Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 194
  1. #1
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    24

    Default What is your thoughts so far on the Superman/ Wonder Woman series?

    It's been 9 issues and I'm wondering what are people's opinion on it's run thus far? The series seems to keep getting positively reviewed for the most part, and has been one of the Top 40 best selling comics between DC and Marvel. In fact it's the highest selling comic that has Wonder Woman as a prominent character (not counting Justice League). It seems to be pretty successful so far. I don't think this spells good news for people who dislike the relationship though.

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,481

    Default

    Love it!

    Charles Soule writes Diana and Clark so well, and he's doing a great job of developing their relationship slowly and organically, while still giving us all the action and adventure we could ever want. He's done a great job balancing out Diana and Clark's moments of awesomeness so neither of them looks like a supporting cast member.

    Tony Daniel? My god. That art. I look forward to this book every month as much for that gorgeous art as I do for the story.

    This is one of my favorite books right now, and I continue to hold out hope that one day soon, Charles Soule will get the chance to write Diana's main book.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

    --Lord Alfred Tennyson--

  3. #3
    Fantastic Member SofNascimento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Overall it's being good, with the end of the first arc being the highlight, I honestly loved issue #6, it was both smart and emotional. Yet I find Soule storytelling in general to be too unrefined, it seems the only way he has to convey information is to throw them in your face, I mean, how many times Wonder Woman had to say she is daughter of Zeus or something is that line? He also systematically throwing away all the amazing possibilities Azzarello created for Wonder Woman, with bringing back boring things from Wonder Woman past.

    But the worst was this last issue with the dialogue that she can't go to space. Hurting the character like that and being so coarse was the best way he could come up with explaining why she doesn't follow Superman to space. That I cannot forgive so I dropped the book.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

    "Come find me when you wake up."

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,938

    Default

    Superman/Wonder Woman is one of my top 3 favorite books each month. Soule is giving us, hands down, the best New 52 interpretation of Wonder Woman so far. He effortlessly blends her mythological and superhero worlds to great effect while showcasing Diana as confident, powerful, regal, inspiring, and compassionate at the same time without the excessive violence and deviancy found in other books that she's currently appearing in. I love Tony Daniel's work but I will admit that his art could be a bit more consistent in this book. I really hope that DC announces Soule as the writer of Diana's solo book once Azzarello's last issue is revealed.
    Currently/Soon Reading: Black Manta, Blue & Gold, Infinite Frontier, Justice League/Justice League Dark, Justice League Infinity, Nubia & the Amazons, & Wonder Woman.

  5. #5
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    Overall it's being good, with the end of the first arc being the highlight, I honestly loved issue #6, it was both smart and emotional. Yet I find Soule storytelling in general to be too unrefined, it seems the only way he has to convey information is to throw them in your face, I mean, how many times Wonder Woman had to say she is daughter of Zeus or something is that line? He also systematically throwing away all the amazing possibilities Azzarello created for Wonder Woman, with bringing back boring things from Wonder Woman past.

    But the worst was this last issue with the dialogue that she can't go to space. Hurting the character like that and being so coarse was the best way he could come up with explaining why she doesn't follow Superman to space. That I cannot forgive so I dropped the book.
    it seems like everyone keeps forgetting WW has never been able to survive in space without the earrings or some type of aid

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    Overall it's being good, with the end of the first arc being the highlight, I honestly loved issue #6, it was both smart and emotional. Yet I find Soule storytelling in general to be too unrefined, it seems the only way he has to convey information is to throw them in your face, I mean, how many times Wonder Woman had to say she is daughter of Zeus or something is that line? He also systematically throwing away all the amazing possibilities Azzarello created for Wonder Woman, with bringing back boring things from Wonder Woman past.

    But the worst was this last issue with the dialogue that she can't go to space. Hurting the character like that and being so coarse was the best way he could come up with explaining why she doesn't follow Superman to space. That I cannot forgive so I dropped the book.
    I have to ask, and this is genuine curiousity here, have you actually read previous WW runs? For my answer to the OP, I think it's a fairly interesting take. It has its flaws and virtues like any story.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-21-2014 at 10:08 AM.

