Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blaster86 View Post
    I'm starting to believe superman is a broken character.
    I refuse to believe that.

Johns has written some pretty entertaining, and in some cases amazing Superman stories. The problem is either DC or himself can't commit to the character longer than a story arc at a time.

Morrison had two wonderful, critically-acclaimed, well-selling runs with Superman. Had DC (and to be fair, us fans) not been stringent about a monthly deadline, he MIGHT be writing Superman right now.

Writers like Mark Waid and Mark Millar, two very talented writers who are Superman enthusiasts, aren't allowed to touch Superman with a 10-foot pole.

There are ways to fix Superman that wouldn't require a lot of work on DC's part. In fact, I would argue they're working much harder to keep Superman in check than by allowing a writer to come in and really go crazy with the character while staying true to the mythos.
    Last edited by kingaliencracker; 03-31-2016 at 12:23 AM.

New 52 is my favorite Superman and generally my favorite superhero. Yeah, a lot of people didn't like H'el on Earth or Krypton Returns. But I loved those stories, I loved this Superman. Superman: Unchained by Scott Snyder is a amazing story. I liked how he pushed some of Superman's powers forward. Like gamma vision? Really? Badass. I even loved the costume, turtleneck and all. Don't get me wrong. I like the new one Clark White is in, but he just isn't my Superman.

Superman with Wonder Woman was so fresh and different. I loved just being able to see them together. Lois and Clark, I liked it as a kid. But growing up, I never found it too interesting. Then again, I never really liked Lois much. But I loved Wonder Woman, and her being with Superman just made sense (to me at least). I'm going to miss this Clark. And though he may revert to a side character to soon be forgotten, like Pandora, he will always be my favorite hero.

All in all. I never really found much interest in DC Comics until the New 52. And them replacing Superman with the previous carnation, like many have said already, is one big step back. I had hopped this could be like the first Crisis or shift to the Silver Age. PF Superman had his time. This Superman could've evolved into a classic, a icon, the one people could see as the "true" Superman. But this, I just can't support this. I liked Geoff Johns on Justice League, I loved what he did with Aquaman, I even had interest for his Superman (before I read it). But I can't back everything he does. I'll probably just stay with New 52 Superman until death. Though he may be on his "death" bed. I'll see him through to the end. I hope the older fans are happy. Their Superman is back, they no longer have to read about mine. They can have their comic stories back. Where they complain about my Superman, I hope they find much better in theirs. I won't be picking up anymore DC Comics after Rebirth it seems, besides Deathstroke. Even then I'm a little skeptical. I'll buy all the New 52 Superman stuff they put out, and I'm thankful for the animated movies. At least those haven't changed... yet.

I would also like to thank all of you guys. You're a great community. Probably one of the best. Spending the time to read each and everyone of your post. It pleases me to see that N52 Superman has such great fans, and DC in general. Power to you guys that continue on with DC after Rebirth. I just can't see myself doing the same. Now I know how the PF Superman fans feel. Except we only had a five year run, at least the movies are still on our side. I loved seeing Superman in Justice League vs Teen Titans.

*Spoiler* Seeing him with Diana, though for a second. Made me smile. It also pains me that the comics may never work back to that development.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blaster86 View Post
    I'm starting to believe superman is a broken character.
    No fictional character is broken, it's called his handlers at DC don't care and don't try enough. Anything with a fictional character is possible, the writer needs to put their mind to it.

Spectacular Member

I started reading Superman on a regular basis with Action Comics "Truth" because I like Pak as a writer. Him being gone makes me less interested in the title but I have been following Lois and Clark, I wasn't a Superman or even DC comics reader before Flashpoint and like I said I didn't really follow him afterward until Truth but I'm really enjoying Lois and Clark and will probably give Jurgens on Action a few issues before I decide to drop it or stay the course. I know people are upset about Nu52 Supes going away and SuperDad taking his place but it's comics, no one is ever dead forever or gone forever so why not just enjoy the story they're printing and see where it goes? That's my plan.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    No fictional character is broken, it's called his handlers at DC don't care and don't try enough. Anything with a fictional character is possible, the writer needs to put their mind to it.
    Exactly.

I mean, a few years ago if someone had told me that Gwen Stacy would be a major character, or that Hawkgirl would be the focus of an ensemble tv show, I wouldnt have believed it.

