Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    Angela's series from the 90s only a 3 issue mini and a couple of crossover one shots...if it were extremely popular, I don't think they would have waited over a decade to try again.

As to keeping her iconic look like all the A-list heroes, which A-list heroes are you reading, exactly? Because almost all over them have had costume overhauls in recent years (especially the women).
    1st issue of the mini series sold over 100,000 copies. I'd call that successful. And I'm comfortable saying the costumes of SpiderMan, Captain America, Ant Man, Wolverine, etc are all pretty similar to their 1st appearances. Why not Angela?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    1st issue of the mini series sold over 100,000 copies. I'd call that successful. And I'm comfortable saying the costumes of SpiderMan, Captain America, Ant Man, Wolverine, etc are all pretty similar to their 1st appearances. Why not Angela?
    The Angela mini came out at a very different time when sales on comics were generally much higher...if it were a huge success, they would have followed up on that...I'm not saying it was a flop but it wasn't a huge hit either.

Spiderman now has a glowy spider-signal on his chest (and this is only the latest of about half a dozen different costumes he's had in the last decade or so), Captain America isn't even currently the same guy and has a totally different costume (even the costume the original is about to use when he comes back is substantially different if only because he won't have his iconic shield), Ant Man I'll grant you but he's not exactly an icon (or even the original Ant-Man for that matter), and Wolverine is currently dead (the older, alternate universe version running around doesn't even wear a costume and the new, female version looks significantly different for obvious reasons).

And the female characters are generally wearing far less skimpy outfits these days...Red Sonja doesn't even get to keep her chain mail bikini...things change for better or worse.
    Last edited by grinningdemon; 03-30-2016 at 07:52 PM.

Ultimate Member

I'm not saying there's not storytelling potential for a Magik series...I'm just not sure about her being on her own doing all the things you mention...part of the fun with her is seeing her interaction with the more "normal" characters...the potential is there for any decent character but it needs the right spin or it will fail...she's popular but not so popular that her name alone is going to immediately sell a book...and they don't usually put the big name talent on first time solo books...it makes it hard for them to really take off...I actually think your ideas would work better with a small team rather than just a Magik solo...something like Exiles but with more of a mystical bent and a good reason behind what they are doing...maybe even an Excalibur revival that could keep that x-connection going and bring in more magical elements.
    I'd have to 100% disagree with this -- a lot of Illyana's problem is that she's always been defined by those around her, especially Peter.

If there's any character who needs time alone to find out what she's all about and work out her (literal) inner demons, it's Illyana... and there's virtually no limit to the kinds of stories you could tell with a character who has her power-set and background: a book like that would only be limited by the imaginations of the creators.

Again -- if they can give characters like Modok, Magneto, and Karnak a shot, then there's no reason they can't do the same for Magik, and while your pragmatism is understandable, the fact is that no one knows what is going to work until they try it -- especially in the current market.

I think the reality here is that you're probably not the "target demographic" for most of the books we are discussing (Civil War, Bendis' Spiderman and other "legacy" books, Magik solo)... but that doesn't mean said books won't sell and/or be successful.

Objectively speaking, many of the books you are criticizing actually sell very well, so it's hard to accept your hypotheses with regards to what "works" and what doesn't with regards to Marvel's bottom line.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-30-2016 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    People need to chill their boats over this THE Spider-Man business. The only person selling Miles that way is Bendis because he's writing the book and made the character. He's just playing hype man for his book and his creation. Miles isn't running around screaming that he's THE only and THE true Spider anything. He just simply wants to be known as Spider-Man rather than Black Spider-Man no different than Peter would obviously prefer to be Spider-Man not Jewish or White Spider-Man. Its a name. No one calls my friends White Max or Black Derek nor do they want to be called that. There is no controversy here. Move along. Thanks for ruining a thread that could have actually been about a great and insightful interview.
    Ok Some Guy here is a question Why, why does his creator want Miles to be known as Spider-Man its not like people aren't interested in the character so he could be given a respectful codename and for example how many Batman are there running round 1, how many Superman 1, in Marvel we have 2 captain Americas, 3 spiderman, we are going to have 2 Thors, we already had 3 ant-man and 2 hawkeyes, why not give him a codename of his own. And to your point there is controversy Bendis wants to sell him as THE Spider-man and is hyping Miles as such wanting people to forget that Peter is Spider-Man as well, no one is saying he should be call the black spider-man and if that's the issue one way to fix it, change the name he cant be known as the Black Spider-Man if he isn't called Spider-Man and there are some outright ******* ***** who would do it.
    Last edited by VolcanikTiger86; 03-31-2016 at 03:11 AM.
    Truth is the best policy

