Thread: Aspen Comics

Default Aspen Comics

Hi all

I've been reading comics for a few years now, but have only just come across the name Aspen Comics. Does anyone read anything from this publisher? I'd love to know people's opinion of them and their books.

Mixed bag really, as you expect from long running titles.

They started off as a more Top Cow-esque cheesecake publisher but have drifted away from that in recent years. Though they seem to dabble back in now and then, especially with their recent purchase of Big Dog Ink and subsequent publication of a few of their titles.

Well, the Humble Bumble just launched for Aspen Comics so that's a great way to get your feet wet; https://www.humblebundle.com/books/aspen-comics

The company's big title, Fathom, started in Image/Top Cow in the late 90's and has had several mini series since then. I consider that and the Soulfire series to be the best of the bunch. I also enjoyed Charismagic and Lola XOXO. Most of the titles star women (but mostly written and drawn by men?). I liked the first issue of Zoohunters, but never got around to reading any additional issues. Since the Humble Bumble offers the next two and some other issues I don't have, I'll go ahead and pick it up.
    image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

Thanks!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Hi all

I've been reading comics for a few years now, but have only just come across the name Aspen Comics. Does anyone read anything from this publisher? I'd love to know people's opinion of them and their books.
    Aspen is a good company to follow but since their partnership with Big Dog have had trouble staying on schedule. I've switched to trades with them to avoid missing anything.Big Dogs titles have been good as well. Sort of like getting 2 companies in 1. I would stick to trades however. Not a super hero centric company with more variety to their roster.

Extraordinary Member

I just recently got into Aspen by reading pretty much everything in the Fathom series of stories and highly recommend giving it a try. Just a heads up, though, this not one long book like Walking Dead or something, it is broken up into multiple volumes written and spinoff titles so try to find a reading order. Still really good though.

Beyond Fathom and Soulfire most of the other stuff is probably going to vary as every other publisher does, ranging from creators that have worked on bigger projects as well as those who are primarily indie talent.

As mentioned, Big Dog is now an imprint of Aspen which so far has been releasing re-mastered reprints of their bigger books. Legend of Oz: Wicked West is another of my favourite titles (and far from cheesecake) that you should check out if the Oz stories sound like a cool setting to you.

Amazing Member

Joan of Arc was an exceptional character during Penny for your Soul and in her own mini series, she was to get her own ongoing I think it was before Aspen bought out Big Dog Ink and everything got screwed up. The ongoing was scheduled to start in September of 2013, the preview had been released during that years Conventions.

Sadly now Joan is regulated to a special that had only been limited to 100 copies sadly all gone from their store.

Plus the variants were hue like 8-10 covers per nbook not counting store exclusives.

i pickup all the aspen comics that star kiani, if you like fathom you may like that too.

and then for some amazing art make sure to check out both the zoo hunters and also lady mechanika!

Yeah, Lady Mechanika is pretty good. But is no longer at Aspen.

I liked the Executive Assistant comics but considering who my favorite characters in general are it shouldn't come as a surprise. I found All New Executive Assistant Iris weaker than the older comics though.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
    i pickup all the aspen comics that star kiani, if you like fathom you may like that too.

and then for some amazing art make sure to check out both the zoo hunters and also lady mechanika!
    Did Zoohunters disappear for awhile along with Overtaken? They keep getting solicited but never shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Did Zoohunters disappear for awhile along with Overtaken? They keep getting solicited but never shipped.
    i am not sure, i think it just keeps getting delayed.

i completely forgot to post jinri, thats easily my current favorite aspen comic

https://www.comixology.com/Jirni/comics-series/10027

Apparently the Fathom/Soulfire event this summer is going to end up rebooting the Aspen Universe. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/...2016-solicits/

I'm interested to see how that turns out. I might jump back in with Aspen if intriguing.
    image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

All-New Member

Hi
    I generally like most of Aspen's comics. Good quality and some great artwork and covers.

I enjoy Aspen a great deal. Very hit-or-miss like most publishers, but it tends to have gorgeous artwork paired with mediocre-to-great writing. Not very super hero, as has been stated, and tends to fall more on the pessimistic side. Nowhere near as dark as Top Cow or Zenescope, though.

After Michael Turner died, there was a shift away from cheesecake in the art. Still shows up in the covers, though. Still, a lot of the stories are very empowering for the characters. Not much of a Soulfire guy, but Fathom and Jirni are both fantastic. And Zoohunters is eternally delayed but amazing.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.