 PM.

I guess the calculating, manipulative Luthor from post Crisis just isn't the most interesting thing to put on screen? His real strength as a concept is how he opposes and compares himself to Superman philosophically, and you can have that in a movie while still giving him features that stand out more in a visual sense. Also, a lot of Lex's plans and scheming implies that he suffers from some form of mental illness, and Hollywood has never been very subtle when portraying that.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

My best guess is they know the Joker has quite a following, so keep trying to make other villains more Joker like.
    It doesn't work for Luthor imo though
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

BANNED

I liked his Portrayal in Young Justice. Manipulative, All ways having a plan and pulling strings.

I don't mind the Power hungry takes either though.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Given the current political environment, I would think the xenophobic Luthor (the one we saw from Morrison in Action) would be perfect. If done correctly it sets up a sort of X-Men narrative of stereotypes, racism and the line between protecting something you cherish while not stepping on others. I guess that's sort of what they were going for here - but he doesn't need to be a goofball in addition

Because they have yet to do a depressive Lex.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."