Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Default Batman v Superman Shatters Records

"Box Office: ‘Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice’ Shatters Records With $170.1 Million Debut

That ranks as the top opening weekend for a DC Comics film, the best March launch ever, and the sixth biggest domestic opening weekend of all-time."

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-off...ut-1201739978/

The average CineScore is a B which indicates decent re-watches and word of mouth.

Also, it was the 3rd largest opening ever in China and has made over $40 million there and $137 million total internationally
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 03-27-2016 at 09:33 AM.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Now the question is whether it can maintain this momentum into the coming weeks.

...But the day is not even over??

Astonishing Member

There is definitely going to be huge drop offs like every top 10 box office heavy hitters. So far WOM has been okay, batman fanboys will ensure decent rewatches, supergirl, flash and injustice fans are also behind the film 100%, furthermore, this got people excited over justice league. The moment Batman said he needs to assemble a team, people around me started whispering justice league. Besides, goodwill from Gadot's performance will ensure that WW movie would be even more anticipated than before and Suicide Squad would also tie in nicely to DCEU.

Astonishing Member

Not to gripe, but would that total even be larger without March Madness basketball? I know that is huge in the states but I wonder if BVS could have added at least another 10M domestically if they didn't have to compete with MM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    ...But the day is not even over??
    It's an estimate based on advanced sales and will likely be revised up

BANNED

Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Not to gripe, but would that total even be larger without March Madness basketball? I know that is huge in the states but I wonder if BVS could have added at least another 10M domestically if they didn't have to compete with MM.
    Yes, I think that will help this week. Given that the audience is skewing heavily male (66%) and young (18-34). I would imagine there is a decent chunk that didn't want to sit in a theater for 3 hours during March Madness

I do think that one of the possible reasons Yang is being allowed to create a "Chinese Superman" is that this movie is killing it in China (yes, I know the decision was made before but they likely had an inkling). If it keeps rolling there is a real chance it will end up the top English language film in Chinese history. Just to give an idea how much that market has grown...it is currently running at over 25% of US Domestic receipts just in China

BANNED

A Cinema score of B puts on the same level as some of the worst ranked CBMs' in history. You're looking at Fantastic Four,GL,Catwoman,Elektra level love from fans which actually corresponds quite well with what critics have been saying. Its just fans have too much emotional attachment and a myriad of other reasons for not outright giving a movie something like an F.
    It'll make somewhere between Inception and Spider-Man 3 levels of money when it's all said and done except those 2 came out 6 and 9 years ago so when you adjust for 3-D,production budget and inflation this movie could well end up not making anywhere near close to the same level of profit or even a profit at all. It's amazing to think that Deadpool is one of the most profitable films of CBMs'.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    A Cinema score of B puts on the same level as some of the worst ranked CBMs' in history. You're looking at Fantastic Four,GL,Catwoman,Elektra level love from fans which actually corresponds quite well with what critics have been saying. Its just fans have too much emotional attachment and a myriad of other reasons for not outright giving a movie something like an F.
    It'll make somewhere between Inception and Spider-Man 3 levels of money when it's all said and done except those 2 came out 6 and 9 years ago so when you adjust for 3-D,production budget and inflation this movie could well end up not making anywhere near close to the same level of profit or even a profit at all. It's amazing to think that Deadpool is one of the most profitable films of CBMs'.
    Several analysts saying it has a real shot at $1 billion given the massive overseas haul. Good chance it is at $350 million total after today. I think WB will be just fine at $900 million + which seems almost a sure bet now
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 03-27-2016 at 09:12 AM.

BANNED

Guess the only people who will complaing about this are either just haters or critics who hoped it would bomb so they could get something else, the spoiled twats.

Astonishing Member

In other news
    BvS also made history globally, scoring the biggest superhero opening of all time with $424.1 million, including $254 million internationally. The movie benefited from opening day and date in China, where it amassed a $57.3 million.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...source=twitter

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    I guess I was shooting low as I thought the Saturday Chinese numbere were already added in. Well, $1 billion looks like a layup with the $424 million number (and the first estimates are always low)

Sad Batfleck is going to be Beamin' Batfleck.