Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Soooooooooo, now that the whole planned plot outline for Justice League and Justice League 2 is known, do yhe New 52 Superman fans ....want that?
    I must have missed something. What is this referencing? Talk about digging a thread out of mothballs!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I must have missed something. What is this referencing? Talk about digging a thread out of mothballs!
    Sorry aboush! I was working to understand the the perspective of New 52 Superman fans and Superman/Wonder Woman shippers. I used Google search engine to deliver some narratives. This one had a lot of gushing for Zack Snyder Justice League and that prompted my question.

I thought it was a reference to what Gunn was planning to do. It's kind of irrelevant what Snyder would do now. I thought there was some sort of plan to bring back the New 52 in some form. Not sure what the SM/WW threads are still being made. I don't think they're bringing it back at this point.
    Assassinate Putin!

I suppose you are right. The DCEU is finallh officially dead. But I do think the publication/release of those boards for Zack's full JL trilogy or whatever would make for an interesting guage on fandom flexibility and fandom tastes.

I myself found it highly offensive to me as a Superman fan and feel the whole enterprise was that way (and no, having beat up the heroes and easily beat up the villain does not make up for it--though it did gift us when Elfman giving us a dark mirror of the Superman theme).

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I suppose you are right. The DCEU is finallh officially dead. But I do think the publication/release of those boards for Zack's full JL trilogy or whatever would make for an interesting guage on fandom flexibility and fandom tastes.

I myself found it highly offensive to me as a Superman fan and feel the whole enterprise was that way (and no, having beat up the heroes and easily beat up the villain does not make up for it--though it did gift us when Elfman giving us a dark mirror of the Superman theme).
    Welcome to the club.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I kind of stopped following the Snyderverse a long time ago. So I don't know what he planned to do. I didn't like his treatment of Superman either. I know people were making jokes about Lois having Batman's kid or something like that. I kind of made peace with the New 52 not coming back. Not okay with it but made peace with it.
    Assassinate Putin!

Sorry aboush! I was working to understand the the perspective of New 52 Superman fans and Superman/Wonder Woman shippers. I used Google search engine to deliver some narratives. This one had a lot of gushing for Zack Snyder Justice League and that prompted my question.
    Really...

I don't think I've met any Superman fan who was disappointed that they couldn't see Snyder's original vision on screen. I know of Snyderverse fans, but I don't know of one who thought the Pearl Harbor ending to the aborted cinematic Justice League sequels was a great idea.

I also don't think Snyder captured much of New 52 besides the visuals of the lack of trunks. I think you might be able to add that the US Government's trying to bring him into captivity, which would sort of mirror Morrison's arc, but that isn't entirely specific to New 52, either. Having (the real) Jonathan Kent die also isn't New 52-specific. I think I've read some fans cynically say the lack of optimistic tone of Man of Steel was inspired by New 52, but I generally feel that Snyder was going to go that way regardless of what was written in the comics. More importantly, one must keep in mind that MoS's story was mostly done by 2011 and before New 52 launched, so it's not like Snyder had all this material to base his story around. On the other hand, you could say New 52 was influenced by Man of Steel by bringing in Zod and Faora, but it's also not as though the comic writers based their Phantom Zone criminals on the movie's characterizations, either.

I don't exactly recall what the environment was like 11 years ago, but I feel like whether you called yourself a New 52, Post-Crisis, Pre-Crisis, etc. Superman fan, you probably were at least cautiously excited about Man of Steel. A lot of that excitement went out the window after seeing the movie, of course, but the important thing back then was that we'd be getting Superman on the big screen again and that enough was cause for (muted) celebration.

I'll say this much: I think around 2012-2013, maybe New 52 fans were generally more likely to be excited about MoS than Post-Crisis fans. Embracing New 52 involved being willing to accept shakeups to the status quo of the time, and so a creator who promised to take a less traditional take on Superman would likely get less resistance from a New 52 fan than a Post-Crisis fan who probably was annoyed about the changes DC was pushing during that era. But in the end, I don't think New 52 fans in general have any real love for Snyderverse lore; what exactly did it provide that N52 fans would've wanted to see?

Liked a lot of New 52 Superman and I'm more positive about the Snyderverse than the average poster here, but yeah, I don't see much of a connection there. There is very little in common asides of some superficial things like the lack of trunks.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    what exactly did it provide that N52 fans would've wanted to see?
    A Less talking superman..the idea that a hero ain't Some culture's idea of perfection.But,A guy doing what he thinks is right at the moment it's needed.More and real stakes.Zod kicked Clark's ass.Though the new animated series is doing a good job with that as well.I wasn't a fan until i watched the last episode where fighting his villain.On top of lois realising superman isn't some roses and sunshine idea getting a Kryptonite.them trying to say A superman on earth will be dangerous.but That might not be bad thing.You know the whole religious.

"You needn't be afraid of me.i won't harm you."
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    A Less talking superman..
    Insert 43 lines jokes...

Side note: It’s interesting to see how many people really did leave after they killed New 52 Superman. Reading this thread was… interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Liked a lot of New 52 Superman and I'm more positive about the Snyderverse than the average poster here, but yeah, I don't see much of a connection there. There is very little in common asides of some superficial things like the lack of trunks.
    Snyder actually made fun of t-shirt and jeans Superman:

“When they try to dress him up… put him in jeans and a t-shirt or a leather jacket with an S on it, I go, ‘What? Guys, it’s okay. It’s Superman. He’s the king daddy. You should all be bowing down to him.’
    While to be frank I doubt Zack has actually read many Superman comics based on his own words about not connecting with cape comics because there was no sex or killing, the Superman he, Goyer, and Terrio shaped was drawing on Earth One, Byrne MoS, Injustice, and Johns Secret Origin. Conscious decision or not, those are the comics which have similar takes, and I guess the “hope” bit from Birthright. But they didn’t take anything from the New 52, unless you want to stretch taking a similar approach to the costume via getting rid of the trunks.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I think the lack of trunks was more the standard rule at the time. I'm not sure that DC/Warners would necessarily have let him do them even if he wanted to. They were trying to establish the new look as official as much as possible. To answer the question posed in the "what would you want from an Ultimate Superman" thread, my answer would be the New 52 Superman. That's what he should have been all along. I think he would have worked perfectly for that. They could have experimented all they wanted without pissing off the old fanbase.
    Assassinate Putin!

Some people have argued for years that trunks should be removed, reboot (comics or movie) was simply a good opportunity to actually do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Side note: It’s interesting to see how many people really did leave after they killed New 52 Superman. Reading this thread was… interesting.
    Few months ago I looked at the old Azzarello's WW threads and had similar experience.

New 52 Superman seemed more Superboy than Superman to me. And the titles seemed to be all over the place. I like my heroes aspirational

New 52 Superman seemed more Superboy than Superman to me. And the titles seemed to be all over the place. I like my heroes aspirational
    Well, New 52 Superman's run did start out more or less as Superboy...

Yeah, the worst part of New 52 Superman had to be the lack of coordination between the Super editors and the writers. Morrison had free reign and was the driving force for much of New 52, which I thought was a good thing, but Morrison's ideas weren't communicated to the other Super writers (most notably George Perez, RIP) in a timely manner.

I think when it comes to Big Two comics, you always have to pick and choose what to follow, but things were particularly bad with New 52 Superman. The stuff I did enjoy was pretty good, though.