Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    Part of me is worried that "The Lies" will be a way to sweep large portions of the reboot under the rug, but A) Rucka sounds like he intends on respecting the seven years between his lastrun
    It will be interesting to see. I've got to say, that title doesn't exactly fill me with hope.

I'm gonna guess "lies" are going to be about the Amazons history, and about the relationship between Wonder Woman and Hades, revealing him to be far more malevolent than he was in Azz's run to destroy that father/daughter type relationship that they had and return it to full blown hated enemies.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm gonna guess "lies" are going to be about the Amazons history, and about the relationship between Wonder Woman and Hades, revealing him to be far more malevolent than he was in Azz's run to destroy that father/daughter type relationship that they had and return it to full blown hated enemies.
    We'll see. I just get a bad feeling that aspects of various runs will become "The Lies" in an attempt to streamline the back story.

I could see that winding up a bit of a bummer.

I hate to sound so shallow, but has Hippolyta gone back to being raven haired?
    "I'm going to score this T-shirt and I am going to wear it because I want to"

BANNED

Wonder Woman: Earth One by Morrison and Wonder Woman: Year One by Rucka in 2016?

Thank you Didio! Just don't backstab Rucka ever again!

Amazing Member

Rucka is my all-time favourite Wonder Woman writer (followed by Simone and Azzarello). I am unspeakably excited for this.

But I am a little nervous too. I understand why parts of Azz's run were controversial and I'm not against a streamlining of her history, but I do hope it's not a straight-up retcon of whole runs. I think that might make me feel the run was judging me for having really enjoyed those runs. For not having been morally outraged by the demigod origin, for instance. Some of that's on me, but I'm already seeing the gleeful "they'll undo the New 52!" gloating around the internet and it makes me feel a little sad. I can't really think what else "The Lies" would be in reference to. Hippolyta seems to be dark-haired again. Zeus seems to be back?

Even if one is not fond of the demigod thing (I didn't mind it) and even if one hates the violent Amazons (in this I agree!), I think there are other interesting things it would be sad to lose. Such as Diana as the God of War - a philosophically interesting idea that also increases her power, or Zeke instead of Zeus. "Zeus" being raised by women in a female-led Olympus is a really powerful idea and an example of Diana's philosophy and Amazonian philosophy influencing the gods. I can't help but think stripping Diana of godhood so that we can have a jerk guy back in Ares, and returning Zeke to a giant bearded white, male, womanising jerk in charge of Olympus would be kinda regressive.

Important note: I'm not making an assumption this will happen. I do think their presence on the cover of "The Lies" implies these issues will be discussed, but what parts prove to be truth and what parts lies, and how it's resolved - well. I opened this by saying Rucka was my favourite Wonder Woman writer and that's true. I intend to be broadly positive and hopeful going into this.

But I figure here is as good as any to discuss the concerns I do have.

And how the JL art with her with a thunderbolt fits into this I have no idea! It would seem to imply the Zeus link is still there? Then again Bleeding Cool's reporting indicates that Rucka was brought in pretty late in the game. Who knows...

Astonishing Member

I'm excited about Rucka but less excited about "Lies". It just smacks of a continuity obsessed piece of work, 'fixing' problems. Such obviously revisionist stuff always bothers me -- it's too often obtrusive.

I'm tired of people writing (hah, get it?) wrongs. I just want them to write. If you don't like the god/zeus origin, just ignore it? Surely that's possible.

Likewise, seeing that big burly Ares...not my favorite. Even Rucka himself didn't seem to be into that take. I much preferred the visually specific, Vertigo-esque take on the gods from Azz's run. (The original Rucka run, with suited Ares, etc was a little visually bland, but still preferable).
    Last edited by Deniz Camp; 03-27-2016 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by toastedbread View Post
    Rucka is my all-time favourite Wonder Woman writer (followed by Simone and Azzarello). I am unspeakably excited for this.

But I am a little nervous too. I understand why parts of Azz's run were controversial and I'm not against a streamlining of her history, but I do hope it's not a straight-up retcon of whole runs. I think that might make me feel the run was judging me for having really enjoyed those runs. For not having been morally outraged by the demigod origin, for instance. Some of that's on me, but I'm already seeing the gleeful "they'll undo the New 52!" gloating around the internet and it makes me feel a little sad. I can't really think what else "The Lies" would be in reference to. Hippolyta seems to be dark-haired again. Zeus seems to be back?

Even if one is not fond of the demigod thing (I didn't mind it) and even if one hates the violent Amazons (in this I agree!), I think there are other interesting things it would be sad to lose. Such as Diana as the God of War - a philosophically interesting idea that also increases her power, or Zeke instead of Zeus. "Zeus" being raised by women in a female-led Olympus is a really powerful idea and an example of Diana's philosophy and Amazonian philosophy influencing the gods. I can't help but think stripping Diana of godhood so that we can have a jerk guy back in Ares, and returning Zeke to a giant bearded white, male, womanising jerk in charge of Olympus would be kinda regressive.

Important note: I'm not making an assumption this will happen. I do think their presence on the cover of "The Lies" implies these issues will be discussed, but what parts prove to be truth and what parts lies, and how it's resolved - well. I opened this by saying Rucka was my favourite Wonder Woman writer and that's true. I intend to be broadly positive and hopeful going into this.

But I figure here is as good as any to discuss the concerns I do have.

And how the JL art with her with a thunderbolt fits into this I have no idea! It would seem to imply the Zeus link is still there? Then again Bleeding Cool's reporting indicates that Rucka was brought in pretty late in the game. Who knows...
    In theory these things might have worked for me, but I felt the execution was lacking. Zeus never suffers any consequences for his previous actions and the Zeke thing felt more like him avoiding guilt than wanting to be better. The Amazons raising Zeus doesn't feel earned when they have their own issues and it's not like being raised by women the first time helped Zeus.

As for being judged for things you liked about the previous run, well I think some WW fans who read Azz's run felt that way with some retcons.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'll admit that I'm much more excited to hear that Nicola Scott will be drawing 6 issues of the book but I am excited to see what Rucka's plans are for Steve Trevor and the Cheetah. I also love Ares' new look.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'm also loving Diana and Donna's new costumes! Glad to hear that Rucka will be reconciling Diana's history. Hope fully that means the sex-pirate Amazons and Zeus-daddy aspects were merely lies created by Circe or Hecate.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Love this news. Was a big fan of Greg Rucka's run on the Cyclops solo series at Marvel. I'm glad he's getting another stint at Wonder Woman.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Ok, this was bugging me. Similar or coincidence? Ed McGunness, JLA Classified #3, Tony Daniels upcoming Justice League.

Richard Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by toastedbread View Post
    I understand why parts of Azz's run were controversial and I'm not against a streamlining of her history, but I do hope it's not a straight-up retcon of whole runs. I think that might make me feel the run was judging me for having really enjoyed those runs. For not having been morally outraged by the demigod origin, for instance. Some of that's on me, but I'm already seeing the gleeful "they'll undo the New 52!" gloating around the internet and it makes me feel a little sad.
    A "little sad", eh? Imagine how I felt when the origin that I knew and loved since buying my first Wonder Woman comic in 1975 was given the Azzarello horror treatment.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Incredible Member

As an old marvel UK fan, is always ranckeled me that liam sharp never got a crack at the mainstream. So his appointment on my favourite title is excellent news..

I guess the sword and shield are permanent.