Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth

The fourth image is a picture of Leslie Mccall one of the first proponents of intersectionality. Between those and talking about "enormous ideas, large-scale heroism and large feats of compassion" and how "I said it yesterday, but to me, even to a villain, Kara still wants to save you. Some heroes send you to jail. She visits you two weeks later to see how you're doing and how she can help.", plus the fact that he's just plain one of the three or four best writers DC has right now, I figure this may be the one book of the Superman lineup that truly excels.
    Ugh. Thanks for the warning. I'd heard Supergirl went down this path. Didn't realize it was this bad.

I'm not sure I even know what intersectionality means?

What would the general idea be, with a comic using such themes in its stories? Is it about trying to promote acceptance for different types of mixed-race people and people with unclear sex and sexual preference, or some such?

Amazing Member

I'll agree that Jurgens isn't the most exciting writing choice for me, but THOSE PENCILLERS! Love it, intrigued.

Supergirl may get a pick-up as I like that cover art and I had a strong love for Tomasi/Gleason's GLC run, so Superman may also get a pickup.

Not super into GLY's 'The Super-Man', but may check it in trades.

Spectacular Member

In short, being as fair as I can be, its the idea that there are different levels of privilege. For example, being white is privileged and being male is privileged. If you're white and male, you have more privilege than a white woman or a black man and both of them have more privilege than a black woman, and so on. And these are all interrelated. Way more to it than that but I just want to get across the basic gist without getting too far into murky territory.

There's actually a more academic version that deals generically with complex identities constructed from traits or sub groups but these days, it refers to what I put in the first paragraph.