Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Rebirth - What's Everyones New Homes?

The more I hear about Rebirth, the more it sounds like they've really sorted out the issue that's dogged the Bat Books for years - that of space for the huge number of characters under that umbrella.

So, by my count...

Bruce has "Batman", "Detective Comics" and "All Star Batman".

Dick has "Nightwing" and "Titans".

Barbara has "Batgirl" and "Birds Of Prey"

Jason has "Red Hood And The Outlaws".

Tim, Kate, Steph and Cass are the main "Detective Comics" cast.

Damian will be featured in "Batman" and probably "Nightwing", as well as "Teen Titans" and "Super Sons".

Duke will be appearing in "Batman", and the back ups of All Star Batman".

Dinah and Helena are going to "Birds Of Prey".

Midnighter and Tiger are going to be in "Nightwing".

The only significant characters unaccounted for are Harper and Cullen, and there's plenty of places for them.

So, what do we think? Who's be undersold, who needs something else, and what are our hopes for the future?

This far out, it seems to me like they've got it pretty spot on.

I was wondering about Catwoman, but have just seen a Snyder interview where he mentioned her, so I guess she'll be showing up in All-Star Batman at some point.

Here's a slightly Catwoman-centric version of the All Star Batman rogues gallery pic that was posted yesterday:

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I wonder if Harper Row is going to die in Batman and Robin Eternal's finale? Weird that she wouldn't be included in any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    I was wondering about Catwoman, but have just seen a Snyder interview where he mentioned her, so I guess she'll be showing up in All-Star Batman at some point.
    yep, she's just going to be a villain again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by heyevaxx View Post
    Here's a slightly Catwoman-centric version of the All Star Batman rogues gallery pic that was posted yesterday:

I could be wrong, but is anybody else getting the impression of thigh high boots and shoulder high gloves in this picture? I think we have an updated Catwoman costume.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

I thought this might be about our (readers) new homes! I'll be following Tom and Tim. Worst kept secret in comics was that they were getting the keys to the Batmobile, but boy, it didn't make me any less happy to have it made official.

Anyway that Detective line-up seems pretty unimpeachable, Tynion or not. The notion of Bruce and Kate keeping tabs on the junior detective brigade, the 90/00s Dixon/Puckett line-up, is pretty strong. I hope Bette shows up too, just because it would be quite eventful to have all three non-Barbara Batgirls interacting with one another. (Especially in a universe where Kathy Kane is fostering skull girl assassins in the old Batwoman costume) I'm also pretty down with that faceless Cassandra/Black Bat mask on the new Tony Daniel costume. And pretty pleased with that Barrows art, too - he certainly "gets" the Batwoman style from those few panels. I do wonder if maybe the Clayface bits are a holdover from Andreyko's weird Batwoman endrun - chronologically that took place after Batman Eternal (since Rory Regan had progressed to Ragman). So I think Batwoman and the Outcasts was the last chronological appearance of Clayface - other than maybe his brief hench-type appearances in the most recent Catwoman arc, or his one-shot appearance in Gotham Academy.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 03-27-2016 at 11:06 AM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    . . . Dinah and Helena are going to "Birds Of Prey".
    Helena? Which one? Do we even know who "Huntress" will be this time?

(Hey, why not throw everybody off and make her . . . Paula Brooks again!)

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I thought this might be about our (readers) new homes! I'll be following Tom and Tim. Worst kept secret in comics was that they were getting the keys to the Batmobile, but boy, it didn't make me any less happy to have it made official.
    That was my first thought when I read the thread title too. Likewise, for me following Tom and Tim to their new homes is a given; for the other Bat titles it will depend on the preview pages and feedback from other readers. But that's pretty much how I decide any title since switching to digital. I do like no longer having to second guess whether to order something three months in advance.

Detective has one of the more appealing lineups we were told of yesterday, certainly. It reads a little like a scaled down Eternal 3.0, taking just the characters who don't have books elsewhere, plus Batman. Hopefully it'll keep that core cast and then just bring in others for short arcs. I'd certainly like to see Bette if it does work that way. Given that her cousin is there, she'd be a natural fit, even as just an occasional guest.

I liked Birds of Prey best in its original Dixon-written form as a two-hander, and thought that its cast got rather overcrowded later on. So for that title I'd be happy for it to stay as just Batgirl, Black Canary and Huntress and not take in any additional waifs or strays. Again, guest appearances are a different matter entirely.
    Last edited by jules; 03-27-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Where the hell is Harper? They spend all this effort using Eternal to focus on her only to send her off into oblivion.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-27-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

My new home is Tom King and Scott Snyder....i.e. "Batman" and "All Star Batman."

It's a quarterback competition....to see who I will love more.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Where the hell is Harper? They spend all this effort using Eternal to focus on her only to send her off into oblivion.
    The Brutally Honest Harper Row List Of Possible Futures:

1) death in BRE26: I'd be really surprised at this one
    2) death in Rebirth: I just don't think she's big enough for a company wide "event" death, maybe I'm wrong
    3) just puttering along: this might be the oddest option at this time

Just puttering along between BRE26 and Rebirth and then popping up in tec or maybe ASB seems reasonable until considering:
    1) Harper has been a star of BRE, along with Dick and Cassandra
    2) JTIV has written her tons but she's not pictured or mention at his DC Rebirth title announcement

How Harper would go from weekly star to lower key than Stephanie is what would seem so weird. I like Steph loads more than Harper but I've grown to like Harp and we've gotten a lot of her in BRE. So why no talk of her future? Hmm.
    Last edited by heyevaxx; 03-27-2016 at 03:25 PM.

2) death in Rebirth: I just don't think she's big enough for a company wide "event" death, maybe I'm wrong

Just puttering along between BRE26 and Rebirth and then popping up in tec or maybe ASB seems reasonable until considering:
    2) JTIV has written her tons but she's not pictured or mention at his DC Rebirth title announcement

How Harper would go from weekly star to lower key than Stephanie is what would seem so weird. I like Steph loads more than Harper but I've grown to like Harp and we've gotten a lot of her in BRE. So why no talk of her future? Hmm.
    Tynion has said in the post-Rebirth event aftermath that the characters on the cover are not the only characters he's going to play with in this run, that this was only the beginning and the cast would be expanding and he wanted to use as much of the Bat characters as he could. Harper will show up in 'Tec, I'd bet money on it.

Maybe after discovering how she's been manipulated by Mother and not-manipulated by Batman, she might decide to just walk away from superheroing for a while, thus endorsing Bruce's original decision to stay out of her life as much as possible.

She'd get dragged back in again, of course... but might need to go away and have some thinking time first.

Batman
    All-Star Batman
    Nightwing
    Batgirl

This is what I'll most likely start with. So happy Seeley stayed on Dick

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    Maybe after discovering how she's been manipulated by Mother and not-manipulated by Batman, she might decide to just walk away from superheroing for a while, thus endorsing Bruce's original decision to stay out of her life as much as possible. She'd get dragged back in again, of course... but might need to go away and have some thinking time first.
    I really like this! No dying and a very reasonable explanation for a lying low period. Good idea!