Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blaster86 View Post
    I'm starting to believe superman is a broken character.
    He is a badly managed character not a broken one

I'm voting with my wallet. I will follow until Super League and then I am done with DC when they Rebirth. I will support other media if they are good like movies and animation. I am not going to spend any money on old Superman. He had his time and DC could have given him another earth and own title. He and Lois had a book launched a few months ago and it sold poorly. DC know he isn't strong on his own to sell another book so what they do? Pull this stunt. If it is temporary...well in comics that can equal to years. Look at how long Hal Jordan was out the books. I have no time and patience for that. If DC has maybe interesting Elseworld graphic novel or minis maybe I'll buy it. But it has to be appealing to me. Gone are the days I will buy blindly.

I feel sorry for Superman. There seems to be no direction and this tendency to back pedal. Constantly talking Classic is a death knell for any character imo. Grant Morrison gave DC the perfect modern template for Superman, updating him while going back to his roots. And they are prepared to screw it up for some vanilla version they think by tossing him in a new suit will make him set the charts ablaze. Nothing will change. DC 's problem is they listen to people who want things to stagnate. They caught up trying to please those people instead of forging ahead and rejuvenating Superman. All the problems started with Convergence. The new 52 had legs and DC kicked it out from under themselves by not showing confidence in their bold move and not putting the right names on Superman or those unwilling to take the baton and move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by blaster86 View Post
    I'm starting to believe superman is a broken character.
    He's not broken. DC, as it is constituted now, are the ones who are broken when it comes to utilizing him.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    He's not broken. DC, as it is constituted now, are the ones who are broken when it comes to utilizing him.
    Just as an example look at the names on the Superman title since the new 52. All middling as hell Jurgens and Perez ( who in their right minds would put these men on a relaunch of a vibrant young Superman???)...or needing some tight managing like Lobdell...totally uninspired like Johns and messy like Yang. The character would be broken!

They wasted Morrison's Superman!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Just as an example look at the names on the Superman title since the new 52. All middling as hell Jurgens and Perez ( who in their right minds would put these men on a relaunch of a vibrant young Superman???)...or needing some tight managing like Lobdell...totally uninspired like Johns and messy like Yang. The character would be broken!

They wasted Morrison's Superman!
    Lobdell actually did a pretty decent job of advancing the ideas put forward by Morrison. A guy like Clark wouldnt be able to work for a modern newspaper - they just simply wouldnt be interested in running the sort of justice-oriented stories that would interest Clark Kent so he would have to go it alone to have any chance of writing those sorts of stories and the marriage of he and Cat Grant to do just that was a masterstroke. I know people like to whale on Lobdell because he's well, Lobdell, but it was Johns who ruined Morrison's concept, not Scotty and you would do well to remember that since this whole thing was apparently Johns' idea.

Well to try and inject some optimism here, here's my fan theory of where this is headed.

Rebirth Special's cover has all the DCU characters reaching toward a hand in the light, with only Superman being close to touching it. What happens here to put these characters in this position I haven't thought much of yet, but if this cover is in any way literal, I think Superman will be the only character to come into contact with this being. This being is Kal-L. After his death he became sort of a higher power, a celestial being. He's not omniscient, but he is generally aware of something wicked this way comes. He can't do anything from his position though. He needs to be on Earth. Superman offers that Kal reside in his body so he can return to Earth. Kal-L houses himself inside Kal-El, and blowback from being inhabited by a god-like being, it completely wipes out Kal's memories and his powers. To everyone else, it seems as if he dies. In reality he's sent back to Earth, left in some isolated locale as a man with absolutely no memory of anything, including the fact that he's the vessel of a god. This is where we leave him for about a year, as Kal-L is biding his time till the cosmic threat reveals itself, and Kal-El as a man with no name wanders.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Superman encouraging or allowing his son to go in that direction at such a young age is bad parenting to the point where people ought to be calling child protective services within that fictional world (I don't know what CPS person would be able to take on Superman, but you know what I'm saying...).
    Hey, Batman let his 10-year-old son put the Robin costume back on after the kid got killed in it. I know people say, "well, with his upbringing he's going to run around getting into trouble anyway" - but that, to me, just makes Bruce look like an ineffective adult and father, whose (bad) choices are dominated by his son basically threatening a temper tantrum ("You can't stop me! I'm gonna do it anyway!") Damien is running the show, and Bruce is just letting him.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by edwardsdv View Post
    Lobdell actually did a pretty decent job of advancing the ideas put forward by Morrison. A guy like Clark wouldnt be able to work for a modern newspaper - they just simply wouldnt be interested in running the sort of justice-oriented stories that would interest Clark Kent so he would have to go it alone to have any chance of writing those sorts of stories and the marriage of he and Cat Grant to do just that was a masterstroke. I know people like to whale on Lobdell because he's well, Lobdell, but it was Johns who ruined Morrison's concept, not Scotty and you would do well to remember that since this whole thing was apparently Johns' idea.
    Lobdell might have good ideas but his execution was lousy. He also wrote Clark like a jerk at times. So his contribution had flaws too. I don't think he writes well even if his ideas are progressive. That hurts the books too.