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    Ok Some Guy here is a question Why, why does his creator want Miles to be known as Spider-Man its not like people aren't interested in the character so he could be given a respectful codename and for example how many Batman are there running round 1, how many Superman 1, in Marvel we have 2 captain Americas, 3 spiderman, we are going to have 2 Thors, we already had 3 ant-man and 2 hawkeyes, why not give him a codename of his own. And to your point there is controversy Bendis wants to sell him as THE Spider-man and is hyping Miles as such wanting people to forget that Peter is Spider-Man as well, no one is saying he should be call the black spider-man and if that's the issue one way to fix it, change the name he cant be known as the Black Spider-Man if he isn't called Spider-Man and there are some outright ******* ***** who would do it.
    If you like the way DC does it, read their stuff. Why would you want the two cape companies to be even more similar? I REALLY like that more than one person uses the same hero name. I know plenty of people who do. And it's helped lift a lot of lesser known characters into a bigger spotlight. Brand recognition is real.

I don't understand why anyone would get worked up just because Bendis is hyping up Miles. Your wasting your breath, time, and energy getting worked up over a completely non-existent issue.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I'd have to 100% disagree with this -- a lot of Illyana's problem is that she's always been defined by those around her, especially Peter.

If there's any character who needs time alone to find out what she's all about and work out her (literal) inner demons, it's Illyana... and there's virtually no limit to the kinds of stories you could tell with a character who has her power-set and background: a book like that would only be limited by the imaginations of the creators.
    Oh, I absolutely agree she needs to get away from Peter...putting them back in the same book on a regular basis was a bad idea...I'm all for the character getting greater spotlight but, as I said, a big part of what many fans like about Magik is her interactions with her teammates who don't have the same issues...as such, I'm just not convinced a solo would take off...but again, if it has the right hook then anything is possible...and ANY book is only limited by the imaginations of the creators...but it requires the right approach for a fledgling solo character to break away from an established franchise and really work both creatively and commercially...traditionally, it's actually easier for a character that didn't start out on a team to take off as a solo.

Again -- if they can give characters like Modok, Magneto, and Karnak a shot, then there's no reason they can't do the same for Magik, and while your pragmatism is understandable, the fact is that no one knows what is going to work until they try it -- especially in the current market.
    The books you mention were not standard solo titles...Karnak and Modok in particular are unconventional titles with unconventional premises...and Magneto had a unique hook too in that he was largely depowered (having to be very creative in the use of his abilities) and was essentially acting as a mutant Punisher...even so, that book still basically evolved into a team book by the end. These all have unique mission statements (Karnak especially is likely only in existence because of Warren Ellis and will likely end as soon as he is done).

I think the reality here is that you're probably not the "target demographic" for most of the books we are discussing (Civil War, Bendis' Spiderman and other "legacy" books, Magik solo)... but that doesn't mean said books won't sell and/or be successful.
    Target demographic means nothing if the book doesn't have the right hook...solo titles in this day and age do not take off without that unless the character is massively popular and most of those characters already have solo titles...they are a hard sell for characters not traditionally on their own which is why there is such a high turnover on them.

Objectively speaking, many of the books you are criticizing actually sell very well, so it's hard to accept your hypotheses with regards to what "works" and what doesn't with regards to Marvel's bottom line.
    You are combining two different issues...the books I was criticizing were not books that I said would not sell or be commercially successful. I fully expect Civil War II will be a huge commercial hit from the hype alone if nothing else (also the movie tie-in)...I also expect Miles' book to do very well at least in the beginning because he is now in the regular MU and interacting with those characters which gives the book an extra push...but sales do not always equal quality...there are a lot of very good books that don't sell well enough to keep going and a lot of really bad books that sell very well and have extremely long runs.
    Last edited by grinningdemon; 03-31-2016 at 06:52 AM.

