Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 354142434445
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    New 52 Superman seemed more Superboy than Superman to me. And the titles seemed to be all over the place. I like my heroes aspirational
    You can thank Didio for that one. There was no coordination among any of the New 52 titles. He wouldn't just get out of his own way and let the people he hired do their jobs.
    Assassinate Putin!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Insert 43 lines jokes...
    If i have to choose between devil and hard place.with 43 lines,clark ain't annoying..That oil rig scene is the best superman on film for me.I would want an entire movie out of that.Clark doesn't talk..like at all through out the entire thing.. A mute superman is the best superman

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Side note: It’s interesting to see how many people really did leave after they killed New 52 Superman. Reading this thread was… interesting.

Snyder actually made fun of t-shirt and jeans Superman:

While to be frank I doubt Zack has actually read many Superman comics based on his own words about not connecting with cape comics because there was no sex or killing, the Superman he, Goyer, and Terrio shaped was drawing on Earth One, Byrne MoS, Injustice, and Johns Secret Origin. Conscious decision or not, those are the comics which have similar takes, and I guess the “hope” bit from Birthright. But they didn’t take anything from the New 52, unless you want to stretch taking a similar approach to the costume via getting rid of the trunks.
    There was no injustice inspiration to mos.It was only in bvs and later things.He was talking about smallville
    New 52 Superman seemed more Superboy than Superman to me. And the titles seemed to be all over the place. I like my heroes aspirational
    Maybe,then i find superboy more aspirational
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-21-2024 at 10:43 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    You can thank Didio for that one. There was no coordination among any of the New 52 titles. He wouldn't just get out of his own way and let the people he hired do their jobs.
    If only one could go back in time and make it so he got work anywhere but DC....

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

If only one could go back in time and make it so he got work anywhere but DC....
    The shakeup was desperately needed when he originally came in and I think he did a decent job for a while, but he stayed at least a decade past his peak (along with Johns). I'd argue his botching of Infinite Crisis (constantly late, shifting plans, the OYL debacle) being the time to go.

People being allowed to stay in the same roles in perpetuity, be it EIC or just writing one book, will always lead to a decay in quality over time. Any creative role (and Publisher/EIC is creative) should be shifted every 5-10 years to maintain freshness.
    Last edited by exile001; 03-22-2024 at 09:18 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

He had a lot of good outside the box ideas like Black Label and Earth One and even New 52. But he was also a micromanager who had some other unpopular ideas like getting rid of Dick Grayson. As an ideas guy he kind of worked. But he couldn't be left in charge. He needed a handler and didn't really have one.
    Assassinate Putin!

This is a frequent daydream of mine, though I wouldn't wish him on anyone else. He destroyed so much during his reign of terror.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Well, New 52 Superman's run did start out more or less as Superboy...

Yeah, the worst part of New 52 Superman had to be the lack of coordination between the Super editors and the writers.
    I agree that this was one of the worst aspects of the New 52, though not the worst. The worst was that it was a WB directive issued practically overnight, with the scrambling to make it happen evident in every aspect of the creation of the comics and the comics themselves.

The best solution to the perceived problem of DC at the time (which was, not unsurprisingly, believe to be with Superman and WW to some degree) would have been to put the New 52 creators on the Earth-One books. This would have served as DC's answer to Ultimate Marvel, which would have been largely accepted given that UM was almost a decade old at this point. Meanwhile, the core DC titles could have also been refreshed. Johns and Lee were going to work together on a new JL book that had to be adjusted to fit into the reboot, but they could have done that title in the core DCU. This would have been a big seller for DC at the time and the interest would have likely translated to other titles. Superman had some rough years before the New 52, but none of them were character-based. Editorial mismanagement and a lack of understanding of the character had already led to Birthright and Secret Origins. All Superman and WW needed at the time were dedicated writers willing to stay on and produce consistent runs.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't mind seeing DC use some of the elements of the New 52 for the rumored "Ultimate DC." I liked the majority of what Morrison did with Superman, but it only worked as an alternate continuity and should have been such from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    I agree that this was one of the worst aspects of the New 52, though not the worst. The worst was that it was a WB directive issued practically overnight, with the scrambling to make it happen evident in every aspect of the creation of the comics and the comics themselves.

The best solution to the perceived problem of DC at the time (which was, not unsurprisingly, believe to be with Superman and WW to some degree) would have been to put the New 52 creators on the Earth-One books. This would have served as DC's answer to Ultimate Marvel, which would have been largely accepted given that UM was almost a decade old at this point. Meanwhile, the core DC titles could have also been refreshed. Johns and Lee were going to work together on a new JL book that had to be adjusted to fit into the reboot, but they could have done that title in the core DCU. This would have been a big seller for DC at the time and the interest would have likely translated to other titles. Superman had some rough years before the New 52, but none of them were character-based. Editorial mismanagement and a lack of understanding of the character had already led to Birthright and Secret Origins. All Superman and WW needed at the time were dedicated writers willing to stay on and produce consistent runs.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't mind seeing DC use some of the elements of the New 52 for the rumored "Ultimate DC." I liked the majority of what Morrison did with Superman, but it only worked as an alternate continuity and should have been such from the start.
    Hah!

It’s still better than anything that went on in the early 2000s what with Superman kissing Luthor’s @$$.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

When has Superman EVER kissed Luthor's @$$ (well, prior to Johns' New Poopy-2 worship of Luthor on the League and wtf is happening with him being a superally in the book lately)

When has Superman EVER kissed Luthor's @$$ (well, prior to Johns' New Poopy-2 worship of Luthor on the League and wtf is happening with him being a superally in the book lately)
    You voted for Luthor so your argument is invalid.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

He is still alive in the multiverse though. Idk if we will ever see him again.