Default Dragon Hoops by Gene Luen Yang and Superman

I recently read the book Dragon Hoops by Gene Luen Yang, a semi-biographical comic depiction of Yang's time with a high school basketball team while he was teaching at their school, and while it's a phenomenal read on its own, it actually shows Yang getting the offer to join the Superman books and his deciding to leave his 17-year teacher career to work in comics full time.

There's a panel where he depicts Superman fighting Luthor and compares two players on the basketball team to Superman and Batman as the World's Finest Team.

It actually shows his reaction to being told about "Truth," to where he's told about the secret identity getting outed and he's excited to explore what Luthor and Brainiac do about it...only for DC to tell them how they're planning to tell stories about "what if Superman is betrayed by Jimmy Olsen? Or even better - Lois Lane?" and he's immediately deflated at the prospect of writing a Superman that's not Superman.

He mentions Greg Pak as helping talk him into writing the book. In Pak's words "there's a core to the character that won't ever change. No matter what happens, Superman stays Superman."

Yang also says he was much happier with his work on New Super-Man compared to his prior run.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I recently read the book Dragon Hoops by Gene Luen Yang, a semi-biographical comic depiction of Yang's time with a high school basketball team while he was teaching at their school, and while it's a phenomenal read on its own, it actually shows Yang getting the offer to join the Superman books and his deciding to leave his 17-year teacher career to work in comics full time.

There's a panel where he depicts Superman fighting Luthor and compares two players on the basketball team to Superman and Batman as the World's Finest Team.

It actually shows his reaction to being told about "Truth," to where he's told about the secret identity getting outed and he's excited to explore what Luthor and Brainiac do about it...only for DC to tell them how they're planning to tell stories about "what if Superman is betrayed by Jimmy Olsen? Or even better - Lois Lane?" and he's immediately deflated at the prospect of writing a Superman that's not Superman.
    Yeah that sure sounds like DC all right. Idiots. I’m guessing that was Eddie Berganza who told him that, makes me furious yet again he was made head of all Superbooks as a “punishment”. Damnit I would’ve loved to see Yang explore Luthor and Brainiac’s reaction, I enjoyed the little tidbit Bendis did but I think Yang would’ve handled it even better. Really love that Yang is able to find connections to Superman from other aspects of his life, that’s how you know a writer really connects with a character.
    He mentions Greg Pak as helping talk him into writing the book. In Pak's words "there's a core to the character that won't ever change. No matter what happens, Superman stays Superman."

Yang also says he was much happier with his work on New Super-Man compared to his prior run.
    We don’t deserve Pak. He and Yang got screwed over so hard by editorial, I will always be bitter about that. Pak deserves another shot just like Yang got. No surprise Yang was happier, he probably got more freedom and didn’t have to deal with DC’s stupidity when it comes to Kal. Hopefully Kenan returns to prominence soon, he’s my favorite “New Super-Man” indeed . I wish he had been the one to take over for Clark in 5G/Future State but oh well, still looking forward to what they do with Jon.

BANNED

Superman that betray Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen? Must be an idiot in charge. To be fair when I heard about Truth, I also interested in how Luthor react to that. For him Superman is the godly menace that mock him as a human that he thinks that he is a god himself. So I really interest at how Luthor will react to Clark Kent is Superman thing. Sure, Bendis already did that and it's very good too. But, I think there is still something that could digged into and maybe Yang is the guy that could do it.

Greg Pak... Man how I really love this guy. He understand Bruce Banner and Hulk. He understand Darth Vader. Now he show us how he really understand Superman. A certain poster insist Superman has changed from how he is in Golden Age and to me that's bullshit. Superman never changes. He will always be Superman. Man, DC please give this guy another shot please. He understand Superman really well, why don't you give him another shot. But, to be honest when I hear him talk about Vader, I think he is happy there.

I feel like Yang should get his second shot. No editorial this time

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I feel like Yang should get his second shot. No editorial this time
    Seconded. He's my first pick for getting Superman. The dude loves and gets the character. I think his voice would be a good one for Clark in 2020.

Dragon Hoops was really solid.