Ultimate Member

You are combining two different issues...the books I was criticizing were not books that I said would not sell or be commercially successful. I fully expect Civil War II will be a huge commercial hit from the hype alone if nothing else (also the movie tie-in)...I also expect Miles' book to do very well at least in the beginning because he is now in the regular MU and interacting with those characters which gives the book an extra push...but sales do not always equal quality...there are a lot of very good books that don't sell well enough to keep going and a lot of really bad books that sell very well and have extremely long runs.
    Fair assessment, though I still think an Illyana solo would work (and sell) very well with Sara as the artist... and with a writer who isn't afraid to explore taboo subjects and the entirety of human history, it could garner a lot of critical acclaim as well. I've always felt that Marvel could use some "Vertigo" in it's mix, and I think Illyana would be the perfect character to pull that off. You'd have to have the right artist on the book (Pichelli) and if it were up to me, I'd look for a popular "mainstream" fantasy and/or horror writer to pen the first year or so, as Marvel has done with Black Panther (and Ta-nehisi Coates).

The matter of "quality" has always been subjective -- I was just pointing out that if you are going to say that certain books won't 'work' (as you did in the initial postings) then you have to separate what you want to see versus what sells. Many of your posts seemed to criticize the (subjective) "quality" of certain books (such as Bendis' Spider-Man) without taking into account the fact that what's considered "good" by many long-term comic book fans isn't always what is popular or what sells.

I have a much better understanding of what you are saying now -- thanks for clearing it up.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-31-2016 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    The character has been Spider-Man since he was created, why would they change his name because people that were probably weren't even buying his book don't like that he's calling himself that?

Your profile pic is White Tiger, how many of them are running around in the MU?

This argument is silly and is totally missing the point of what Miles was even saying in that scene
    We need better comics

Astonishing Member

Fair assessment, though I still think an Illyana solo would work (and sell) very well with Sara as the artist... and with a writer who isn't afraid to explore taboo subjects and the entirety of human history, it could garner a lot of critical acclaim as well. I've always felt that Marvel could use some "Vertigo" in it's mix, and I think Illyana would be the perfect character to pull that off. You'd have to have the right artist on the book (Pichelli) and if it were up to me, I'd look for a popular "mainstream" fantasy and/or horror writer to pen the first year or so, as Marvel has done with Black Panther (and Ta-nehisi Coates).
    They have attempted to do vertigo style books over the years...they had the MAX imprint but, aside from a couple of exceptions (like Alias), it was a failure...I would also argue some of Warren Ellis' recent books like Moon Knight and Karnak are more along those lines.

The thing is, they are unlikely to but an A-list, big name creative team on a Magik book...Black Panther is getting one because he's about to show up in the movies and already has a fairly successful history with solo series. As such, if a Magik book were to happen, it would likely be by lesser known creators and the strength behind it will depend on the approach (even then, they often fail commercially).

As to my own preferences, I don't mind exploring new material and being bold but I don't like it when a book is so experimental that it doesn't even seem like the same character anymore (as with Ellis' Karnak and Moon Knight)...there needs to be a balance.

As I've said, a book like this could work but it would be a hard sell which is why I still think a team book could do much of the things you want to see but still have enough mainstream appeal to really take off (and more likely to better known creators as well)...critical acclaim is great but it doesn't equal sales...once again, there needs to be a balance if a book is going to stick around.

The matter of "quality" has always been subjective -- I was just pointing out that if you are going to say that certain books won't 'work' (as you did in the initial postings) then you have to separate what you want to see versus what sells. Many of your posts seemed to criticize the (subjective) "quality" of certain books (such as Bendis' Spider-Man) without taking into account the fact that what's considered "good" by many long-term comic book fans isn't always what is popular or what sells.
    Of course quality is subjective (usually)...in our earlier discussion, we're speaking primarily of content rather than sales so I didn't see the need to make the distinction.

I have a much better understanding of what you are saying now -- thanks for clearing it up.
    Sure thing.
    Last edited by grinningdemon; 03-31-2016 at 09:40 AM.

Ultimate Member

They have attempted to do vertigo style books over the years...they had the MAX imprint but, aside from a couple of exceptions (like Alias), it would a failure...I would also argue some of Warren Ellis' recent books like Moon Knight and Karnak are more along those lines.

