Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I love it.. it does have it flaws but which story doesn't. Heck i hope the book continues after the relationship (sigh why does it have to end).

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    I love it.. it does have it flaws but which story doesn't. Heck i hope the book continues after the relationship (sigh why does it have to end).
    There's no certainty it will end. Not any time soon, anyway.

Again, DC's poured an awful lot of money into marketing these two together in recent years. I still think that they were prepared to end it if it wasn't well-received, but they may be willing to protract it as long as they see money in it.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    There's no certainty it will end. Not any time soon, anyway.

Again, DC's poured an awful lot of money into marketing these two together in recent years. I still think that they were prepared to end it if it wasn't well-received, but they may be willing to protract it as long as they see money in it.
    Can't DC make just as much money off of Superman/Wonder Woman merchandise whether they're in a relationship in the comics or not? It's not as if the casual public consumer even reads the comics to know if it's canon or not, and I doubt if it appealed to them as a product them being broken up would deter them from buying a toy or nick nack of some kind. Fans of the couple, like yourself who reads comics, would they really stop buying Superman/Wonder Woman statues, etc. if they split up? Speaking just of the comics series, I think the book could still run even if Superman and Wonder Woman were just friends like Batman and Superman in the Batman/Superman title. If not, though, sales are probably only a handful of years away from being low enough to consider ending it.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Can't DC make just as much money off of Superman/Wonder Woman merchandise whether they're in a relationship in the comics or not? It's not as if the casual public consumer even reads the comics to know if it's canon or not, and I doubt if it appealed to them as a product them being broken up would deter them from buying a toy or nick nack of some kind. Fans of the couple, like yourself who reads comics, would they really stop buying Superman/Wonder Woman statues, etc. if they split up? Speaking just of the comics series, I think the book could still run even if Superman and Wonder Woman were just friends like Batman and Superman in the Batman/Superman title. If not, though, sales are probably only a handful of years away from being low enough to consider ending it.
    It's certainly possible.

I've said as much pretty much from Day One: I can accept that the SM/WW relationship may not last forever. My only real fear has been that if and when the relationship ends, that it could somehow damage the friendship between Superman and Wonder Woman. If I can't have those two together as lovers, then I damn well want them to retain their brother/sister bond that they've had for decades.

I agree that SM/WW could continue on even after the romance ends. And if it ends, I very much want to see the book continue. Likewise, the ending of their book, even due to low sales, may not be enough to end the relationship. That just tells DC that the book wasn't popular enough. If the statues, toys, T-shirts, and other merchandise continues to sell, they may still say there's money to be made in the romance.

Time will tell on that one.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Wonder Woman X Superman Diana X Kal's Avatar

It's the best book ever! <3

And also, I'm not worried about the future one bit. I'm overjoyed about all the exposure they've gotten through the media and merchandise. I'd been on eggshells wondering what was going to happen next since Justice League #12. Trinity War, Lobdell's Superman, Azzarello's Wonder Woman, the whole thing with Batman in Forever Evil... I know that they've gone through a lot both in the comics and from detractors, but the fans of the couple, including myself, know that these are two people that share an powerful bond like no other and a incredible love for each other that can never be broken.
    Wonder Woman <3

If the statues, toys, T-shirts, and other merchandise continues to sell, they may still say there's money to be made in the romance.
    I don't think this is a factor at all, as I believe those products could be sold whether Superman and Wonder Woman were an official comics couple or not.

I don't think this is a factor at all, as I believe those products could be sold whether Superman and Wonder Woman were an official comics couple or not.
    Maybe not. But there are official "Superman and Wonder Woman as a couple" merchandise, and their sales may tell DC that keeping them as a comics couple is still worth doing.

I'm not a financial expert, so I have no idea how DC perceives their sales information. You may be right, or I may be right.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snark88 View Post
    It's been 9 issues and I'm wondering what are people's opinion on it's run thus far? The series seems to keep getting positively reviewed for the most part, and has been one of the Top 40 best selling comics between DC and Marvel. In fact it's the highest selling comic that has Wonder Woman as a prominent character (not counting Justice League). It seems to be pretty successful so far. I don't think this spells good news for people who dislike the relationship though.
    HA! You'd think so wouldn't you? But it just means it wil be even more dramatic when the wheels fall off

Series so far seems mostly about how awesome Superman is and how well Wonder Woman does keeping up, despite the obvious disadvantage of not being Superman.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

yes, sure. they can sell superman-ww just like they sell batman--superman. DC still has many lois-superman merchand, that would be right thing to do. you don't sell dessert mix and ready dessert for the same people.

The book is exactly what I thought it would be. I was fearing I would bite my tongue, but no. Cheap romance without substance, another writer that don't get ww (what a surprise). Boring story.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    HA! You'd think so wouldn't you? But it just means it wil be even more dramatic when the wheels fall off

Series so far seems mostly about how awesome Superman is and how well Wonder Woman does keeping up, despite the obvious disadvantage of not being Superman.
    there's some truth on that...
    Last edited by Blacksun; 06-21-2014 at 03:35 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    yes, sure. they can sell superman-ww just like they sell batman--superman. DC still has many lois-superman merchand, that would be right thing to do. you don't sell dessert mix and ready dessert for the same people.

The book is exactly what I thought it would be. I was fearing I would bite my tongue, but no. Cheap romance without substance, another writer that don't get ww (what a surprise). Boring story.

there's some truth on that...
    oh the irony...

As I said in the Superman forum, I feel that its a very solid book, an in terms of each character, the second best Superman book and on par with Wonder Woman's solo. The only thing its lacking thus far is a storyline based on Wonder Woman's cast and setting, though I do believe that's coming soon (the ever expanding mystery of Hessia suggests a storyline set up). The art has been fantastic, and while not Soule's best DC title, the writing's been good. Both arcs thus far have been high on action/adventure, and I enjoy the dynamic he's created between the two stars.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-21-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Maybe not. But there are official "Superman and Wonder Woman as a couple" merchandise, and their sales may tell DC that keeping them as a comics couple is still worth doing.
    Like what? What's the difference between merchandise that depict them as a couple and something that's an "official SM/WW are a couple" product? I highly doubt sales of merchandise would be affected by a break up.

BANNED

Unless DC is CN, merchand doesn't affect comic book sales.

Hey everyone,

Please remember to stay true to the thread.

Let's keep posts to your thoughts on the Superman/WW series. And remember, simply making snarky comments about another poster's views is not discussion.

Thank you,

Javier

It's Superman book co-starring possibly the blandest written Wonder Woman the DCU has ever witnessed. There are peripheral characters in comedy sketch shows who only appear only to feed lines that have more personality than Diana has had in this book. Most of her dialogue comes across like flat speech-making, with a tone lifted straight from every sword and sorcery film that took itself way too seriously - but there's never any little moments of her in there.

She's like an empty shell, operating purely on auto-pilot - Make doe-eyes at Clark in 8 seconds; Deploy Speech No.342; Execute Fight Sequence Four-Alpha; Recharge.

So, no. Not a fan.