Default Star Wars: Should Poe have interacted with Rey more?

One of the things about the Force Awakens is that two of the leads-Poe and Rey-never really formally meet at all. Granted, Poe is missing for a good chunk of the film and Rey is captured when he's found out to be alive, and they only seem to share a short glance at the end when Finn is being wheeled away. Still, would've been nice to have a short scene (I think there's one in the novel).

Granted, there are some precedents for this in Star Wars. In ESB and ROTJ, Hammil doesn't really have that much scenes with Lando at all, apart from him being rescued-even in ROTJ there's not much between the two, apart from Luke telling Lando to leave the Sail Barge (and don't forget the droids!). In TPM, Anakin and Obi-Wan-one of the key relationships of the trilogy! is not given much time, apart from the introduction and later funeral scene. Also, apart from Palpatine's commendation of his bravery, I'm pretty sure Obi-Wan never meets Anakin's other "Master", Palpatine/Darth Sidious. (At least not in the films, I'm sure they meet in Clone Wars or something).

I wonder if 8 will do something with this at all, or focus more on the Finn/Poe "Bromance" while Rey is being trained as a Jedi by Luke or something. Any thoughts?

Incredible Member

I definitely wish they had shared at least one scene, if not multiple, but I think a big part of it came to changes in storylines. According to Oscar Isaac, Poe was originally supposed to die early on. It wasn't until later that Abrams decided to save Poe and have him return later in the film. Based off this, it seems like the original plan was for a lead duo- Rey and Finn- rather than the trio that has seemingly formed with Poe's survival. Hopefully they'll get to share some screen time come the next film.

Incredible Member

I wouldn't call Poe a lead in the movie. He was a catalyst for the plot to get moving, but that's about all.
    Sounds perfect.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I wouldn't call Poe a lead in the movie. He was a catalyst for the plot to get moving, but that's about all.
    Pretty much this. IIRC, he was originally supposed to not make it through the end of the movie, either (much like Han in the first movie). He wasn't really a lead, but I would expect that his role will become more robust in the next film or two.