The thing is, they are unlikely to but an A-list, big name creative team on a Magik book...Black Panther is getting one because he's about to show up in the movies and already has a fairly successful history with solo series. As such, if a Magik book were to happen, it would likely be by lesser known creators and the strength behind it will depend on the approach (even then, they often fail commercially).

Of course quality is subjective (usually)...in our earlier discussion, we're speaking primarily of content rather than sales so I didn't see the need to make the distinction.
    I'm not saying what Marvel will -- or won't -- do with regards to Illyana; I'm saying what I would do with said character if given the opportunity to do so.

I think it was your comment about what "works" in a comic -- and your subsequent dismissals of nearly every alternative viewpoint -- that gave off the impression that you weren't being "subjective" in your analyses, which is why I made it a point to say that (I think) as readers we should always keep an open mind.

After you began to admit that some of these books could possibly "work" despite your opinions about them (and biases against them), it became a lot clearer that you were actually being somewhat subjective in your responses, rather than objective.

I can openly admit that -- as a fan of the original New Mutants team -- I am biased towards Illyana, though I wouldn't say the same for Miles, as you earlier suggested. I am, however, interested in the themes that Bendis is choosing to explore early in this book, and that's why it "works" for me, though it may not do so for you.

My main issue was with you claiming to know what "works" and what doesn't in a comic book, as that didn't strike me as being a very "subjective" viewpoint, especially given the fact that no one can really predict the next Deadpool or Kamala with any certainty: both artists and companies have to take risks to grow in my opinion, and I suppose I'm just a lot less conservative in that respect than you are. For instance, you'd put Illyana on a team -- as she has always been -- where I would send her (solo) all throughout history, learning magick and investigating the occult.

Certainly, we could argue all day on whether said Illyana solo would "work" or not, but ultimately I feel that's a decision best left to the current market, rather than judging by past successes or failures.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-31-2016 at 10:11 AM.

Astonishing Member

I'm not saying what Marvel will -- or won't -- do with regards to Illyana; I'm saying what I would do with said character if given the opportunity to do so.

I think it was your comment about what "works" in a comic -- and your subsequent dismissals of nearly every alternative viewpoint -- that gave off the impression that you weren't being "subjective" in your analyses, which is why I made it a point to say that (I think) as readers we should always keep an open mind.

After you began to admit that some of these books could possibly "work" despite your opinions about them (and biases against them), it became a lot clearer that you were actually being somewhat subjective in your responses, rather than objective.

I can openly admit that -- as a fan of the original New Mutants team -- I am biased towards Illyana, though I wouldn't say the same for Miles, as you earlier suggested. I am, however, interested in the themes that Bendis is choosing to explore early in this book, and that's why it "works" for me, though it may not do so for you.

My main issue was with you claiming to know what "works" and what doesn't in a comic book, as that didn't strike me as being a very "subjective" viewpoint, especially given the fact that no one can really predict the next Deadpool or Kamala with any certainty: both artists and companies have to take risks to grow in my opinion, and I suppose I'm just a lot less conservative in that respect than you are. For instance, you'd put Illyana on a team -- as she has always been -- where I would send her (solo) all throughout history, learning magick and investigating the occult.

Certainly, we could argue all day on whether said Illyana solo would "work" or not, but ultimately I feel that's a decision best left to the current market, rather than judging by past successes or failures.
    Of course my comments about what "works" are subjective but they are informed by my knowledge as a long term reader and observer of Marvel's practices. I can always be proven wrong (it's been known to happen and I'm usually happy when it does) but, however cynical I might appear, my predictions often end up being proven right...time will tell. I keep an open mind about things and creators that really appeal to me but I can't bring myself to do that with everything (been burned too many times)...but I'm always pleasantly surprised when I book I expect to be terrible turns out to be good (I keep falling back on the Bendis X-Men run as an example of this).

As much as I have my own personal preferences about how I would like to see something written or books I would like to see happen, I always take a more practical view based on experience about what might actually get done...and, if I hear a suggestion that I think has merit, my first thought is to tweak it to give it the best chance of success (in this case making it a team rather than a solo).

Of course companies need to take risks to grow but they are also going to be reviewing those past successes and failures when they decide what to do. Deadpool, for instance, wasn't much of a risk...they introduced him in a team book and noticed his growing popularity and capitalized on it by giving him his own book. Kamala (and Miles too, for that matter) were part of a clear (and totally understandable) initiative that both Marvel and DC have been pushing to add more diversity to their universe. In some ways this is a great thing and long overdue but it can go too far at times...and, unfortunately, that initiative could also work against the chances of a Magik solo.

