Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    See, if YOU were writing it I'd read it. I think your write up sounds far more interesting than what I heard, man.

Anyway, it could be interesting. I'll wait and see what you guys think.
    Lol you give me too much credit. I only reiterated what it seemed like Yang was getting at. In my honest opinion that's what Yang's mission statement is.

But you don't have to worry, I'll give my god's honest opinion on the book to you once it comes out.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Lol you give me too much credit. I only reiterated what it seemed like Yang was getting at. In my honest opinion that's what Yang's mission statement is.

But you don't have to worry, I'll give my god's honest opinion on the book to you once it comes out.
    I look forward to hearing your take on this. I like Yang's non-SUPERMAN work. For budget reasons I've commited to just SUPERGIRL.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 03-29-2016 at 05:44 PM.

I can't wait to read this. It sounds so fresh and I love Shanghai. Can't wait to see how it turns out

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virile Agitur View Post
    *sigh*
    why does it seem that anything other than superman being a doormat always equal out to him being a "jerk"?
    confident=jerk.
    beating up bad guys=jerk
    cracking jokes/talking a little trash=jerk
    standing up for himself=jerk

etc...etc...
    That's what I liked about him being "a jerk". Such as beating up the guy in the Diner at the end of Superman 2 or adjusting the leaning tower of pisa in Superman 3. It added some humor to him. Humor is good.

I'm interested to see what the final costume ends up looking like (hint: a lot of red!) I personally like the top left the most. This and Super Sons have me the most intrigued, from the new Rebirth Super books.

*sigh*
    why does it seem that anything other than superman being a doormat always equal out to him being a "jerk"?
    confident=jerk.
    beating up bad guys=jerk
    cracking jokes/talking a little trash=jerk
    standing up for himself=jerk

etc...etc...
    This is what I love about American Alien, Landis isn't afraid to give Clark some attitude and wit!
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

Spectacular Member Virile Agitur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    Siegel and Shuster's Superman was a jerk. He would even torture people.
    and yet...batman thrives.

Spectacular Member Virile Agitur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Lets not get too caught up in poor word choice.
    but here's the thing...
    i remember when yang was doing the interview rounds as he was starting out writing the character. in one interview he said that he went back and read some of the original material and found it "refreshing". and that he was going to try to bring some of that stuff back into play.

i was taken aback by that only because you rarely, if ever, hear a writer on superman acknowledge the original siegel and shuster stuff. because as we all know, it was weisinger and donner who created superman.

but anyway, was it his plan to bring back those aspects that he found "refreshing", only to make a point of 'de-jerkifying' superman as he went along? i dunno. maybe what he didn't end up doing on superman himself, he can do with the new character. "i'm just speculatin' about a hypothesis."

Spectacular Member

My hope is sales for this and Supergirl will surpass the main title and send a strong message.

but here's the thing...
    i remember when yang was doing the interview rounds as he was starting out writing the character. in one interview he said that he went back and read some of the original material and found it "refreshing". and that he was going to try to bring some of that stuff back into play.

i was taken aback by that only because you rarely, if ever, hear a writer on superman acknowledge the original siegel and shuster stuff. because as we all know, it was weisinger and donner who created superman.

but anyway, was it his plan to bring back those aspects that he found "refreshing", only to make a point of 'de-jerkifying' superman as he went along? i dunno. maybe what he didn't end up doing on superman himself, he can do with the new character. "i'm just speculatin' about a hypothesis."
    See I'm actually 100% sure that all of the ideas he'd wanted to originally explore with Clark didn't fit into what editorial wanted with Truth. I really think Yang was muzzled same as everyone else. I mean you can sort of see what Yang is most interested in when it comes to the concept. It's the ideas of culture (which he now doesn't have to use Krypton as a stand in), physical power in today's world, and frontier justice in the age of the internet.

I think him using the actual term jerk was ill worded shorthand in the same way we call the Silver age Superman a dick. Context is lost in both accounts but from a perspective both aren't completely inaccurate given the context of our time, 2016.

I think had intends to take a non rose tinted look at the concept via Kenji. The idea of it starting out a power fantasy for a not so nice person (Kenji starts out, before the powers, as not a nice person) then rolling over through the years and adding the weight and responsibility that comes with the power beyond the fantasy.

It's my sincere hope that above all else Yang. Takes. Things. Sloooooow. Normally that's a pretty annoying aspect of modern comics. The tendency to write for trade. But this is one of the instances where that annoyance doesn't apply. Yang is essentially writing a creator-owned/indie book. Those books thrive on methodical (sometimes long from) story telling. You HAVE to let your characters breath and let the reader get a grasp of them and the world. Assume nothing, but don't treat the reader like a child. A fine line to walk.

Ideally I want this to be what Morrison never gave us: the publication history of Superman truncated (reasonably so) into one single man. But now you can add in heavy helping of indie-like commentary and original characterization because it's not Clark Kent (and it SHOULDN'T BE). So yes, Yang, tell me how impractical a strong guy who beats up people based on his personal views of justice is in the modern world. Show me the turn from brawler to messianic figure and beyond in long form. And then show me something completely new.

To be clear though, these are just my hopes, and what I've hypothesized from Yang's words

I wonder if this will be some kind of Chinese version of Project 7734, or if it's just some kind of Kryptonian tech. Has there been a new version of the Eradicator yet? It's an interesting idea I'll admit.
    Last edited by victorsage; 03-29-2016 at 03:37 PM.

I think he's actually getting Clark's powers straight up. Nothing I've heard or read has suggested to me that it's tech based or anything. The running theory is that he actually somehow gets them from Clark himself.

On the cover of the Super-Man you'll see a girl. This girl can also be seen in the upcoming Super League story. She seems to be data mining the the Fortress somehow. She also seems to be based somewhere in China since we have it confirmed the Great Ten are involved.

In one of the descriptions for the new Super League arc they talk about how current events and the status of Clark's powers have prompted him to form the Super League. There's an image of Clark being checked out by the Fortress robots (interesting to note: this seems to be from the same issue where the girl from China is data mining the Fortress).

It maybe that Clark's body has gone through SO much punishment on a cellular level that being Superman is becoming less and less likely to continue in this form. I mean lets just look: Superdoom, Superman becoming the god of strength and that breaking down his cell structure (Darkseid war), abuse of the solar flare, Truth (depowered), Savage Dawn (Kryptonite therapy), then having them all come back. In the preview they basically allude to this so I don't think I'm far off.

His cell structure is likely mangled and misshapen beyond repair. So the girl from China my be Kenji's benefactor in some way since she seemed to be gathering data on the Fortress and whatnot.

I'll post pictures in a minute.

BANNED

Wasn't The Super Man (i am not going to type this without laughing my brains out of my nose) or The New Superman (or whatever) going to feature a super powered Lex Luthor?

Images from the upcoming issue #51 Clark being checked out by the Fortress. Is it just to make sure his powers are back up and running at 100% or is it saying that it's only temporary? Who knows?

This is what I was talking about before. Is it just an assessment of all of the larger than life foes that prompt the Leagues formation? Or something else?

Here's the girl I was talking about, and she seems to very clearly be from China

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Wasn't The Super Man (i am not going to type this without laughing my brains out of my nose) or The New Superman (or whatever) going to feature a super powered Lex Luthor?
    That was a joke by a poster on here that Bleedingcool that was real.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

She's taking apart the Fortress? Well, that's depressing!

This dude must get his powers from dead Clark, which is funny cause Superman isn't magical he's an alien creature. Ah well.

The Lex Luthor idea would have been a really fun read!