Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Im not 100% sure its all WB's fault though, as a lot of people like Superman as a figurehead or abstract ideal, but balk at the character himself when they realize he doesnt live up to his own legend, and when he's written as the legend they expect him to be, he's perfect and boring.
    This is something I've been noticing more and more frequently actually. We may have a (very) wide variety of opinions here in the Superman forums and I wouldn't actually have the gall to accuse someone of not being a "real" Superman fan, but it still seems like you can kinda tell at times whether someone is actually interested in Superman as a character himself or a figurehead/foil to other heroes in the books they actually like (Justice League or Batman).

Quote Originally Posted by MeloDet View Post
    This is something I've been noticing more and more frequently actually. We may have a (very) wide variety of opinions here in the Superman forums and I wouldn't actually have the gall to accuse someone of not being a "real" Superman fan, but it still seems like you can kinda tell at times whether someone is actually interested in Superman as a character himself or a figurehead/foil to other heroes in the books they actually like (Justice League or Batman).
    Yeah, pretty much.

And Im not accusing people of not being real fans. Not even the ones I disagree with all the time. Thats just not the case. But there does seem to be a difference between being a fan of the character and being a fan of the ideals he represents.

Everyone loves the ideals. But the character seems to get lost in that, and the reality of his characterization doesnt always live up to what people have in their heads about him. For example, Superman is historically really bad with family, he's a loner, and a liar. And like it or not, these things have been prevalent in so many versions of the character for so many decades I think they can be considered fundamental personality aspects. But people wont accept that because it goes against what he represents to them personally, even when faced with evidence. Sure, there's a lot of leeway in literary analysis, and these things have never been flat out said to be part of his character, but I figure that history speaks for itself, if you just look.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I think they'll do another Superman solo movie, but with the luck we have, Brandon Routh's Superdad will come back and replace Cavill's Superman after what happened in BvS.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 03-26-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

There's NOTHING really wrong or broken about Superman in BvS. He's actually quite lovable. Could easily make a solo film and refocus on him and make a fun, tight story.

WB doesn't have a standalone Superman movie in their schedule at the moment, they're busy with their other DC properties.

Source: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/superm...perman-a133084

I wouldn't bet on it. If BvS had better critical success and the second weekend drop off wasn't 70%, a solo Superman film might have had a chance.

It's sad, I think Cavill makes a great Superman, but the material he's had to work with has been just awful.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Because WB doesnt understand how to profit off anyone other than Batman, that's why.

Superman remains their second biggest money maker and fourth biggest merchandising superhero on earth, and he's done that without a constant stream of movies, cartoons, and games, which none of the Top 3 can say (in order, Spidey, Batman, Avengers). Clearly the "S" still means something. Problem is, WB doesnt know what it means and cant seem to hire anyone capable of capturing the character in a way the general public will respond to.

Im not 100% sure its all WB's fault though, as a lot of people like Superman as a figurehead or abstract ideal, but balk at the character himself when they realize he doesnt live up to his own legend, and when he's written as the legend they expect him to be, he's perfect and boring.
    Exactly my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    WB doesn't have a standalone Superman movie in their schedule at the moment, they're busy with their other DC properties.

Source: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/superm...perman-a133084
    At least it's on their radar. However, they're busy with the 2 justice leagues and Batgod. If this happens, I wouldn't expect it before 2019 at the earliest (and that is so sad). Unless they fast-track it for 2018, after the first JL movie. Sadly, there's not even a script yet.

Dammit, WB/DC. I wish I could have a word with those guys: Didio, Lee, Johns, Roven and Snyder. IMO Snyder has done a good job (I *LOVE* MOS AND BVS; what can I say?), but those comments about a new standalone movie leave much to be desired.

And don't get me started on the comics.

This is SUPERMAN, god dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    At least it's on their radar. However, they're busy with the 2 justice leagues and Batgod. If this happens, I wouldn't expect it before 2019 at the earliest (and that is so sad). Unless they fast-track it for 2018, after the first JL movie. Sadly, there's not even a script yet.

Dammit, WB/DC. I wish I could have a word with those guys: Didio, Lee, Johns, Roven and Snyder. IMO Snyder has done a good job (I *LOVE* MOS AND BVS; what can I say?), but those comments about a new standalone movie leave much to be desired.