  7. #7
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Superman/Wonder Woman is one of my top 3 favorite books each month. Soule is giving us, hands down, the best New 52 interpretation of Wonder Woman so far. He effortlessly blends her mythological and superhero worlds to great effect while showcasing Diana as confident, powerful, regal, inspiring, and compassionate at the same time without the excessive violence and deviancy found in other books that she's currently appearing in. I love Tony Daniel's work but I will admit that his art could be a bit more consistent in this book. I really hope that DC announces Soule as the writer of Diana's solo book once Azzarello's last issue is revealed.
    pretty much what you said, it's funny but as much as i like certain aspects of what azz brought to the table, i thinks soules has a much firmer grasp on ww's myth. hopefully he does take over the book.

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    it seems like everyone keeps forgetting WW has never been able to survive in space without the earrings or some type of aid
    Well, she did eventually develop the ability to just go to space on her own. Just like she eventually developed the invulnerability necessary to survive a nuclear explosion to the face.

    You'll note the recurring word in these two examples? "Eventually." Diana slowly became more powerful as she progressed through her prior continuity. Just because she couldn't go to space THIS TIME doesn't meant that she will be forever denied this ability.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

    --Lord Alfred Tennyson--

  9. #9
    Chad Jar Jar Pinsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    4,864

    Default

    Not to interested. I only read issue #1 so whatever.
    Want to read Wonder Woman stories, but don't know where to start? Check out my top 10 lists for Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Modern Age Wonder Woman tales!

    "You can't make an omelet without breaking a few necks." - Wonder Woman, probably

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Well, she did eventually develop the ability to just go to space on her own. Just like she eventually developed the invulnerability necessary to survive a nuclear explosion to the face.

    You'll note the recurring word in these two examples? "Eventually." Diana slowly became more powerful as she progressed through her prior continuity. Just because she couldn't go to space THIS TIME doesn't meant that she will be forever denied this ability.
    exactly, which is why dropping the book for that scene seems ridiculous

  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    exactly, which is why dropping the book for that scene seems ridiculous
    indeed-old-sport.jpg

    10characters.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

    --Lord Alfred Tennyson--

  12. #12
    Fantastic Member SofNascimento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    it seems like everyone keeps forgetting WW has never been able to survive in space without the earrings or some type of aid
    Yes, I'm aware that like many other aspects of the character, her ability to endure in space is ill defined. With that in mind I didn't expect her to be able to exile herself with Superman or something in those lines, not because of any logic, but indeed because of her past. Yet she should be able stay alive from some time, at least hours and also be able to travel some distance, maybe just to the Moon or something but what we get, and how we got it, is utterly ridiculous.

    I mean, just a few issues back we had Zod saying that even in that weakened state killing Clark and Diana wouldn't be easy. Yet, how hard would be for a kryptonian to throw her into space?
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

    "Come find me when you wake up."

  13. #13
    Fantastic Member SofNascimento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    exactly, which is why dropping the book for that scene seems ridiculous
    I disagree, sir. It's personal. There are a few things that I just cannot stand. For example, if Wonder Woman gets hurt by ordinary bullets I drop the book on the spot. What happened in the last issue of SM/WW was one of these things. I just can't enjoy that story anymore knowing how lackluster that Diana is.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

    "Come find me when you wake up."

  14. #14
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    I disagree, sir. It's personal. There are a few things that I just cannot stand. For example, if Wonder Woman gets hurt by ordinary bullets I drop the book on the spot. What happened in the last issue of SM/WW was one of these things. I just can't enjoy that story anymore knowing how lackluster that Diana is.
    her being in space is nothing like her being vulnerable to bullets. she's been more consistently invulnerable to bullets then able to venture to space on her own power. dropping the book over that is like dropping azz's run because diana couldn't fly in the first couple issues

  15. #15
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,462

    Default

    I've been liking it. Soule writes Diana very well, and the little glimpses we've gotten of her world is refreshing. I'm getting impatient with all the Superman related stuff though. I knew we'd be getting a lot going in, but we've had a six issue arc dealing with Zod and Foara and now we're caught up in this Doomsday business for the next few months.

    I also dislike the romance, but that's kind of a useless complaint because that's kinda the point of the book anyway. And Soule is making it more bearable than it otherwise could be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •