Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    It's clearly a tongue-in-cheek title
    This. And very funny it is, too.

But that aside - it's good for the characters of both Dick and Bruce to be depicted as something other than The Natural Instinctive Best At Everything.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    It's clearly a tongue-in-cheek title
    That seems like its doing exactly what its suppose to

Quote Originally Posted by OWL45 View Post
    Dick at this point is around 21 or 22 age wise, so you mean to tell me he has mastered everything? He still has so many things he can learn to be more capable outside of what Batman taught him. The character should learn from other people so he isn't stuck in a box. That's actually what made Jason Todd more intresting as a character to me because he actually found other teachers to forge himself. I think Dick should be provided the same opportunity to grow as a character.
    I mean that's why current continuity sucks. In Dick's era as Batman he had clearly surpassed his mentor imo. Yet now he's 21, but they say that is still in continuity?

I'm pretty sure in reality it's been retconned and they just don't want to admit it.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

I have no problem with it.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Would be good to have Dick take an outside perspective. Bruce had several teachers over the years, as did Daiman and Tim trained with Dick for a while to learn better acrobatic skills and the like and Dick learned things from the TT too when he was part of that. I'm pretty sure this Raptor is going to be someone that is just going to help him learn to be a stronger and more rounded hero, something that Bruce can appricate in that he too sought out teachers that could advance him in his skills.

To borrow from Star wars, when a paddawan takes on a master it's not the same teacher that first taught him or her. Eventually that student becomes a knight and goes on to learn from another master so that he or she can become a master as well, and even the masters train with others to learn new things. So this is pretty much a case of that.

I actually like the title.

Fantastic Member

Didn't Lady Shiva insinuate this in the Kyle Higgins run of Nightwing when she fought Dick and Bruce for the first time in the NU52 when he was Robin?
    I think it was during the first time she fought nightwing when she said that all dick has is potential that's untapped and keep being untapped as long as he is going to be near Batman's shadow something like that

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    I mean that's why current continuity sucks. In Dick's era as Batman he had clearly surpassed his mentor imo. Yet now he's 21, but they say that is still in continuity?

I'm pretty sure in reality it's been retconned and they just don't want to admit it.
    I keep forgetting he's supposed to be 21. Lol yeah right, he's 25/26 in my mind.

It's not that serious.

BANNED

I'm really curious to know what Raptors deal is.

If Raptor is a female the phrase "clever girl" MUST be used at least once.

Fantastic Member

Why would there be any hate?

Dick has always been better than Bruce in multiple ways.

like his ass.
    Dreaded, run from it, Bendis still arrives to ruin your canon.

I'm still iffy on the new direction and more Owl stuff, but Seeley has earned the goodwill to be trusted to do whatever he wants with the character in my opinion. I think he understand the character given his run on Grayson and I don't think he is going to throw that characterization away. That is the hope anyway.

As for the whole mentor thing it might be a misdirection. Who knows. Dick's two mentors and greatest hero influences are Batman and Superman and it is going to be tough to come up with any character that is "better" than them, but lets see how the story plays out.

I'm very curious what they are actually going to have Dick do in terms of a job. I mean Spyral is going to be gone so he has nothing to really do anymore or any source of income, and I hope they don't give him some normal day job again. Since that has never really worked. I guess he is just going to be working for the Owls full time now?

Dick at this point is around 21 or 22 age wise, so you mean to tell me he has mastered everything? He still has so many things he can learn to be more capable outside of what Batman taught him. The character should learn from other people so he isn't stuck in a box. That's actually what made Jason Todd more intresting as a character to me because he actually found other teachers to forge himself. I think Dick should be provided the same opportunity to grow as a character.
    Well Dick is arguably one of, if not the, most developed character in all of comics. So I think he has grown as a character pretty well. The problem tends to be that his character gets regressed because he grows too much and he has to be reset a lot.
    Last edited by Badou; 03-30-2016 at 07:13 AM.

Dick needs a new mentor because he's still young and a lot younger then he was post crisis
    In many respects he acts nothing like Batman which creates a stark contrast to how he's presented nowadays.
    Someone who acts more like Dick would be interesting to see tie it in with the CoO stuff and you might have a winner for nightwing

BANNED

In business, you have mentors. Even entrepreneurs have mentors when they're running their first companies. Not sure why heroes wouldn't have mentors, particularly when it's in areas where they have less experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I'm very curious what they are actually going to have Dick do in terms of a job. I mean Spyral is going to be gone so he has nothing to really do anymore or any source of income, and I hope they don't give him some normal day job again. Since that has never really worked. I guess he is just going to be working for the Owls full time now?
    Seeley sort of touched on this in the video interview he did with Comic Vine right after the REBIRTH announcement (sorry, can't do a link right now, you can find it linked on Seeley's Twitter). When asked about the question of Dick's secret identity, he said that the end of Grayson will "put that genie back in the bottle," and that Dick could just be Dick Grayson hanging around in coffee shops if he wanted to. The first couple of issues of Nightwing will be about why he doesn't want to do that, and what he is doing instead.