Sorry, man...it's my nature to think critically.

In a perfect world, any decent pitch for a book would make it to print and, if well written, be both a critical and commercial success...but that's just not the way it "works."
    Last edited by grinningdemon; 03-31-2016 at 10:45 AM.

Ultimate Member

Of course companies need to take risks to grow but they are also going to be reviewing those past successes and failures when they decide what to do. Deadpool, for instance, wasn't much of a risk...they introduced him in a team book and noticed his growing popularity and capitalized on it by giving him his own book. Kamala (and Miles too, for that matter) were part of a clear (and totally understandable) initiative that both Marvel and DC have been pushing to add more diversity to their universe. In some ways this is a great thing and long overdue but it can go too far at times...and, unfortunately, that initiative could also work against the chances of a Magik solo.
    Considering the fact that Illyana is a relatively popular character who has been featured on team books -- as well as a female character who could be considered part of that same "diversity" initiative that Marvel is pushing for -- said initiative could also work for her if she were promoted correctly.

I guess I just don't have that same cynical outlook with regards to Marvel's current direction. They seem to be pretty good lately at addressing fan concerns, along with trying to give everyone something that they can enjoy, whether classic (Vision, Black Panther, Hellcat) or "new" (Miles, Kamala, etc).

Likewise, I have no problem with "legacy" characters and the like, especially when the "originals" don't suffer any long-term negative effects from their introduction -- in fact, I find characters like Gwen, Cindy, and MIles just as interesting as Peter in their own way, if not more so since they are relatively "new" characters with fresh perspectives and stories. Granted, it's up to writers like Bendis and Wilson to keep that interest, but so far, so good (in my opinion, of course).

Not every series is successful in that regard, but I'm definitely glad to see them making a concentrated effort to give us (the readers) more options.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-31-2016 at 12:37 PM.

Astonishing Member

Considering the fact that Illyana is a relatively popular character who has been featured on team books -- as well as a female character who could be considered part of that same "diversity" initiative that Marvel is pushing for -- said initiative could also work for her if she were promoted correctly.
    Always a possibility but I just don't see it working in her favor...again, I could always be proven wrong down the line.

I guess I just don't have that same cynical outlook with regards to Marvel's current direction. They seem to be pretty good lately at addressing fan concerns, along with trying to give everyone something that they can enjoy.
    I guess you and I have very different views on that then...while I do think they are making an effort to appeal to new readers, aside from a few exceptions, I don't see them really trying to appeal to long term fans much...in fact, some times they seem to enjoy trolling them by intentionally putting out stories that they know will be extremely polarizing particularly because they don't care if the readers like something as long as they are reading it and talking about it...I've read interviews with Quesada (particularly in regards to some of the changes made to Spiderman) where he basically said as much.

Likewise, I have no problem with "legacy" characters and the like, especially when the "originals" don't suffer any long-term negative effects from their introduction -- in fact, I find characters like Gwen, Cindy, and MIles just as interesting as Peter in their own way, if not more so since they are relatively "new" characters with fresh perspectives and stories.
    My problem with the legacy/replacement characters is mainly that it's been done to death to the point where it almost seems like an assembly line...when it only used to happen occasionally, I didn't have a problem with it and I even preferred some of them to the originals...but now it's constant. There used to be a standard formula for these stories where the original would "die" (or otherwise be removed somehow), the replacement would come in for a while, and then they would make a big deal out of bringing back the original before either killing the replacement or spinning them off into a new identity. Now, they seem to have altered the formula...the original rarely dies (mostly because they've pretty much all already died at some point, some more than once) but is instead sidelined somehow (Thor being unworthy, Cap being drained of the super soldier serum), the replacement comes in and then, after a while, they still make a big deal out of bringing back the original (as they are currently doing with Cap) but they still keep the replacement with the same identity...and even that didn't bother me when they only did it once or twice...but now it's become a regular thing almost to the point of ridiculousness.

