Page 30 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

I had a very mixed reaction to this.

The final 40 minutes and death of Superman was gloriously depicted and visually electrifying but overall Snyder just did not have a strong vision for the movie.

It too often felt boring, disjointed, stiff and overly violent like Watchmen, you can tell the Nolans must have had major input with Man Of Steel since that was far more successful in delivering a solid story. Cavill in particular was better then, the poor guy just did not get much to work with here. This is probably the worst movie I have seen Amy Adams in.

Snyder's homages to the comic book inspirations (i.e. the numerous callbacks to DKR) felt out of place and inconsequential because they lack narrative power when they are stripped of the right context.

Any time Batfleck was onscreen the movie flowed well which gives hope for Justice League. He will be in every scene and the story structure will be simple enough for Snyder not to get confused.

Quote Originally Posted by KoriandrJean View Post
    Better yet; make the "S" platinum white, and have him wear this when he makes his glorious return!

Preferably to save the day in "Justice League, Part I" ...
    That is what I think will happen, love him or hate him, Snyder loves to take iconic scenes from the comics.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

All-New Member

I understand that the flashback sequences were half-a nod to Batman's elseword costume/injustice's setting where Superman rules the world/Crisis of infinite earth's barry warning claiming lois is the key (also Injustice, since in that game Lois Dies and Superman goes batsh** crazy) it could just have been done much shorter

I also noticed some of the Batman's fight scenes resembling the combat scenes of the Arkham Video Game Series to an extent.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I saw the movie last night and I thought it was incredibly epic!!!I don't know what movie the critics saw but I enjoyed it!

Pros:

Ben as Batman
    Gal Godot as Wonder Woman
    Jesse as Lex Luthor
    The fight sequences
    Superman dying and the emotion tied to it
    the JL cameos

Cons:

The dream sequences
    slow start

Overall a solid movie! I highly recommend it.
    Almost my exact same sentiments. There were some other things I was nitpicky about (some lines/logic, Lex killing Mercy, Lex just not being all that much of a brilliant genius he should be, etc). But yeah, I liked it, thought it was solid. Not quite as good as Nolanverse or the rebooted X-movies. But WW and Bats made the movie for me. Probably in my top 5 CBMs...

also, lol @ ppl using never-in-continuity and retconned instances of Bats killing. So old and tired...

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    My favorite bit might have been how pleased Wonder Woman looked when she was fighting. The Snyder films really need more of that -- the sense that the heroes enjoy being heroes. And how great was the magic lasso?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    I loved seeing the long list of comic creators credited at the end. Classy move by the filmmakers.
    agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    - I don't think the movie deserves the 29% it's currently sitting at on RS. It is big, dumb and loud in some respects, and has some story and casting problems, but the more I think about it, the more my opinion of it goes up. Consequently, the audience score is rating much higher.
    I'm curious to see how a review is determined as not fresh? It has a low (29%) fresh rating, but the critic score is still a mediocre 5/10 on RS.
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 03-27-2016 at 05:00 PM.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Also, I want Superman to come back in the black suit. How cool would that be? Just for a second even.

That would be awesome.

With platinum logo, as someone had suggested earlier.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    That would be awesome.

With platinum logo, as someone had suggested earlier.
    Yep. And cape or no cape. But I want him to get some more shots in the sun as well. And I want him to smile and talk to a civilian as well.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Also, someone mentioned here (i think it was here), how could Joker and Lex still be alive in a world where Batman kills? I was thinking, perhaps his code is to only kill in self-defense or in battle? Like many warrior codes. Perhaps he still won't commit murder or executions. Maybe he's never had the chance to kill Joker in battle and he is above executing defenseless prisoners. Only thing I could think of.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Quote Originally Posted by cactusmaac View Post
    Any time Batfleck was onscreen the movie flowed well which gives hope for Justice League. He will be in every scene and the story structure will be simple enough for Snyder not to get confused.
    He'll find a way. Never again will I underestimate Snyder's superpower: the ability to make my favorite thing in the world (DC heroes) a complete and total drag.

FIFY. 10 char

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    That is what I think will happen, love him or hate him, Snyder loves to take iconic scenes from the comics and suck every ounce of life out of them.

Mighty Member

Just saw BvS... NOT a big fan. the ONLY good parts to me were the scenes with batman (a few exceptions). Not even looking at this as a comic book fan, or even a comicbook movie fan, but as a general movie the quality overall, with the exception of the visuals and action, is poor. Character development, story, script, is all sub par on a good day, and the world building is so forced that even the Amazing Spiderman 2 would be ashamed.

