Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Amazing Member

Default Where does the crossed bracelets pose come from?

I'm trying to find some comic book examples and the oldest I can get is a José Luiz Garcia Lopez piece from around 1983 (or later).

I checked all the comic covers from before the Crisis and none of them have this pose. I also don't remember of ever having seeing one instance in the books.

It never crossed my mind before... but has it originated from the TV show?

In the show, it's not a proper greeting or something, just a preparation to deflect the bullets, but she does it 5 or 6 times during the show, and other Amazons do it too. It's also featured in some promotional material.

So, does it actually comes from the show and was "officialized" in the comics when Pérez turned it into an Amazon greeting, perhaps inspired by the series or the popularity of the pose that came from it?

Can someone confirm or deny this?

Incredible Member

The show is where I first remember seeing the pose. I think before this she usually poses with her arms crossed above her head.

The first place I saw it was the TV show as well. However, I distinctly remember my grandmother sitting with me and looking through an issue with Gene Colan art with her crossing her bracelets like that up close and the gunmen's images reflected in them. Volume 1 #297

WW 297 is from the early 80s so the TV show seems more like the point of origin.

Also are we sure that art is from 83? It seems like it's from the newer lisencing art JLGL did fairly "recently". The 83/style guide had a different inker (or it's just the progression of JLGL's art.... The overall art is a little different between the two

Quote Originally Posted by The Undertaker View Post
    I'm trying to find some comic book examples and the oldest I can get is a José Luiz Garcia Lopez piece from around 1983 (or later).
    I checked all the comic covers from before the Crisis and none of them have this pose. I also don't remember of ever having seeing one instance in the books.
    So these don't count?

I mean there are random instances, going back to drawings by Harry G. Peter where she's either prepping or in th act of deflecting bullets, and her arms are crossed....

1940s-50s
    https://i.imgur.com/eJMSYoV.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/PQ94QSM.jpg

To S v WW (José Luis García-López (1977)
    https://i.imgur.com/m085VF1.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/Jxw15I8.jpg

To Super Friends - https://i.imgflip.com/3983v6.gif
    Above from Challenge era, 1978

That's often how she preps to deflect bullets.

In the show, it's not a proper greeting or something, just a preparation to deflect the bullets, but she does it 5 or 6 times during the show, and other Amazons do it too. It's also featured in some promotional material.
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/91/5e...b44bca1439.jpg

As far as a pose, It absolutely featured strongly in the Lynda Carter 1975 –1979 promo imagery.
    And used throughout the show.

So, does it actually comes from the show and was "officialized" in the comics when Pérez turned it into an Amazon greeting, perhaps inspired by the series or the popularity of the pose that came from it?

Like others here, as a "pose", straight on like that, my first visual of it, was also Lynda Carter, which made it absolutely iconic.

The 1979 Mego Wonder Woman figure commercial reflects how iconic it had become. -
    https://i.imgflip.com/7qzp4t.gif
    Associated with branding and selling the character
    Jump to 0:20

As did the 80's Super Powers figure, whose packaging illustration featured it.
    And the actual "Super Power" of her figure was the gimmick to in fact make her cross her bracelets.
    The depicted "Power Action Deflector Bracelets" described and illustrated on the package was a specific gimmick (movement) unique to her figure alone

Others figures would do a punching, twisting, kicking or running motion.
    Only her figure had the specific joint cut, so triggering it would make her arms cross specifically to recreate the gesture.

So yes by the 80's this was absolutely her signature move, and go to way to depict her.

If it's Lynda Carter who popularized, it, all the more Wonderful!
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-29-2023 at 08:17 AM.

In the post-Crisis WW comic, ..George Perez and Greg Potter made crossing the chest with bracelets, an Amazon greeting that Diana introduced to the world, through her youth movement, the Amazon Girls or Rage Girls [?]. The bourgeois, elitist girls in the group, who all wore over-priced, fake manacles, delighted in turning away poor girls, who couldn't afford them. Nessie, who was an Amazon Girl, at the time, tired of this snobbery and quit the group, after telling these little heifers to go chase themselves.

Anyway, it started as an over-the-head thing on Lynda's show, in the 70s, and was picked up by Potter and Perez in the post-Crisis WW comic.

I mentioned this to some Black Panther fans, and they didn't want to hear it. It's a thing, now. One told me it belonged to Black Panther, now, and I said, "Nope...it belongs to Wonder Woman fans, and we're keeping it." A fellow fan told me he and some other fans or cosplayers were harassed by Panther fans, who saw them doing the Perez/Potter greeting, at a con. I don't mind sharing the greeting, since it isn't patented for WW, ..but, we sure as Styx aren't giving it up for fans of a MARVEL movie that came out in what...2017?

On a sidenote, ..Captain Marvel had the Macedonian star, first. I think we have to own that.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-29-2019 at 04:24 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

The show added a lot to the mythology and the stance is among those. Personally I feel like it is a smart idea to further draw from the show by examining Lynda Carter's many interviews when it comes to WWs personality and the way she relates to other women. I wouldn't mind an Elseworlds or verse built on some of the other things she had to say as well. That would have been much more preferable to Morrison's E1 shenanigans