Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Default A remembrance for Nuperman

A bit early, but newspapers prepare obituaries in advance, and surely he deserves it.

SUPERMAN: A DEATH BY A THOUSAND CUTS

Born in 2011, Clark Kent, commonly known to the world as Superman or his birth name Kal-El, was a wild young man from the start, a juggernaut in jeans that took on all comers from corrupt communication company CEOs to higher dimensional time-warping demon concepts wrapped in the skin of elves. While many had contempt for his brash attitude, anti-authoritarian leanings and questionable fashion choices, those who loved him admired his fighting spirit, social conscience and sincerity. With mentors like Grant Morrison and Greg Pak, it seemed the young man had a bright future ahead of him.

But it was not to be.

From no more than the tender age of three, the lad fell in with a bad crowd, who soon had the boy hooked on a string of event crossovers - even tempting him into sampling "Doomsday", known for its brief sales high but lifelong creative bankruptcy and lingering flashbacks - that left him a shell of the vibrant lad once so loved. Well-meaning attempts at counselling from Geoff Johns and Scott Snyder were ineffective, and while Gene Yang's controversial deployment of Miller's "Born Again" therapy - attempting to re-expose the subject's inner character by stripping away all outward signifiers of status and safety - initially seemed effective, it tragically forced a catastrophic relapse into event addiction. It was this that finally did him in, killed not even by his own design, but to forward another bullshit launch with mediocre talent.

Still, we choose to remember him not for what was done to him, but for what he truly was: a kind, courageous, warm-hearted young man who never stopped working to make the world a better place. May his successor learn his lessons well. He is survived by his cousin Kara Zor-El, his potential son's clone Kon-El, his brother from another mother from another dimension Clark White, and his nephew Jonathan White. In lieu of flowers or cash donations to immediate family via the new Superman titles - whom many among his friends feel were neither supportive nor even willing to take basic steps to prevent his passing - a petition for an Absolute Edition release of Action Comics #1-18 would be appreciated.

Superman Model IV
    2011-2016
    You deserved better.

Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 03-26-2016 at 09:04 PM.
    Buh-bye

Lol. I'm kinda sad about it, but this made me laugh.

Haha nice.

Imagine how Cat Grant feels that the Clark that helped her turned out to be gone and replaced by happy Daily Planet Clark.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Haha nice.

Imagine how Cat Grant feels that the Clark that helped her turned out to be gone and replaced by happy Daily Planet Clark.
    I bet you she's gone too in favor of a Cat Grant similar to the CBS show, ala the cover of the new SUPERGIRL.

Astonishing Member

LOL he is not going anywhere. if anything Superdad is probably the one that will die.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    LOL he is not going anywhere. if anything Superdad is probably the one that will die.
    Superdad's the one confirmed as starring in both books.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member

Oh well. I won't miss this guy that much. His quality were mainly in his potential, not in the stories.
    Of course, that doesn't excuse DC's current mess.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

5 years ago prior to the launch of the New 52, I would have done a happy dance if I knew this is how it would turn out. 5 years ago me would have gloated. Now I am a little bummed. However, as Myskin said, more from lost potential than actually anything concrete. Ultimately I guess New 52 Superman is essentially much like Heroes Reborn versions of Captain America, Iron Man etc in the day, just another alternate version who really won't have lasting impact on the ongoing legend of the character outside of the removal of the trunks and the brief flirtation with a Wonder Woman/Superman romance.

I will however, always look on Morrison's ACTION run fondly,and Perez's early attempts to redefine the Lois and Clark relationship and modernize the Daily Planet as well as Lobdell's Krypton stuff in SUPERMAN #0, DOOMED was fun, UNCHAINED was superior to FOR TOMORROW ultimately and a liked Greg Pak's runs on ACTION COMICS and BATMAN/SUPERMAN when it wasn't forced into crossovers ,SUPERMAN #39 and #40 were good and I must say, the first arc of SUPERMAN /WONDER WOMAN was good for what it was. The rest...unfortunately forgettable and I likely won't re-read it all. That though is more the fault of DC editorial.

