Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Doomsday for that issue looks like a rehash of Post-Crisis, so it shouldn't be a problem for the guy who beat him multiple times in his era. I am pretty sure that even after a few years, he's "still got it".
    Well even for a guy who's had that fight a few times, Doomsday should still be a problem.

Plus, if this is the 52 version of Doomsday (and it'd be weird if it wasnt), there's a whole bucket full of new tricks that Superdad hasn't seen. Unless he saw what the "new" Doomsday can do while watching his doppelganger get turned into a monster on the news.

That said, I do really hope that they play up the guy's experience. If the only differences in how they write Superdad from the normal Superman is that he's got a family and is a little more mellow, then what's the point of doing this?

If we have to have Superdad, then let him showcase his extra decade of experience he has over his younger counterparts. This is a guy who should be ten steps ahead of everyone. If it isnt a matter of "Oh yeah, something like this happened on my world, and we did X,Y, and Z to fix it" then it should just be a matter of age and raw experience. He should be the guy people start calling before they call Batman for answers.

"Oh, hey, there's a giant hypermoth attack timelines!" "Really? Well, call up old man Kent, I bet he's dealt with that before!"

ring ring

"Kent here. Hypermoth? As a matter of fact, I did see that one once. All you gotta do is throw a robot football from the future at it. If Booster Gold can handle it, and mine already did, Im not even gonna bother showing up. Call me if it gets out of hand, I'll be sipping ice tea and playing catch with my boy!"
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well even for a guy who's had that fight a few times, Doomsday should still be a problem.

Plus, if this is the 52 version of Doomsday (and it'd be weird if it wasnt), there's a whole bucket full of new tricks that Superdad hasn't seen. Unless he saw what the "new" Doomsday can do while watching his doppelganger get turned into a monster on the news.

That said, I do really hope that they play up the guy's experience. If the only differences in how they write Superdad from the normal Superman is that he's got a family and is a little more mellow, then what's the point of doing this?

If we have to have Superdad, then let him showcase his extra decade of experience he has over his younger counterparts. This is a guy who should be ten steps ahead of everyone. If it isnt a matter of "Oh yeah, something like this happened on my world, and we did X,Y, and Z to fix it" then it should just be a matter of age and raw experience. He should be the guy people start calling before they call Batman for answers.

"Oh, hey, there's a giant hypermoth attack timelines!" "Really? Well, call up old man Kent, I bet he's dealt with that before!"

ring ring

"Kent here. Hypermoth? As a matter of fact, I did see that one once. All you gotta do is throw a robot football from the future at it. If Booster Gold can handle it, and mine already did, Im not even gonna bother showing up. Call me if it gets out of hand, I'll be sipping ice tea and playing catch with my boy!"
    Sounds like how Jurgens has been writing him all this time.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

ring ring

And that's exactly my point. DC should show that this guy has experience, and differentiate him a little bit from New 52. That's part of setting them up as characters.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Sounds like how Jurgens has been writing him all this time.
    I sort of see it, but not really. At best its been sort of inconsistent.

For example, I'd expect the fight with Blackrock in the latest issue to go a lot smoother for an experienced Man of Steel. Granted its not like Superdad struggled all *that* much, but for a Z-lister like this guy was the fight should have taken a page at the most.

And after dealing with the likes of Manchester Black and Maxima and White Martians, someone like Blanque (or however its spelled) should be a cakewalk.

Its sort of there. There's certainly an attitude of "I got this" coming from Superdad, but his actions dont always support that. But yeah, its not as bad as it could be and its certainly in the general region of where I'd want to see him. Whether that holds up once he takes over the top spot, we'll see. DC can't properly challenge the character in an entertaining and believable way as it is without writing him as half an idiot or screwing with his mind/powers, a Superman who has a decade more experience strikes me as beyond their current capability. But we'll see in a few weeks I suppose.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

For example, I'd expect the fight with Blackrock in the latest issue to go a lot smoother for an experienced Man of Steel. Granted its not like Superdad struggled all *that* much, but for a Z-lister like this guy was the fight should have taken a page at the most.

