Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

I personally would love if DC moved on from the attitude of "MORRISON CONTROLS THE MULTIVERSE!" 'Earth-One' was setup to be reinventions with no "baggage", so ANY continuity is "baggage".

That all said, this art and story don't really move me in any way. Pass.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    You're ignoring the Multiversity Guidebook's staement that all the Earth One books, including TT, are on the same world. The Earth is "cooling" and there are hiccups as a result.
    Because Morrison's opinion has nothing to do with actual Earth One books by other writers.

Earth One is not a planet, its a line of books.

Why is this so difficult to grasp?

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Because Morrison's opinion has nothing to do with actual Earth One books by other writers.

Earth One is not a planet, its a line of books.

Why is this so difficult to grasp?
    You know, I can't help it if DC publishes books in a single line and then has interview information which conflicts with what appears in a specific book.

That said, I recollect that a "photograph" from Batman: Earth One appears in a newspaper in a Superman book, or maybe I have that backwards. Am I remembering wrong?

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I'd say that until we know more about this book, specifically who the Wonder Girl is, we should say they're all on one Earth. Because that's basically what we're being told up to that point.

And anyway, that design says Cassie more than Donna to me anyway. I will be very resistant to call this Wonder Girl Donna because of that.

BANNED

You know, I can't help it if DC publishes books in a single line and then has interview information which conflicts with what appears in a specific book.

That said, I recollect that a "photograph" from Batman: Earth One appears in a newspaper in a Superman book, or maybe I have that backwards. Am I remembering wrong?
    It's like I said on the previous page of this thread: Earth One is like Elseworlds, it is not an actual part of the DC Multiverse, it's a line of books DC publishes with their characters, but given far more creative freedom than is otherwise granted for normal books. And even though they share the same banner, it does not mean they take place in the same universe... alternatively, think of them as movies put out by the same studio before they went shared universe crazy; Burton's Batman does not live on the same world as Reeves' Superman.

Dunno, I haven't read either, more to the point, those two are by different writers. Jeff Lemire is writing this one and it's predecessor and he has said there are no adult superheroes on his Earth, nothing save Jeff Lemire or a succeeding writer on this book has the power to say otherwise. Like, let me give you an example from Multiversity, on one of the first pages of the first issue, the world where Injustice appears to take place, is destroyed. Now, even though Morrison did that, that is not going to stop Neverrealm Studioes from making a sequel to their game, and neither is it going to stop DC from making more Injustice comicbooks set after the game's completion. The short of the matter is that regardless what Morrison does in his work, no one is mandated to actually follow it... especially now since Multiversity may as well have taken place in an entirely different Multiverse than the one everyone else lives in, same as the Earth One series.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 04-01-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Dunno, I haven't read either, more to the point, those two are by different writers. Jeff Lemire is writing this one and it's predecessor and he has said there are no adult superheroes on his Earth, nothing save Jeff Lemire or a succeeding writer on this book has the power to say otherwise. Like, let me give you an example from Multiversity, on one of the first pages of the first issue, the world where Injustice appears to take place, is destroyed. Now, even though Morrison did that, that is not going to stop Neverrealm Studioes from making a sequel to their game, and neither is it going to stop DC from making more Injustice comicbooks set after the game's completion. The short of the matter is that regardless what Morrison does in his work, no one is mandated to actually follow it... especially now since Multiversity may as well have taken place in an entirely different Multiverse than the one everyone else lives in, same as the Earth One series.
    You mean Convergence. Your sentiment is otherwise understood.

It would help if DC would tell us what the larger plans are for <I>Earth One</I>. I've said elsewhere that the line seems directionless at the moment.
    Last edited by resipsaloquitur; 04-01-2016 at 12:34 PM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

It would help if DC would tell us what the larger plans are for <I>Earth One</I>. I've said elsewhere that the line seems directionless at the moment.
    Frankly, I don't think there are larger plans for Earth One. They're self-contained stories that aren't hampered by continuity, nothing more, nothing less.

