forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Default weekly collection reviews part 5

Previous reviews:
    part 1
    part 2
    part 3
    part 4

I had some delays but part 5 is here! This time I'll be reviewing... The Sixth gun Deluxe hardcover!

This gigantic book collects the first 11 issues of the hitserie by Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt from Oni Press. With the whopping dimensions of 13.2 inches x 8.8 inches x 1.3 inches this book, even bigger than Dc's Absolute line, should shine in all collections.

Now, apart from the great quality of the hardcover itself, this story also packs some whallop. To quote my Amazon review:

"For me it wasn't just a cool story, it sucked me in, I even screamed at the pages a few times like you do with your favorite movies/tv shows. The feel is very similiar to Lord of the rings, so i would recommend it to all fans of LotR even though it's a western. Not to say western and fantasy fans won't enjoy it, everyone will. And the art is just crazy good, especially the fight scenes with the big monsters were awesome (again I felt a lot of LotR feels, like the battle in issue 11 felt like the Shelob (big spider) battle in LotR and the canyon battle in #4 (3?) Felt a lot like the fire demon in LotR). That said it's not a ripp of at all, it's simply awesome in it's own way. Everyone should pick this up, even non comic book readers".

This story shows why westerns can still be good, mixed with some awesome magic elements it's a genre no comic reader can say no to. This book is like that perfect blockbuster, fast-paced action in a interesting plot that sucks you in and only lets go after it ended.

One of thw best current series in one of the best hardcovers, what can I say more. I recommend this to western comic fans, fantasy fans, people who love Hurtt's art (ultra oversized Hurtt art is just phenomenal) and people who want a nice change of pace from superhero comics.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

What I've read from Bunn has not amazed me, but I'm the first to admit that it was only his Marvel stuff. Guess it won't hurt to give this comics a try if you like it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    What I've read from Bunn has not amazed me, but I'm the first to admit that it was only his Marvel stuff. Guess it won't hurt to give this comics a try if you like it so much.
    This and The Damned was the first books I've read from Bunn and I loved both but his Marvel stuff hasn't amazed me either. I absolutely recommend Sixth gun (and the Damned too and if you like Hurtt's artwork, try the shortlived, but very good Hard time too).

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Bunn's work on Marvel, except Magneto which is pretty awesome, has been dissapointing. It's his indie work that made him one of my faves. And Sixth gun is his best work, as it is Hurtt's best work. It's worth a shot at least
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47