And after dealing with the likes of Manchester Black and Maxima and White Martians, someone like Blanque (or however its spelled) should be a cakewalk.

Its sort of there. There's certainly an attitude of "I got this" coming from Superdad, but his actions dont always support that. But yeah, its not as bad as it could be and its certainly in the general region of where I'd want to see him. Whether that holds up once he takes over the top spot, we'll see. DC can't properly challenge the character in an entertaining and believable way as it is without writing him as half an idiot or screwing with his mind/powers, a Superman who has a decade more experience strikes me as beyond their current capability. But we'll see in a few weeks I suppose.
    I agree 100%

I don't understand why they made Blanque instead of a new Manchester black. I liked Manchester myself, was even thinking it would be interesting if he could be around for a bit, or be a challenge in giving him a different fate.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Is he dead? Or just injured and unconscious? Sure, they are harkening back to that cover where Superman carries a dead Supergirl in Crisis on Infinite Earth, but they also did that on the cover of an issue early in the new52 Superman title, with Superman and Supergirl, and she was just hurt and unconscious, not dead that time.
    ...Better not trust in DC.. The old is returning to DC... this will be the same of supergirl in I.Crisis.

Although I would like to see Clark Kent in Superman, it will not be possible.. The next year is the 25th birthday to his death.. And this will not be as simple as a superman depowered again.. Let the sad... This will be long..

I'm glad to see Superwoman seems to be worth(great cover).. And new-superman now looks like a teen version of Trinity .. Perhaps this full of humor and with this I can forget this bad years for superman, with characters inexperienced.. I hope the 2 series are active during the rebirth.. you are my alternative to superman.

For now except supergirl. It seems that super series I plan to see do not look bad.

I don't understand why they made Blanque instead of a new Manchester black. I liked Manchester myself, was even thinking it would be interesting if he could be around for a bit, or be a challenge in giving him a different fate.
    Speaking of Manchester(although I do not like this character)..

He was arrested in teen titans? or as the teen titans were criminals he'll still free?
    Last edited by adrikito; 05-13-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    ...Better not trust in DC.. The old is returning to DC... this will be the same of supergirl in I.Crisis.

Although I would like to see Clark Kent in Superman, it will not be possible.. The next year is the 25th birthday to his death.. And this will not be as simple as a superman depowered again.. Let the sad... This will be long..

I'm glad to see Superwoman seems to be worth(great cover).. And new-superman now looks like a teen version of Trinity .. Perhaps this full of humor and with this I can forget this bad years for superman, with characters inexperienced.. I hope the 2 series are active during the rebirth.. you are my alternative to superman.

For now except supergirl. It seems that super series I plan to see do not look bad.

Speaking of Manchester(although I do not like this character)..

He was arrested in teen titans? or as the teen titans were criminals he'll still free?
    Manchester Black committed suicide after Superman: Ending Battle, IIRC

Manchester Black committed suicide after Superman: Ending Battle, IIRC
    Ok.. This was manchester post-new52.

Manchester is in new 52, as enemy of TT... I guess you would not see teen titans.. he appeared many numbers.
    Last edited by adrikito; 05-13-2016 at 03:13 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Manchester is already in the new 52, so it wouldn't have worked.

Clark has been struggling with a low ebb with his powers. An apparent set up for his big debut, when the fluctuations stop and he's the guy we remember.

As others have said, Black was introduced already in Titans. I dropped the book ages ago, so I dunno what has become of him. But if he got schooled by the Titans, he's not ready for Superman. Or anyone worthy of wearing the "S" for that matter.