That said, I don't include alternate reality characters like Gwen in that...I have no problem with it and I think that's a fun idea...likewise, I don't really consider Silk to be a legacy/replacement character but just a connected one (my only problem with her is I didn't them messing with Peter's origin)...Kaine/Scarlet Spider, for instance, is a great character and is certainly connected to Spiderman but he's not really a legacy/replacement either since he never went by Spiderman...it can be a fine line but there is a difference. I do like some of these characters but it does seem like the Spiderman "family" is a bit out of control these days (kind of like the Hulk family a few years back).

Not every series is successful in that regard, but I'm definitely glad to see them making a concentrated effort to give us (the readers) more options.
    I don't mind more options but some of them leave me scratching my head wondering what they were thinking.

Ultimate Member

I guess you and I have very different views on that then...while I do think they are making an effort to appeal to new readers, aside from a few exceptions, I don't see them really trying to appeal to long term fans much...in fact, some times they seem to enjoy trolling them by intentionally putting out stories that they know will be extremely polarizing particularly because they don't care if the readers like something as long as they are reading it and talking about it...I've read interviews with Quesada (particularly in regards to some of the changes made to Spiderman) where he basically said as much...

I don't mind more options but some of them leave me scratching my head wondering what they were thinking.
    That's because, as I noted before, you're probably not the target demographic for a lot of these changes; for example, f you don't have an interest in racial issues, then Miles' most recent concerns may not be of concern to you.

With regards to long term fans, I've noticed that many complain about "legacy" books while simultaneously ignoring all of the original "classic" characters who are getting new or relaunched series (Black Knight, Mockingbird, Hellcat, Vision, Black Panther, Moon Knight, Hawkeye, Squirrel Girl, Power Man and Iron Fist, A-Force, Carnage, Hercules, Howard the Duck, The Inhumans, Squadron Supreme, Venom, Scarlet Witch, Spider-Woman, Extraordinary X-Men, The Ultimates, etc) as well as those A-Lister's who are getting a new lease on life with current or upcoming series (Steve Rogers, Peter Parker, Tony Stark, Odinson).

It just comes off as "selective outrage" -- the choices are there for "classic" fans, but it seems most would prefer to complain about what they don't like, rather than just buying what they do like instead.

There seems to be a double standard at work: if a "minority" book fails, it because people are growing tired of "legacies" and/or "diversity" being forced on them... but if a "classic" character like Moon Knight, Venom, Black Knight, Vision, Gambit (etc) fails, it's because the individual character just didn't find an "audience".

As the above list shows, the "classic" options are there... but with all the talk of "legacies" and "PC" from many long-term fans, you'd think that said options don't even exist.

Objectively speaking, if "legacy" characters such as Kamala, Miles, Jane, and Laura are outselling the vast majority of the "classic" original characters (Ororo, Jennifer, Flash, Elektra, Clint, Marc, Natasha, etc) then it makes a lot more sense for Marvel to go with what works than what doesn't... even though they are currently attempting to do both with relaunches of of titles such as Black Panther, Mockingbird, Moon Knight, and every other title mentioned above.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-31-2016 at 05:01 PM.

There seems to be a double standard at work: if a "minority" book fails, it because people are growing tired of "legacies" and/or "diversity" being forced on them... but if Moon Knight, Venom, Black Knight, Vision, Gambit (etc) fail, it's because the individual character just didn't find an "audience".
    I find that strange too. If a book is cancelled because of low sales then its always an audience issue. Any reaching for another reason is simply that, reaching.

Objectively speaking, if "legacy" characters such as Kamala, Miles, Jane, and Laura are outselling the vast majority of the "classic" original characters (Ororo, Jennifer, Flash, Elektra, Clint, Marc, Natasha, etc) then it makes a lot more sense for Marvel to go with what works than what doesn't... even though they are currently attempting to do both with relaunches of of titles such as Black Panther, Mockingbird, Moon Knight, and every other title mentioned above.
    The legacy vs. original match up is always convoluted at best. Can't match like for like in most cases as having a legacy book tends to preclude there being a similar original book running at the same time. Any character can be mediocre for most of their existence but spike on a hot creative team to become popular for a while. This applies for original characters and any characters deemed as legacies. Lightning in a bottle, it happens.

IMHO Marvel mixing things up between relaunches & legacies is fine. I'll admit that my Marvel purchases are at a low right now but I'm not adverse to them trying new things.