Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    You mean, instead of actual character development based on the adventures and experiences we see the character have and react to?

Why do we want to skip the storytelling part of stories?
    I understand what you mean dude. Noone wants to give this guy a cheat code. I think someone in this Universe deserves to understand what is happening and most importantly the forces at work behind the scenes. Make Superman that guy! Show him what Brainiac did. Show him what Pandora did!

Not only will he get to look back at all he has done with and objective view but he will also have the ability to have the knowledge of there being other worlds out there and that he is a symbol to all of them. I don't get why you wouldn't think this is not only not a good thing but also we couldn't build from it. In both Future's End and the Convergence Prequel we were finally approaching a Superman that knows what he means in the Universe only for it to get ripped away through retcon. So there was said character development taken away and it's a crying shame.

As I said before, with this knowledge not only do we get this new Superman with new experiences but we also get one who get's to use this new knowledge to better himself in the very new situations that could come about.

That's all I am saying dude. I love it when there is someone out there who understands the stakes of the Universe and Superman Pre-52 DID and this one needs to as well.

DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by The Shredder View Post
    I think it's indicative that Pre-Flashpoint/Rebirth Superman is the version going forward, where New52 Superman is being put out to pasture. Not only because REBIRTH is a big deal for DC Comics, and to which Pre-Flashpoint/Rebirth Superman is prominently featured, but also because of the Super Sons title featuring Damian Wayne, and Pre-Flashpoint/Rebirth Superman's son, Jonathan. Who is, much like Damian, tied closely to his father, and it's likely DC is hoping becomes a fan-favorite character like Damian. First you had BatDad, and now we have SuperDad as well.

Unfortunately, the adamant New52 supporters are probably not going to pick up that title either. Oh well!
    See, I am not 100% sure that the Nu-52 Superman is going to be completely thrown away. I think his age and stuff will remain but he will somehow get a piece of what I have been speaking about when it comes to perspective. I just hope they do it in a tasteful and meaningful way.

I hope not. They are two different types of Superman that I would love to see interact with each other.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

I don't think so. At least not right now. The strong insinuation is that new 52 Superman loses his powers AGAIN, and this time its dispersed to others like Kenji and Superwoman. This might kill him, or it might not. If it does not, the LA Times article might be right in saying that Kal-El will be off traveling the world.

I'm hoping it doesn't happen at all. I am still clinging to whatever small hope I might have that this is just temporary and the proper Superman of this Earth reclaims the mantle. If Superdad must still stick around after that, fine. Its better than what we're getting with Rebirth. But i'd STILL prefer that in the end he still just goes away and the family goes to their own Earth.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Back for noon feeding The Shredder's Avatar

I could see a merger benefiting Nu52 Superman immensely. I don't see how it would really benefit Rebirth Superman at all. Unless it's just to coerce the Nu52 Superman lot to jump on board?

A merger would destroy everything about the character from a standpoint of individuality. Its as cheap a move as outright replacing him.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Back for noon feeding The Shredder's Avatar

That's the problem with merging two different character's together. Sure, you can do it. It's comics, but would it really be a worthwhile effort? Especially so if it was 2 characters with decades of history, but whatever.

The J-man

Fu-sion. Ha!!!

No merging please. But so far new 52 Superman is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

Kaka-L??? Lol

I took a break from comics for a few years and I'm reading Superman: Lois and Clark #1. So the pre-52 universe was destroyed (that means pre-flashpoint Batman, et al, completely gone/dead, that is insane) or something and now that Superman and Lois live in the New 52 and the New 52 Superman might get put on the chopping block? Crazy stuff

It's so funny to me that Pre-flashpoint Superman (and his immediate family) is the only hero from that earth who survived the Flashpoint reboot. I remember DC saying things like the Batman titles and Green Lantern titles were fun, but other titles were no longer working. Yet here we are, Pre-flashpoint Batman, Green Lantern, and everyone else gone, but they saw fit to bring back a character who "was no longer working".

If they ever hurt Pre-Flashpoint's Lois and Clark's marriage I will definitely do something. Like stop buying their comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    No merging please. But so far new 52 Superman is missing.
    Yeah, why merge the characters? New 52 Lois would be doomed to never have a Superman of her own
    Last edited by Super-Cyke; 03-28-2016 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post
    I understand what you mean dude. Noone wants to give this guy a cheat code. I think someone in this Universe deserves to understand what is happening and most importantly the forces at work behind the scenes. Make Superman that guy! Show him what Brainiac did. Show him what Pandora did!

Not only will he get to look back at all he has done with and objective view but he will also have the ability to have the knowledge of there being other worlds out there and that he is a symbol to all of them. I don't get why you wouldn't think this is not only not a good thing but also we couldn't build from it. In both Future's End and the Convergence Prequel we were finally approaching a Superman that knows what he means in the Universe only for it to get ripped away through retcon. So there was said character development taken away and it's a crying shame.

As I said before, with this knowledge not only do we get this new Superman with new experiences but we also get one who get's to use this new knowledge to better himself in the very new situations that could come about.

That's all I am saying dude. I love it when there is someone out there who understands the stakes of the Universe and Superman Pre-52 DID and this one needs to as well.
    Superman pre-52 learned all that over time. The Superman of the primary DC universe - born and raised there, fought villains there, met Lana and Lois and Diana (and Bruce and Vic and J'onn) there - should do the same.

I just like most of my characters - including Superman; maybe especially Superman - to be characters, y'know? Not cosmic amalgams smooshed together by writers to serve some out-of-narrative purpose, like "understanding how important he (is it is He?) is to the meta-multiverse."

Superman has massive powers and incredible experiences. He can be hard to relate to as a character. In my mind, the way you do that is to give him some very basic, recognizable "human" traits: he was born, he was raised by two decent parents, he got a job, he made friends, he learned things over time based on his experiences, his successes and his failures. Saying "but then he had memories and thoughts injected into him from an other-dimensional version so he would understand all the things we think A Superman should know, but didn't want to take the time to show you how he learned them" kind of messes that up. It's a cheat code.

How about showing us a Superman who is important to the universe - because of what he does and what he's been through - instead of imposing it through magical handwaving?

But that's just me.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/