Spectacular Member

*shrug* I kind of like that his Superman wasn't quite the boy scout we're used to.

He needs better editors though for sure. Berganza doesn't reel him in at all and Lobdell needs a little bit of reeling. That said, I look at his era of the book with a lot of fondness, even if I know thats an unpopular opinion.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edwardsdv View Post
    *shrug* I kind of like that his Superman wasn't quite the boy scout we're used to.

He needs better editors though for sure. Berganza doesn't reel him in at all and Lobdell needs a little bit of reeling. That said, I look at his era of the book with a lot of fondness, even if I know thats an unpopular opinion.
    Does anyone thinknow that those at DC have any familiarity with Golden Age Superman, especially his first year. That guy was no Boy Scout back in 1938, beating guys down was regular, and this version killed people sometimes as well.

Spectacular Member

Like, one of the jerkier things superman does is have Diana show up at a house party that Lois is attending and the implication being he's showing off Diana because Lois spurned him. Just like "I am so glad you spurned me because look what it allowed me to do". I mean, that's good stuff right there, but its not exactly classic superman.

Spectacular Member Virile Agitur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Does anyone thinknow that those at DC have any familiarity with Golden Age Superman, especially his first year. That guy was no Boy Scout back in 1938, beating guys down was regular, and this version killed people sometimes as well.
    geoff johns has no concept of superman BD*

*before donner

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Totally. It's really annoying how much he's usually not like that, to be honest. I mostly fell in love with Morrison's Superman because it was like the Golden Age Superman having Silver or Bronze Age adventures- and they did waste him, they totally did! Pak was decent, and honestly, Lobdell was pretty damn good too for my money, he just needed a script editor or something. But Johns? Johns wrote Superman like he did pre-Flashpoint! What a joke!

For all the problems with Truth, I think it was basically a really weird, comparably poorly executed attempt to use Morrison's Superman like Morrison did. I appreciated it even when I didn't like it. And now, before Truth even got off the racks and into the bookstores (which to me indicates a truly astonishing lack of faith in the story, a story that I have confidence will read approximately twenty five hundred times better in retrospect and trade paperback than it did monthly, and that I think could absolutely have led Superman to new places now that it's over), they're giving Johns the keys to the kingdom again, and what does he do? Take away the youth and independence that I liked so much about the post-Flashpoint Superman, that reminded me of the Golden Age original Superman! At least the mindset behind Truth acknowledged the importance of those oft-neglected traits to the character!

I have no idea what I'm going to do for comics now.

Whoop de do.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Since I picked up my first comic book featuring Superman around 1977 or so, he's been through about three major incarnations in the comics (and within each of those incarnations, multiple interpretations by different crews of writers and artists), to say nothing of other media...so I'm going to stay the course and see what comes next.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Totally. It's really annoying how much he's usually not like that, to be honest. I mostly fell in love with Morrison's Superman because it was like the Golden Age Superman having Silver or Bronze Age adventures- and they did waste him, they totally did! Pak was decent, and honestly, Lobdell was pretty damn good too for my money, he just needed a script editor or something. But Johns? Johns wrote Superman like he did pre-Flashpoint! What a joke!

For all the problems with Truth, I think it was basically a really weird, comparably poorly executed attempt to use Morrison's Superman like Morrison did. I appreciated it even when I didn't like it. And now, before Truth even got off the racks and into the bookstores (which to me indicates a truly astonishing lack of faith in the story, a story that I have confidence will read approximately twenty five hundred times better in retrospect and trade paperback than it did monthly, and that I think could absolutely have led Superman to new places now that it's over), they're giving Johns the keys to the kingdom again, and what does he do? Take away the youth and independence that I liked so much about the post-Flashpoint Superman, that reminded me of the Golden Age original Superman! At least the mindset behind Truth acknowledged the importance of those oft-neglected traits to the character!

I have no idea what I'm going to do for comics now.

Whoop de do.
    Lobdell run even tho I hated it since he made sups sits in the sideways and let side ppl save the day
    And he used ppl as bait and left a dengaruse earth distroying weapon for his enemy's to find
    Lobdell really love to build up his storys interducing a really extream looking bad guys but they always end with a dissapointing to be contenue for the mediocre sequals
    And he never improved nor learned from his mistake
    but the semi anime freash art and the insane looking bad guys is what kept me going
    and for some reason I was entertaned by that run

Pak arcs were really cool I loved this benavolent ver of superman and the ulysses arc almost pushed him over the limit but the art were.....bah everyone looks like an a bunch of apes >_>

I am intreaged on what wacky advanture this new52 sups is going up against
    My advise is to enjoy this another waird ride
    it's a comic book and we know that everything always gose back to normal after a time peradox crap shift

spoilers:
    remambar superman red and blue
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by gtomanga; 03-31-2016 at 12:26 AM.