Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Superwoman Art

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Hold on, whoever she is, what the hell is the point of creating this Superwoman character! What‘s the point, when you already have the greatest female superhero/character..she‘s called Wonder Woman!

And then you have other existing powerful female characters that don‘t get the limelight/don‘t get enough quality direction...Power Girl, Wonder Girl/Donna, Big Barda....

Is Superwoman really just about letting Phil Jimenez write Wonder Woman under another name?

Jon

Spectacular Member

Yeah Jon, thats my big reservation with this book too. Much rather see a Donna Troy or Power Girl book than a Superwoman. The Art is great but the idea is weak tea.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edwardsdv View Post
    Yeah Jon, thats my big reservation with this book too. Much rather see a Donna Troy or Power Girl book than a Superwoman. The Art is great but the idea is weak tea.
    Ha ha, and I'm no fan of weak tea....shame, I did like Jimenez on Wonder Woman, he might have been better used on Donna or Power Girl as you mention..

cheers

Jon

Pass.

Won't be hard for me not to buy that book.

However, it still sounds much better than Super Sons.

That Lois Lane as "Superwoman" is sounding much better than Super Sons just tells you how much I don't want to get Super Sons.

Despite everything I hate about what they are probably doing to new52 Superman and the last five years, and SuperDad in a universe not his own (With apologies to Howard the Duck, who I actually like), I'm still a bit drawn to the traditional Superman titles left after SuperLeague- Action Comics, Superman, and Justice League. I might think about getting them (Or one them- I do like Bryan Hitch's writing on JLA, and he's taking over JL), though I'm undecided so far and could easily decide to skip them. I also might consider the unique take of a Chinese man becoming the Superman of Shanghai in New Super-Man. But the other books don't even tempt me to consider them.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    "If all goes as planned". Poor guy. Even he understands with how schizophrenic Didio and Lee are, things could change at the drop of a hat.
    It's kind of a depressing comment.

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    Hold on, whoever she is, what the hell is the point of creating this Superwoman character! What‘s the point, when you already have the greatest female superhero/character..she‘s called Wonder Woman!

And then you have other existing powerful female characters that don‘t get the limelight/don‘t get enough quality direction...Power Girl, Wonder Girl/Donna, Big Barda....

Is Superwoman really just about letting Phil Jimenez write Wonder Woman under another name?

Jon
    Is there a quota on female heroes?

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post

Jon
    It's about leveraging the Superman name and the S-shield for marketing reasons. Which does not always lead to the best stories. Or even the best sales figures.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It's kind of a depressing comment.

Is there a quota on female heroes?
    Unfortunately, in effect, I think there is - particularly at DC. And most female characters there who headline a book will be spin-offs - Bats or Supes. Whether it makes "business sense" or not is beyond me, but it doesn't thrill me as a reader.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Unfortunately, in effect, I think there is - particularly at DC. And most female characters there who headline a book will be spin-offs - Bats or Supes. Whether it makes "business sense" or not is beyond me, but it doesn't thrill me as a reader.
    My wife only reads female superheroes. But she doesn't read the spin-off ones unless theyre doing something markedly different from their male counterparts, like Batgirl or Spider-Gwen.

So like, even though Superman being a woman would make him more interesting to her shes gonna pass on this. Which sort of begs the question of who exactly the audience is for this book besides "people who read Superman".

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

*shrug*

Unlike Spider-Woman and Ms. Marvel, I find Batgirl and Spider-Gwen too similar to Batman and Spider-Man for investment. Spider-Gwen replaced Spider-Girl as the "what if Spider-Man was a girl" book, with the same villains and supporting characters. But to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Most characters are derivative. But DC did give us Voodoo, Prez, Black Canary, Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman spin-offs, Poison Ivy, and Katana within a five year period, so there's that.

My wife only reads female superheroes. But she doesn't read the spin-off ones unless theyre doing something markedly different from their male counterparts, like Batgirl or Spider-Gwen.

So like, even though Superman being a woman would make him more interesting to her shes gonna pass on this. Which sort of begs the question of who exactly the audience is for this book besides "people who read Superman".
    She's going to pass on this with no information beyond a single image?

This book is the most intriguing to me out of all the Superman line, announcements. Wished they revealed more on it, but maybe that would have been a spoiler for Super League.

BANNED

Whoever she is considered to very welcome. For years we only had a "Supergirl" but the few "Superwomen" were mostly "villains" so I find it very cool that finally there is a Superwoman super heroine.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sansomon View Post
    Whoever she is considered to very welcome. For years we only had a "Supergirl" but the few "Superwomen" were mostly "villains" so I find it very cool that finally there is a Superwoman super heroine.
    Agreed.

Superwoman usually heralded the end of a universe too. Kristen Wells was introduced before COIE and Lucy Lane was before Flashpoint. I'm glad this one heralds the beginning of the universe.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    She's going to pass on this with no information beyond a single image?
    She looks just like superman but a girl which has been enough for her to pass on Supergirl and Lady Thor so, like yeah, I have no illusion that she's gonna want to read this not matter what.

Extraordinary Member

She looks just like superman but a girl which has been enough for her to pass on Supergirl and Lady Thor so, like yeah, I have no illusion that she's gonna want to read this not matter what.
    Perhaps show her the PAD Supergirl series. That was a completely different character with a different powerset as well.