That said, I think if we're being honest with ourselves, there are some chinks in Superman's armor. As Myskin will point out to anyone who listens (love ya dude!) the secret identity is a hard thing to sell, the Planet hasn't reflected the actual news media since the 80's, and the costume is stuck between a rock called "out dated" and a hard place called "iconic". And these are not easy things to rectify without taking a real hard look at the mythos, and DC clearly finds it easier to ignore these things and chase short-term shock value changes than to invest in quality world building that can actually smooth these things out. Most of us fans accept these things without so much as a glance, but they do provide hurdles for new readers who do not possess our preference for the character already.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by lorddominicus85 View Post
    I started reading Superman on a regular basis with Action Comics "Truth" because I like Pak as a writer. Him being gone makes me less interested in the title but I have been following Lois and Clark, I wasn't a Superman or even DC comics reader before Flashpoint and like I said I didn't really follow him afterward until Truth but I'm really enjoying Lois and Clark and will probably give Jurgens on Action a few issues before I decide to drop it or stay the course. I know people are upset about Nu52 Supes going away and SuperDad taking his place but it's comics, no one is ever dead forever or gone forever so why not just enjoy the story they're printing and see where it goes? That's my plan.
    If you're enjoying Lois and Clark and that version of Superman then chances are you will be happy to give Superdad your money. I know some fans, including me, are not enamored of his holier than thou, hypocritical behaviour. Lots of things he does in his book that is not very Superman-like for a guy who should be older, wiser and open minded yet his writer Jurgens trying to take jabs at our Superman while justifying Superdad.

His whole reasons coming into the new 52 and taking over the younger character's place who depending how people feel... good, bad, indifferent...he walked the walk this five years. It is his world and his relationships and his history that guy is usurping. He hasn't even been given a chance and they teasing that his time is done. Superdad has his time. Super Dad got time to grow and learn and make his mistakes ( an boy there was many) fall in love and marry and have a kid etc. If they want to show Superman playing father give him another book on another earth. His own earth preferably.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Since I picked up my first comic book featuring Superman around 1977 or so, he's been through about three major incarnations in the comics (and within each of those incarnations, multiple interpretations by different crews of writers and artists), to say nothing of other media...so I'm going to stay the course and see what comes next.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Best response

Incredible Member

Superman's not broken.... But I think the fanbase irreparably is. Too many reboots and restarts, too many Kryptons exploding. Here's an idea.... Next reboot (and there will be one) do a cold reboot. No new #1 no origin story. Superman is an established hero from the get go, work in the changes over the course of world building/storytelling, instead of working from the outside in like always. Frankly some of us fans should just leave reading the title completely to give a new fanbase space to grow.
    Last edited by beetee; 03-31-2016 at 08:40 AM.

Scarlett71177

Like many of you, I plan on voting with my wallet, but I'm also a firm believer in a more direct communication. I'm urging friends to write directly to DC- not the artists and writers, but the corporation itself and make your voice known. If you aren't a fan of the tie-in to the movie verse, if you don't like the planned relationships, if you don't like the options of books to read, TELL them. Tell them why you are no longer financially supporting them. Contact DC directly here:

http://www.dcentertainment.com/#contact

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett71177 View Post
    Like many of you, I plan on voting with my wallet, but I'm also a firm believer in a more direct communication. I'm urging friends to write directly to DC- not the artists and writers, but the corporation itself and make your voice known. If you aren't a fan of the tie-in to the movie verse, if you don't like the planned relationships, if you don't like the options of books to read, TELL them. Tell them why you are no longer financially supporting them. Contact DC directly here:

Sent an email letting them know how excited I am for the new books, and how happy I am to have the Lois, Clark, and Jon family dynamic. I expressed interest in all the Super family books, and hope that this will be what rights the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett71177 View Post