BANNED

No, I mean Multiversity, since I didn't bother with Convergence outside of the Titans tie in.

Thats kinda the point with Earth One, it's DC's writers version of Minecraft. They go in and make it what they want it to be without having editors or other writers poking them in certain directions or goals they are meant to reach.

That said I wont rule out that one day DC changes its mind about this and we will eventually see all of these things come together or get exported into the main universe like Marvel did with the Ultimate universe.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 04-01-2016 at 03:20 PM.

No, I mean Multiversity, since I didn't bother with Convergence outside of the Titans tie in.
    No, you mean Convergence. You referenced the scene where the Injustice world was destroyed. That happened in Convergence #1. Read this link.

Of course, I suppose DC should correct its Earth-1 entry on its official website....

Y
    I think you're right. In Supes vol 1 (Might have been 2) Batman is briefly mentioned in a newspaper clipping.

BANNED

No, you mean Convergence. You referenced the scene where the Injustice world was destroyed. That happened in Convergence #1. Read this link.

Of course, I suppose DC should correct its Earth-1 entry on its official website....
    I know it can't be Covergence, because I never read it, there is just not any more to say about that.

I know it can't be Covergence, because I never read it, there is just not any more to say about that.
    Well, it wasn't Multiversity, because the first issue of that was Nix Uotan traveling to Earth-7 in time to see it destroyed, followed by President Superman of Earth-23 cleaning up after a robot attack. Maybe you read the Convergence preview pages. If you can show me were in Multiversity the Injustice Earth gets destroyed, I'll send you a dollar.

Amazing Member

OK, I promised to talk about this Friday, so here it is. Spoilers below if you don't wanna know.

spoilers:
    Really, last chance.

OK, so I read an advance copy of Wonder Woman: Earth One. Donna Troy appears in it. It's unmistakably Donna: they call her "Troia" and she's in a variant of her classic Perez-era costume.
    end of spoilers
    Y'know, I get that reviewers are bound by NDAs or whatever (we have a couple reviewers who shop at the comic store I work at) but really? Your super secret spoiler is literally on the cover of the comic, the image used in all the ads running in DC's floppies right now.

Either way, I think it works like this:

For the purposes of Multiversity and DC continuity in general, Earth One is the literal Earth One of the Multiverse. Everything in the various OGN series fits together...somehow.

For the purposes of any given Earth One series, they are their own thing and unconnected to one another.

Point one only matters for the specific story Morrison told in The Multiversity and would only matter again if editorial allowed someone to visit "Earth One" as a cohesive place (SPOILER: Highly unlikely) in a main line book. Point two is the selling point to those who don't know jack about the multiverse or how DC's byzantine continuity (not a problem exclusive to DC) fits together.

EDIT:

spoilers:
    though if they never call her "Donna" or "Donna Troy", just "Troia", that's not exactly an insurmountable continuity hurdle. One can be the normal human girl Donna Troy who is turned into a superhuman "Wonder Girl" by Niles Caulder, the other is Troia of Themyscira. Don't tell me either way, please.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Kit Walker; 04-01-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Walker View Post
    Y'know, I get that reviewers are bound by NDAs or whatever (we have a couple reviewers who shop at the comic store I work at) but really? Your super secret spoiler is literally on the cover of the comic, the image used in all the ads running in DC's floppies right now.
    You know, somebody, SOMEWHERE would complain if I'd come out and said it. I figured it best to play it safe. As for waiting until Friday--yes, today was the embargo date for reviews. I really don't need to piss off DC and have them block me from reading other stuff in the future. Hell, I could end up getting a copy of TT:EO vol. 2 at some point.

I didn't take the Multiversity blip to mean the world is cohesive. Rather, I took it to mean that all of the Earth-One stories take place in mutually exclusive timelines as the world 'cools' and eventually coalesces into a shared universe.