But....R.I.P, Nuperman. You deserved much better and I will always keep a happy thought about the brief time you were great.

P.S.- Your costume still sucked though.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    5 years ago prior to the launch of the New 52, I would have done a happy dance if I knew this is how it would turn out. 5 years ago me would have gloated. Now I am a little bummed. However, as Myskin said, more from lost potential than actually anything concrete. Ultimately I guess New 52 Superman is essentially much like Heroes Reborn versions of Captain America, Iron Man etc in the day, just another alternate version who really won't have lasting impact on the ongoing legend of the character outside of the removal of the trunks and the brief flirtation with a Wonder Woman/Superman romance.

I will however, always look on Morrison's ACTION run fondly,and Perez's early attempts to redefine the Lois and Clark relationship and modernize the Daily Planet as well as Lobdell's Krypton stuff in SUPERMAN #0, DOOMED was fun, UNCHAINED was superior to FOR TOMORROW ultimately and a liked Greg Pak's runs on ACTION COMICS and BATMAN/SUPERMAN when it wasn't forced into crossovers ,SUPERMAN #39 and #40 were good and I must say, the first arc of SUPERMAN /WONDER WOMAN was good for what it was. The rest...unfortunately forgettable and I likely won't re-read it all. That though is more the fault of DC editorial.

But....R.I.P, Nuperman. You deserved much better and I will always keep a happy thought about the brief time you were great.

P.S.- Your costume still sucked though.
    So much potential thrown out the window. But hey, it's DC.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think we're jumping the gun a wee bit early. Of course if they really did go with the "merged" theory then, yeah, he dead. I'm willing to wait and see what they did with him before I write him off. All that being said, yeah, his fashion choices sucked. I will say this though, he proved that Superman is a pretty easy character to write for and in order to screw him up you have do it deliberately. Which somehow DC did.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think we're jumping the gun a wee bit early. Of course if they really did go with the "merged" theory then, yeah, he dead. I'm willing to wait and see what they did with him before I write him off. All that being said, yeah, his fashion choices sucked. I will say this though, he proved that Superman is a pretty easy character to write for and in order to screw him up you have do it deliberately. Which somehow DC did.
    technically true,but it's clear that, at least for the immediate future Superdad (or a version of Superman that is more Superdad-esqe in status quo) is the priority and New 52 Superman, IF he still exists, is an afterthought or will be for the time being. Even if he "returns" I can guarantee he won't be quite the same.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Superdad's the one confirmed as starring in both books.
    Isn't Superdad the one in action and nuperman the one in superman ongoing?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    technically true,but it's clear that, at least for the immediate future Superdad (or a version of Superman that is more Superdad-esqe in status quo) is the priority and New 52 Superman, IF he still exists, is an afterthought or will be for the time being. Even if he "returns" I can guarantee he won't be quite the same.
    Which is weird because, from what I understand, his book isn't even selling that well. There's no financial incentive to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Isn't Superdad the one in action and nuperman the one in superman ongoing?
    This is the cover for the new Superman #1

You can see he's tearing open the black suit he's been wearing in Lois & Clark to reveal the new uniform underneath, with Lois and Jonathan there as well. It'd be profoundly misleading advertising if it wasn't the Pre-Flashpoint Superman. And Jurgens already confirmed on Twitter that Action will star the Pre-Flashpoint Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Which is weird because, from what I understand, his book isn't even selling that well. There's no financial incentive to do this.
    Many have suggested it's partially due to what goes down in BvS, which I believe. I think DC's real reasoning is "Superman's boring and sucks, but they've resisted all our attempts to make him otherwise - for some reason, fans want him to be boring and suck. So we'll bring back the old boring version of him that sucks and some old creators, that'll make 'em happy." If that sounds cynical and unlikely, understand this is basically the reasoning that gave us Superman Returns.
    Buh-bye

Incredible Member

but Nuperman was boring too.

52 had potential and for 5 years he was wasted.

Pre-52 Superman has potential as well, and we'll see if he's wasted.

Lots of crying over nothing.