To show you how inconsistent and weak this movie's writing/plot is, I pose some simple question:

How come when superman man saves earth from a crazy kryptonian in Man Of Steel, the whole world hates him, but when he saves the earth from a crazy kyrptonian (monster) in BvS, now everybody is sad about it and he's a hero?

What is Lex Luthor's plan? Ok, I'm going to create a kryptonian monster to kill superman, but then there will be another kryptonian monster running around...

Also, why does Superman have a problem with Batman? Because he's a vigilante? Really? this guy running around beating up pedophiles is pissing you off because he's a vigilante? Don't you have more important things to do?

I also think it's hilarious that everyone complained about Superman murdering Zod in MoS and the FIRST THING HE DOES IN BVS is kill some guy.

I went into this movie thinking it would blow MoS out of the water, which is a movie I actually liked btw, and I thought it would make MoS look terrible, but coming out of this, MoS is a superior film.

I can honestly say if I had to choose between this and Batman Robin, I'd pick Batman and Robin.(not that batman and robin is a good movie or interpretation of its characters, but at least I'd have a good time watching it.)

Yeah, say what you will about MoS (which I enjoyed btw) at least it had a coherent story which flowed smoothly. This thing was all over the place. You can see the lack of Nolan's guiding hand. Snyder is known for creating nice visuals but he desperately needs help with his story telling. I'm glad it's making money but I hope WB takes into account all the criticisms of Snyder's filmmaking skills, or lack thereof. It may be too late to get him away from Justice League but I would love to see them bring Affleck on as co-director. And I'm really hoping this is the last we see of the dark DC universe Snyder is crafting. I don't want the wise cracking Marvel world but I didn't like how forced some of the dark "realism" felt.

BANNED

Totally loved it. My wife (who's not a Comic Book follower), enjoyed the film. We share the same disregard for critic reviews. It's a totally different movie experience for them. They have to sit through the movie and nitpick each and every scene, to earn a living. They seriously just enumerate pros and cons and write the review based on that.. There is little connection with the movie, and almost ZERO background research on the possible movie references.

I'm happy, it's a good start. We have no choice anyway, as Snyder is already calling the shots on the Justice League Part 1 movie as we speak.
    #InSnyderWeTrust

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    How come when superman man saves earth from a crazy kryptonian in Man Of Steel, the whole world hates him, but when he saves the earth from a crazy kyrptonian (monster) in BvS, now everybody is sad about it and he's a hero?

The whole world didn't hate him. It's clear a huge portion of the population like him. Some are scared of him, and those scarred by the damage caused by a battle his presence on Earth attracted are the ones that hate him. Doomsday on the Lexcorp building and with the government's knowledge Lex had access to the ship makes him the bad guy. Plus, controversial figures are more celebrated in death.

What is Lex Luthor's plan? Ok, I'm going to create a kryptonian monster to kill superman, but then there will be another kryptonian monster running around...
    Superman is a figure the government is too reluctant to even create a deterrent for, that half the world worships. Doomsday doesn't have the problem. We can also infer he thought it wouldn't hurt him; blood of my blood, he says, and is not ready for Doomsday trying to punch him.

Also, why does Superman have a problem with Batman? Because he's a vigilante? Really? this guy running around beating up pedophiles is pissing you off because he's a vigilante? Don't you have more important things to do?
    He brands criminals (which leads to harm in prison, as they mention), beats them up without due process, is totally brutal, and in his mind, criminalizes the poor.

I also think it's hilarious that everyone complained about Superman murdering Zod in MoS and the FIRST THING HE DOES IN BVS is kill some guy.
    Who does he kill? I wouldn't assume he killed Lois's captor.

I can honestly say if I had to choose between this and Batman Robin, I'd pick Batman and Robin.(not that batman and robin is a good movie or interpretation of its characters, but at least I'd have a good time watching it.)
    This line just makes me think you don't appreciate the philosophical weight of these iconic characters and can't stomach anything stronger than a popcorn flick. I can understand if it's not everyone's cup of tea, but B&R? Really? You can't be serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    This line just makes me think you don't appreciate the philosophical weight of these iconic characters and can't stomach anything stronger than a popcorn flick. I can understand if it's not everyone's cup of tea, but B&R? Really? You can't be serious.
    If there had been one genuine philosophical question posed by the film I'd have regarded it much more highly. My favorite comic writer is Alan Moore but my favorite writer in all history is Samuel Beckett. This film didn't go over my head, it went under it.

BANNED

So does Zod know about Darkseid? Because apparently, Lex Luthor knows based on the Kryptonian ship data.