Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    If DC did a big budget movie in the same vein as the Supergirl TV show people would savage it for how corny and fluffy it is. You could do a shot for shot remake of Superman 1 and not change the tone or words one bit and that movie would BOMB today for just being a sappy corny mess. No one seems to get that trying to rewatch either Superman 1 or 2 these days is kinda chore to even get through because they are just boring movies. It is why Superman Returns is such a boring and corny movie.
    I was a young teen when Superman came out in 1978, so I can always recapture that magic from back then watching it today. Yet, you're right. It would not work today. It doesn't mean a film with that type of tone couldn't work today, of course, but not like that.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or a tone that's appropriate for the character and the audience they're aiming towards? But that might always be subjective with different people having different interpretations and visions of certain characters.
    ... or the tone might become less dark with the future films. The DCEU doesn't have to be bound to what people are seeing in the current film.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    ... or the tone might become less dark with the future films. The DCEU doesn't have to be bound to what people are seeing in the current film.
    This is true, but I hope audiences stick around to see those future films.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    This is true, but I hope audiences stick around to see those future films.
    Same here. I want DC films made every year as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    I think this is severely limiting.

Do people really not think that DC could make a big budget movie with a positive, inspiring tone? I feel like marvel's success with more optimistic fare would disprove that.
    what's more inspiring than a man of steel sacrificing himself for the good of others, an act which brings the brooding bruce wayne out of his doldrums and back into the light of the world, even to the degree that everyone's favorite billionaire playboy is now looking to assemble a crack team of super heroes so that our beloved man of steel's sacrifice won't be in vain? no, my fellow dc fanatics, there weren't birds a-chirpin', bells dinging with sunshine, and a pretty girl whisperin' your name, but our 'big blue boyscout' put his life on the line so that others might live, and if that don't inspire, then the funny books just might not be your thing.

EDIT: Don't want to get into specifics of what parts I liked and did not.

Even though I personally found BvS to be merely "okay" due to pacing, character, and editing issues, my primary issue with BvS can be summed up pretty easily.

IMO, these are the greatest heroes ever created. Looking at the mixed critical and audience reception, unless this movie has amazing legs I would have to consider it a failure. The simple fact that Iron Man alone can make more money (adjusted for inflation) than BATMAN, SUPERMAN, and WONDER WOMAN is a failure in my eyes.
    Last edited by WhipWhirlwind; 03-29-2016 at 10:54 AM.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

How about Michael Cimino, he has an Oscar after all and I'm sure he's probably itching to get some work these days

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Ha! If people thought this movie was too dark...
    That was my point, sort of. I hated this film. I HATED it. And Lars Von Trier is one of my favorite directors. I posted as I did to make the point that the movie didn't fail because it was too dark; it failed because it was too dumb.

If DC did a big budget movie in the same vein as the Supergirl TV show people would savage it for how corny and fluffy it is. You could do a shot for shot remake of Superman 1 and not change the tone or words one bit and that movie would BOMB today for just being a sappy corny mess. No one seems to get that trying to rewatch either Superman 1 or 2 these days is kinda chore to even get through because they are just boring movies. It is why Superman Returns is such a boring and corny movie.
    Exactly, I love the show and all the CW shows too but let's not kid ourselves here, the episode yesterday was average (I actually enjoyed Gotham way more, but that's another story) people are just raving about it because of The Flash. The funny part it I saw stuff on social media demanding "Give the movies to the guys who do the TV shows!" they did that and it was called Green Lantern (which also probably would of been critically acclaimed if it was on TV let's be honest.)

Movies and TV are entirely different beasts, what's acceptable on my TV screen in my lounge at home isn't the same as driving to the movies, buying tickets and taking 3-4 hours out of my time. Just look at Rotten Tomatoes there are very few "Rotten" TV shows, TV is way easier to get a pass from both viewers and critics.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    That was my point, sort of. I hated this film. I HATED it. And Lars Von Trier is one of my favorite directors. I posted as I did to make the point that the movie didn't fail because it was too dark; it failed because it was too dumb.
    It hasn't failed yet.

And how smart the Trier films are depends on the viewer. I've loved some of them, but many find them pretentious and self indulgent. I can kind of see their point with Nymph()maniac. He's just as divisive as Snyder in his own way, if not more so.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It hasn't failed yet.

And how smart the Trier films are depends on the viewer. I've loved some of them, but many find them pretentious and self indulgent. I can kind of see their point with Nymph()maniac. He's just as divisive as Snyder in his own way, if not more so.
    The difference between the directors is that there is actual depth beneath the darkness in Von Trier films. Snyder's "darkness" is only dull. There is nothing underneath it. I would almost kill for a serious Batman-Superman movie. BvS was not one.

Incredible Member

Only to people who have poisoned their minds and tastes with the cynical, grimdark modern mindset. Which isn't everyone, thank God. How else can you explain Captain America being so well received. If ever there was a character open to accusations of "corny"...

Von Trier ? I'll do you one better. Get the dude who directed A Serbian Film. I bet he can do a better cape flick than Snyder/Von Tier with real characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    Exactly, I love the show and all the CW shows too but let's not kid ourselves here, the episode yesterday was average (I actually enjoyed Gotham way more, but that's another story) people are just raving about it because of The Flash. The funny part it I saw stuff on social media demanding "Give the movies to the guys who do the TV shows!" they did that and it was called Green Lantern (which also probably would of been critically acclaimed if it was on TV let's be honest.)

Movies and TV are entirely different beasts, what's acceptable on my TV screen in my lounge at home isn't the same as driving to the movies, buying tickets and taking 3-4 hours out of my time. Just look at Rotten Tomatoes there are very few "Rotten" TV shows, TV is way easier to get a pass from both viewers and critics.
    The Flash has found success because they're following some of the Marvel blueprint. Relatable yet flawed hero with a good sense of humor and action that captures the fun of the comic book world. There are dark moments but they are buoyed with a lot of fun and humorous moments to keep the mood lighter. The only difference is that Marvel films have become too formulaic while the Flash tv show can tell different types of stories since it has a whole season in which to do so.

Green Lantern tried to capture that mood but the script was a mess (Martin Cambell said it was "directed by committee" since the WB execs kept pulling it in different directions) and the big bad was an angry smog cloud. Trying to have a lighter vibe isn't what crashed that potential franchise.

The scene from BvS with Superman standing there in the burning capital building almost made me laugh out loud. It was just trying so hard to be moody and depressing. The Man of Steel standing their with a sad look on his face as a bunch of corpses burn around him. It was like a angsty teen's sketch book come to life.
    Last edited by Robotman; 03-30-2016 at 02:36 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
    Only to people who have poisoned their minds and tastes with the cynical, grimdark modern mindset. Which isn't everyone, thank God. How else can you explain Captain America being so well received. If ever there was a character open to accusations of "corny"...
    Cap is easier to accept for a modern audience: A WWII veteran, way less powerful than a sungod from Kansas, superspy/supersoldier on top. Cap got a good origin movie that was by the numbers storytelling with great casting but nothing to get excited about but he hit the ground running with WinterSoldier. I'm OK with them skipping the bythenumbers origin movie for Kal-El (and I love Cap)
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 03-30-2016 at 07:00 AM.