And I don't think the power level has anything to do with Superdad's experience. He's had screwy powers before, and on a couple occasions didn't even let it stop him (though as often as not its been a reason for him to hang up the cape, though temporarily). I just think the guy struggles far too much with a low-rent version of every psychic foe he's ever faced. I mean, Blanque isnt even one of those good psychics who comes at you in clever ways, he just picks up stuff with telekinesis and throws it. That's not too impressive when Superman has fought dream walkers, reality sculptors, and molecular telekinetics able to cause strokes with a thought. As far as I can recall, Blanque doesn't even come at Superdad telepathically with combo-attacks, its all just raw TK. That shouldn't be a challenge. It should barely be a distraction.

~ Black Panther.

As others have said, Black was introduced already in Titans. I dropped the book ages ago, so I dunno what has become of him. But if he got schooled by the Titans, he's not ready for Superman. Or anyone worthy of wearing the "S" for that matter.

And I don't think the power level has anything to do with Superdad's experience. He's had screwy powers before, and on a couple occasions didn't even let it stop him (though as often as not its been a reason for him to hang up the cape, though temporarily). I just think the guy struggles far too much with a low-rent version of every psychic foe he's ever faced. I mean, Blanque isnt even one of those good psychics who comes at you in clever ways, he just picks up stuff with telekinesis and throws it. That's not too impressive when Superman has fought dream walkers, reality sculptors, and molecular telekinetics able to cause strokes with a thought. As far as I can recall, Blanque doesn't even come at Superdad telepathically with combo-attacks, its all just raw TK. That shouldn't be a challenge. It should barely be a distraction.
    I would chalk it up to the writers/editorial personally. If they need to dumb down his experience, and use power fluctuations to make him a "reign" character, then I guess that is what works, more or less.

Astonishing Member

Already posted in another thread, but maybe it makes more sense here:

Mh. I am seriously beginning to think that the whole Superman REBIRTH operation isn't a homage to the Death of Superman, nor a way to reconnect to old readers, but rather a way to recover from the TRUTH storyline.

My main impression is that Superman Rebirth is radically different from the other Rebirth titles: most of them seem to be a relaunch of the characters, but Superman Rebirth apparently puts him in a temporary condition, so to say; a missing Superman, alternate doppelgangers popping everywhere and so on. All things which need to be resolved sooner or later.

Nicola Scott said that her work on Wonder Woman includes six issues to tell the Year One story. This makes me think that the first phase of Rebirth lasts for 6 months. That's more than enough to make the Superman universe a bit more streamlined, and resolving the secret identity thing - maybe with the old "Superman and Clark Kent in the same place" trick. Which is dated and lame, but I don't see any other reason to keep a Clark Kent around.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post

Mh. I am seriously beginning to think that the whole Superman REBIRTH operation isn't a homage to the Death of Superman, nor a way to reconnect to old readers, but rather a way to recover from the TRUTH storyline.

My main impression is that Superman Rebirth is radically different from the other Rebirth titles: most of them seem to be a relaunch of the characters, but Superman Rebirth apparently puts him in a temporary condition, so to say; a missing Superman, alternate doppelgangers popping everywhere and so on. All things which need to be resolved sooner or later.

Nicola Scott said that her work on Wonder Woman includes six issues to tell the Year One story. This makes me think that the first phase of Rebirth lasts for 6 months. That's more than enough to make the Superman universe a bit more streamlined, and resolving the secret identity thing - maybe with the old "Superman and Clark Kent in the same place" trick. Which is dated and lame, but I don't see any other reason to keep a Clark Kent around.
    Or, in this case, it will be a question of how there can be a Superman when Clark Kent is dead, at least how I think it will be resolved here. The concept of Truth didn't bother me. Dumbing down characters and stretching 10 months did.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post

This is could be it, a return of New-52 CK's secret ID by way of D&R and Reign (?).
    How do they do it? Exactly? I'm not sure. Maybe a phasing out of SuperDad after a certain amount of time?
    This whole thing reminds me of manofsteel1979's "The Man Of Steel Rises" bit from a month or 2 back.