Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Daredevil vs Batman: Who Do You Like Better?

Who Do You Like Better? Neither has superpowers, necessarily (DD does have super senses...but he's like, blind and stuff; Batman has none, but he has his technology).

Daredevil is my choice every time, to me Batman's goofy "grimness" gets old real quick, I'm sick to death of his parental issues. Daredevil is a more sympathetic character to me, plus he's less rich than Batman which I can really identify with (laughing). Batman to me mostly just has a great supporting cast, his "Batfamily" and supervillains are way more interesting that he, and far less tiresome.

It could be argued also that Daredevil's supporting cast is just as interesting, at least when you count in his on again off again relationships with Luke Cage, Spider-Man, Elektra, etc.

I have this also in the Marvel thread, to make it more interesting.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Batman and it's not even close. From murdered parents to dark crimefighting avenger. Batman is just far cooler in so many ways. The successor of sorts to The Shadow and Zorro.

I'm a DC guy, and while I love DD, and proudly have my Miller Omnibuses for DD, I love Batman far more.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I like DD, but Batman by far

BANNED

One of the big problems I have with Batman (and this upcoming assertion is well reinforced in the most recent, bad, Batman movie) is that he's a whine-ass. His mommy and daddy issues have gotten tiresome decades ago. It's about time a Waid/DD approach was taken with Batman, it's been fifty too long years since the fun, intentionally campy Batman flick. The Dark Knight schtick is so spent.

Look at Daredevil, he's freaking blind fer chrissakes! How often do you hear him complaining, or acting due to anger over his disability? It doesn't happen much does it? I'm sorry, Batman just doesn't make it for me, and that's forgetting the fact that he's the most undeservedly popular "superhero" ever. Just my opinion, I'm interested and respectful of yours (meaning all dissenting).

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

I like both, and it's funny because Batman is only as cool as he is now because he is a copy of DD, via Miller.

Also, as great as the Joker is, I prefer the Kingpin.

Quote Originally Posted by Götterdämmerung View Post
    One of the big problems I have with Batman (and this upcoming assertion is well reinforced in the most recent, bad, Batman movie) is that he's a whine-ass. His mommy and daddy issues have gotten tiresome decades ago. It's about time a Waid/DD approach was taken with Batman, it's been fifty too long years since the fun, intentionally campy Batman flick. The Dark Knight schtick is so spent.

Look at Daredevil, he's freaking blind fer chrissakes! How often do you hear him complaining, or acting due to anger over his disability? It doesn't happen much does it? I'm sorry, Batman just doesn't make it for me, and that's forgetting the fact that he's the most undeservedly popular "superhero" ever. Just my opinion, I'm interested and respectful of yours (meaning all dissenting).
    The difference between them is that Bruce's trauma directly motivated him. That's not the case for Matt. Also, Matt's parents were divorced, they lived a tough life already, and he had his father, and stick, to help him thru his blindness, while Bruce had the perfect life, with the perfect parents, so when reality slapped him in the mouth it was a bigger thing for him.

There's also the implications that Bruce's trauma made him crazy, or caused him to develop a harsher personality to deal with the tragedy. So yeah, the dead parents thing is still relevant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    I like both, and it's funny because Batman is only as cool as he is now because he is a copy of DD, via Miller.

I agree, and Vincent D'onofrio's performance just made that even more viable. However, the Joker certainly is a terrific supervillain, one of the best.

Dark Knight certainly could be seen as DC trying to cop the brilliance of Miller's Daredevil run, a run that again, many people see as a far more original and just plain better (and CRIMINALLY undersold) run.

I simply fail to understand the popularity of Batman, and it makes me angry that it's the expense of characters I both love and find far more interesting like Daredevil, Green Lantern Corps...even (arguably) Superman.

BANNED

The difference between them is that Bruce's trauma directly motivated him. That's not the case for Matt. Also, Matt's parents were divorced, they lived a tough life already, and he had his father, and stick, to help him thru his blindness, while Bruce had the perfect life, with the perfect parents, so when reality slapped him in the mouth it was a bigger thing for him.

There's also the implications that Bruce's trauma made him crazy, or caused him to develop a harsher personality to deal with the tragedy. So yeah, the dead parents thing is still relevant.
    The last sentence in particular is pretty damn thought provoking, and I thank you for bringing that idea to my attention. That does make things more interesting, though I'm not sure that's been particularly emphasized.

Still the points you made about Daredevil are part of the reason I find him more interesting.

The last sentence in particular is pretty damn thought provoking, and I thank you for bringing that idea to my attention. That does make things more interesting, though I'm not sure that's been particularly emphasized.

Still the points you made about Daredevil are part of the reason I find him more interesting.
    There's been many thesis/essays/discussions about it. It's also implied in several Joker, and Two-Face stories, I believe, as they were good people that changed after great trauma.

Daredevil has had better comics over the last decade or so.

Batman has way better villains, better supporting cast, better spin-off comics.

It could be argued also that Daredevil's supporting cast is just as interesting, at least when you count in his on again off again relationships with Luke Cage, Spider-Man, Elektra, etc.
    Spider-Man and Luke Cage isn't Daredevil's supporting cast....come on

That's like saying Superman and Cyborg is Batman's supporting cast.
    Last edited by LifeIsILL; 03-28-2016 at 06:55 AM.

Batman. He has better villains, better supporting cast, the BatCave, the Batmobile, and all of his other tech.

I love Daredevil but I love Batman more. I'm not really a fan of Marvel and I only like a few of their characters.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Like DD a lot, but Batman is by far my favorite of the 2.

Didn't Miller mostlly expand what was already part of Batman.

What did Batman copy from DD?
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-31-2018 at 08:43 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Daredevil has had better comics over the last decade or so.

Batman has way better villains, better supporting cast, better spin-off comics.

Spider-Man and Luke Cage isn't Daredevil's supporting cast....come on

That's like saying Superman and Cyborg is Batman's supporting cast.
    You're right, I made a boo-boo on that one. AMAZING avatar by the way (thumbs way up).