And don't get me started on the comics.

This is SUPERMAN, god dammit.
    Too bad they've other priorities at the moment. I feel that a Superman sequel is penalized by the cold response that had Cavill's Superman. Everyone is talking about how badass were Batman or WW. Superman is forgettable in this film.

Too bad they've other priorities at the moment. I feel that a Superman sequel is penalized by the cold response that had Cavill's Superman. Everyone is talking about how badass were Batman or WW. Superman is forgettable in this film.
    Well, I think he was handled differently and in a good way. Of course, I'm biased since I loved MOS and BVS. To me it was a more reflexive portrayal of the character. No matter what he has done, there will always be people who hate and fear him. And that got to him.

But yeah. At least if they had a script in place. But noooo, not even that. But I take comfort in the fact that it was announced by WB (although without date), so I guess it will happen eventually.

EDIT: not to say that what WB said (Charles Roven in particular) about a new standalone Supes movie were exactly encouraging.
    Last edited by 666MasterOfPuppets; 04-06-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Well, I think he was handled differently and in a good way. Of course, I'm biased since I loved MOS and BVS. To me it was a more reflexive portrayal of the character. No matter what he has done, there will always be people who hate and fear him. And that got to him.

But yeah. At least if they had a script in place. But noooo, not even that. But I take comfort in the fact that it was announced by WB (although without date), so I guess it will happen eventually.

EDIT: not to say that what WB said (Charles Roven in particular) about a new standalone Supes movie were exactly encouraging.
    He's underdeveloped as a character, BvS' Superman is too aloof and has few dialogues compared to the other characters. For the audience is hard to sympathize with a character like this.
    IMO, BvS does a worse job than MoS in trying to "sell" the character to a new audiences.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

The animation department should work on a film about the Grant Morrison Origin story. That would be a cool film, and a lot of people like the origin, even though they may not have liked what came after it in New 52 continuity. While DCAMU is a separate universe, the Superman that you had in Justice League: War and Justice League: Throne of Atlantis is close enough personality-wise to fit that story.

I am very disappointed in what Roven said.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    There's NOTHING really wrong or broken about Superman in BvS. He's actually quite lovable. Could easily make a solo film and refocus on him and make a fun, tight story.
    100% agreed.
    Thought Henry Cavill was super in Batman vs Superman.
    IMHO I think we get a standalone Superman movie and I think a lot of Superman fans want that too.

He's underdeveloped as a character, BvS' Superman is too aloof and has few dialogues compared to the other characters. For the audience is hard to sympathize with a character like this.
    IMO, BvS does a worse job than MoS in trying to "sell" the character to a new audiences.
    Well, I just try to sympathize with him via everything he's gone through. He didn't have a lot of dialogue, yes, but what he said and the things he faced made me connect with him. His inner struggle, his sadness, and then him coming back after spoilers:
    having a conversation with his father's ghost, who showed him we're worth saving
    end of spoilers are things we've all gone through, in one level or another. He is a god, but that doesn't mean he doesn't feel the same way we do. So in that sense, I do think we had some nice character development in this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    The animation department should work on a film about the Grant Morrison Origin story. That would be a cool film, and a lot of people like the origin, even though they may not have liked what came after it in New 52 continuity. While DCAMU is a separate universe, the Superman that you had in Justice League: War and Justice League: Throne of Atlantis is close enough personality-wise to fit that story.

I am very disappointed in what Roven said.
    Same here, BUT WB just announced two new movies for 2018 and 2019 (and a mystery "event film" for October next year, which I initially thought was DC related, but now I don't think so). Could our Superman movie be among them? I sure hope so.

Also, an animated movie with Superman's new52 origin would be great. Hell, they should adapt the entirety of Morrison's run.

Well, I just try to sympathize with him via everything he's gone through. He didn't have a lot of dialogue, yes, but what he said and the things he faced made me connect with him. His inner struggle, his sadness, and then him coming back after spoilers:
    having a conversation with his father's ghost, who showed him we're worth saving
    end of spoilers are things we've all gone through, in one level or another. He is a god, but that doesn't mean he doesn't feel the same way we do. So in that sense, I do think we had some nice character development in this movie.
    I don't say that we can't sympathize with him. I sympathize with him too. I only say that the general audience has found him the least interesting character in the film for his poor characterization.