Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Cap is easier to accept for a modern audience: A WWII veteran, way less powerful than a sungod from Kansas, superspy/supersoldier on top. Cap got a good origin movie that was by the numbers storytelling with great casting but nothing to get excited about but he hit the ground running with WinterSoldier. I'm OK with them skipping the bythenumbers origin movie for Kal-El (and I love Cap)
    My mindset.

Cap is kinda creative, but by the numbers and it works (mostly Cap 2).

WB is going the long game with Supes, which is also fine (but Snyder isn't the right guy for him).

I don't buy that Cap is easier to accept. I think "How will modern audiences accept this?" went out the window with Rocket Racoon.

The audience will accept anything so long as you establish the rules of the universe appropriately. Also, Superman is a much more entertaining character just because of his powers.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

There's nothing wrong with Snyder. He's just the wrong fit for Superman because he doesn't understand why the character is special. He's approaching him as an icon without understanding the humanity of him. As a result, his interpretation of Superman doesn't inspire.

Snyder is...so-so. He's good at creating visual specatacles...not great at storytelling. That said, I liked BvS. I thought Man of Steel had some interesting stuff. Like others have said...I think he doesn't know what to do with Supes. But I think that problem falls on a lot of writers...not sure how to tell a Superman story so they do something like take away his powers for 500th time.

If Snyder stays - and he most likely will - I'd like to see DC/WB really take ownership of their properties and put someone in charge (above Snyder) who will check him on things. Not necessarily just lord over him and take away any creativity from the guy as a director...but who can guide him. And who he HAS to listen to. Whether that's a Geoff Johns type, I don't know.

I'd love to see what Grant Morrison could do scripting a Supes movie. I can't wait to see what Affleck does with Batman. There is a lot of hope going forward for really, really good movies with characters that we all love, in my opinion.

I just think they need to really get the right screenwriters and the right directors and put the right people in place to help guide things when it comes to the big properties and directors who are divisive (like Snyder).

Superman can certainly share the screen with batman, but he doesn't have to be a Batman type of Superman...he should still just be Superman.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Anyone else worried about David Ayer? The 2nd SS trailer got me hooked but so did the 3rd BvS trailer. End of Watch and Sabotage were abyssmal. I'm willing to be surprised by SS but Ayer certainly isn't more promising than Snyder. Yet he doesn't get that level of negativity.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Anyone else worried about David Ayer? The 2nd SS trailer got me hooked but so did the 3rd BvS trailer. End of Watch and Sabotage were abyssmal. I'm willing to be surprised by SS but Ayer certainly isn't more promising than Snyder. Yet he doesn't get that level of negativity.
    People (myself included) seemed to like Fury quite a bit. And the kind of movies he's directed/written make it easy to think he would handle characters like the squad well.

Also I haven't seen it but looking just at critical and audience ratings on End of Watch you seem to be in the minority.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    People (myself included) seemed to like Fury quite a bit. And the kind of movies he's directed/written make it easy to think he would handle characters like the squad well.

Also I haven't seen it but looking just at critical and audience ratings on End of Watch you seem to be in the minority.
    Fury looks interesting. End of watch should have been my kinda movie but the shaky cam and the excessive use of beep-you-language killed what could have been a TRAINING DAY contender (love Training Day, True Detective etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    I don't buy that Cap is easier to accept. I think "How will modern audiences accept this?" went out the window with Rocket Racoon.

The audience will accept anything so long as you establish the rules of the universe appropriately. Also, Superman is a much more entertaining character just because of his powers.
    I actually tested this. I brought my noncomic reading family to watch GOTG and they didnt even bother trying to understand the how and why. They were more into incessant quipping, talking animal snark and onscreen spectacle. Same thing with BVS a few days ago. Story went over everybody's head it was just waiting, waiting and more waiting for Batfleck to mess up Cavill's Superman. If they're representative of the casual audience make of that what you will.