Thanks. I will but am sure end of the day what will matter is the sales of the books. They are giving their meat and potatoes people what they said they want...so they listened to them...we get to see if that translates now into the sales for the next year or two. #1s always sell. It is the following months that will matter when the drop off happens. Superman line would imo need to stay above 60/50 K for a good while to be considered a success. And that is me going easy because Batman books top that easily. If books drop below 40...then they have no reason to keep this older Superman long term because new 52 Superman was doing that. It was the crossovers and re-writes and unispired writers on him that didn't help. All they would have done was undermine their own progress with the new 52 for no good reason when all it would have taken was putting good talent on him.
    Last edited by hellacre; 03-31-2016 at 11:00 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedvFury View Post
    New 52 is my favorite Superman and generally my favorite superhero. Yeah, a lot of people didn't like H'el on Earth or Krypton Returns. But I loved those stories, I loved this Superman. Superman: Unchained by Scott Snyder is a amazing story. I liked how he pushed some of Superman's powers forward. Like gamma vision? Really? Badass. I even loved the costume, turtleneck and all. Don't get me wrong. I like the new one Clark White is in, but he just isn't my Superman.

Superman with Wonder Woman was so fresh and different. I loved just being able to see them together. Lois and Clark, I liked it as a kid. But growing up, I never found it too interesting. Then again, I never really liked Lois much. But I loved Wonder Woman, and her being with Superman just made sense (to me at least). I'm going to miss this Clark. And though he may revert to a side character to soon be forgotten, like Pandora, he will always be my favorite hero.

All in all. I never really found much interest in DC Comics until the New 52. And them replacing Superman with the previous carnation, like many have said already, is one big step back. I had hopped this could be like the first Crisis or shift to the Silver Age. PF Superman had his time. This Superman could've evolved into a classic, a icon, the one people could see as the "true" Superman. But this, I just can't support this. I liked Geoff Johns on Justice League, I loved what he did with Aquaman, I even had interest for his Superman (before I read it). But I can't back everything he does. I'll probably just stay with New 52 Superman until death. Though he may be on his "death" bed. I'll see him through to the end. I hope the older fans are happy. Their Superman is back, they no longer have to read about mine. They can have their comic stories back. Where they complain about my Superman, I hope they find much better in theirs. I won't be picking up anymore DC Comics after Rebirth it seems, besides Deathstroke. Even then I'm a little skeptical. I'll buy all the New 52 Superman stuff they put out, and I'm thankful for the animated movies. At least those haven't changed... yet.

I would also like to thank all of you guys. You're a great community. Probably one of the best. Spending the time to read each and everyone of your post. It pleases me to see that N52 Superman has such great fans, and DC in general. Power to you guys that continue on with DC after Rebirth. I just can't see myself doing the same. Now I know how the PF Superman fans feel. Except we only had a five year run, at least the movies are still on our side. I loved seeing Superman in Justice League vs Teen Titans.

*Spoiler* Seeing him with Diana, though for a second. Made me smile. It also pains me that the comics may never work back to that development.
    I feel the same exact way in a lot of respects. Superman didn't become my favorite hero until the New 52 and this new Superdad is a definite step back but I would be lying to myself if I said Superman didnt appeal to me still. SO I go from buying tons and tons of superbooks to having a more diverse lineup for a change. Its not the end of the world. Superson is also adorable and all the fanart of him and Damian warms my heart.

Incredible Member

I just can't get behind this. I think this is DC's fault in how they try to wring these changes by excluding one subset of fans from another. To me it's SUPERMAN no matter which version is present. I will continue to read. The only thing that may drive me away is if he becomes "Meanderthal Man" again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Sent an email letting them know how excited I am for the new books, and how happy I am to have the Lois, Clark, and Jon family dynamic. I expressed interest in all the Super family books, and hope that this will be what rights the ship.
    me too. not more dark superman

that seems alright to me, WW is a feminist icon not superman girlfriend.
    Last edited by Tayswift; 03-31-2016 at 12:23 PM.

This is a tough situation. I'm a big Supes fan, but really only started reading the comics with New52. I've read many of the "recommended" stories as well, but I prefer the newer take on the character. He's not perfect, but tries hard to do the right thing.

This change disappoints me, even though "Truth" wasn't my favorite. I like the younger more inexperienced version because he screws up sometimes, but you know his heart is in the right place. Honestly, I wish they could find a way to have both versions, because I think they could have some interesting stories with Superdad.

I just would prefer they come from Earth 2, so New52 Supes could still have a place. I'll continue to read the books either way, because I enjoy the character in almost all forms. But I hope they find a way to keep New52 Supes around.