Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    I don't think we New 52 fans might be missing out that much.

http://www.newsarama.com/28639-actio...-superman.html

Yep. Doomsday. Now I thought our younger Superman dealt with this already in Doomed and even Jurgens own precious one several times in his own world...didn't know meat and potatoes fans wanted it again. Buy hey lather , rinse, repeat...it seems. He should be glad Geoff Johns sending SuperLex his way. Someting different in amid the retro-ness.

Yep, I think DC making it easy for the new 52 fans to not feel they missing out if this is the way things starting off.
    Definitely sounds like a retread of post-Crisis stories, just like the L&C title. Read those once before, don't need to relive it. I got my back issues when I feel like nostalgia. Still quite content to stay away until the proper Superman comes back. If New 52 Kal-El is the Clark Kent in this title, that gives me a sigh of relief knowing he's not dead. Its still not even close enough to get me to pay a red cent for the story, but I'll wait this out if the feeling is gotten that this is temporary.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by edwardsdv View Post
    Anything by those writers would sell.

DC's problem is putting A writers on D characters instead onto B characters where there is headway to be made. If a Lois book written by like, Jeff Parker or Ann Nocenti wouldn't sell 30K then its not worth doing period, really.
    So its a no from you on Deathstroke, Superman American Alien, Batgirl, Teen Titans, Aquaman, Titans, Red Hood, Green Arrow, the secondary Green Lantern book, Cyborg, no doubt Blue Beetle to name some books with sub 30k sales they foolishly are relaunching

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    So its a no from you on Deathstroke, Superman American Alien, Batgirl, Teen Titans, Aquaman, Titans, Red Hood, Green Arrow, the secondary Green Lantern book, Cyborg, no doubt Blue Beetle to name some books with sub 30k sales they foolishly are relaunching
    Frankly, no those books aren't worth doing and I even like a number of them. But they exist for reasons other than sales (a good number of them exist just for the sake of line diversity or because they know theyll move a decent number of trades or just because Scott Lobdell is Scott Lobdell.

Like does anyone here really believe that by next June we'll still have a Blue Beetle ongoing and two Teen Titans books?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Definitely sounds like a retread of post-Crisis stories, just like the L&C title. Read those once before, don't need to relive it. I got my back issues when I feel like nostalgia. Still quite content to stay away until the proper Superman comes back. If New 52 Kal-El is the Clark Kent in this title, that gives me a sigh of relief knowing he's not dead. Its still not even close enough to get me to pay a red cent for the story, but I'll wait this out if the feeling is gotten that this is temporary.
    Jurgens said it's not what pple think in another interview...so the obvious assuming it is our old Clark...maybe not. I'm not buying blindly. Not any book with such a lame premise ie Doomsday let loose.

The "new" "mysterious" Clark Kent is probably just Clark White taking the MIA for a year Clark Kent's place I bet.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by dangleo61288 View Post
    Well the Superman and Lois relationship is part of the mythology.
    Yes it is. Doesn't mean it has to repeat itself ad nauseum. They brought back the PF Superman & Lois. Clois fans should be happy. Let fans of the new52 Superman and Wonder Woman be happy, too. They didn't even care to explore the relationship after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Will J. View Post
    Yes, there is, and a lot of it is, in my opinion, better than what's coming, regardless of fan fiction's mixed reputation,

Toni Morrison said, "If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." And that's exactly what I'm doing.
    Same here. Keep me posted, so I can read it.

Quote Originally Posted by blaster86 View Post
    I'm starting to believe superman is a broken character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    DC certainly treats him like one.
    They don't know what to do with him. They don't know how to "humanize" him, aside from depowering him (which is so damn annoying). Why not see him as an immortal god who happens to have the same problems we do? Rent, relationships, feelings, etc. That is all.

Well to try and inject some optimism here, here's my fan theory of where this is headed.

Rebirth Special's cover has all the DCU characters reaching toward a hand in the light, with only Superman being close to touching it. What happens here to put these characters in this position I haven't thought much of yet, but if this cover is in any way literal, I think Superman will be the only character to come into contact with this being. This being is Kal-L. After his death he became sort of a higher power, a celestial being. He's not omniscient, but he is generally aware of something wicked this way comes. He can't do anything from his position though. He needs to be on Earth. Superman offers that Kal reside in his body so he can return to Earth. Kal-L houses himself inside Kal-El, and blowback from being inhabited by a god-like being, it completely wipes out Kal's memories and his powers. To everyone else, it seems as if he dies. In reality he's sent back to Earth, left in some isolated locale as a man with absolutely no memory of anything, including the fact that he's the vessel of a god. This is where we leave him for about a year, as Kal-L is biding his time till the cosmic threat reveals itself, and Kal-El as a man with no name wanders.
    Interesting. A god that is the vessel of another god. Hmmm... I had already said that I'd check that special out.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardsdv View Post
    *shrug* I kind of like that his Superman wasn't quite the boy scout we're used to.

He needs better editors though for sure. Berganza doesn't reel him in at all and Lobdell needs a little bit of reeling. That said, I look at his era of the book with a lot of fondness, even if I know thats an unpopular opinion.
    They should make me the goddamned editor of the Superman books. There are a few basic guidelines I'd give to the writers, and then let them do their thing.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    They don't know what to do with him. They don't know how to "humanize" him, aside from depowering him (which is so damn annoying). Why not see him as an immortal god who happens to have the same problems we do? Rent, relationships, feelings, etc. That is all.
    What they need to do with Superman is write a "lost years" or "lost tales" series about Superman. That way, you have things written about Superman that revisit back when he had weaker powers during the Grant Morrison run. I know it is borrowing from the Marvel characters Spider-Man and the X-Men, but it is a good idea to show a weak Superman without it being redundant in continuity, just write a series (mini or ongoing) that is set in the earlier years within the DCNU.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    They should make me the goddamned editor of the Superman books. There are a few basic guidelines I'd give to the writers, and then let them do their thing.

Can I be your sidekick in writing? I mean, I would have to lose my day job, but whatever if that gets better stories for future posterity, it's a good idea.

Fantastic Member

I can't speak for anyone else nor will I urge anyone to do what I do, this is just me, but I've effective immediately dropped everything Superman related. Giving myself the option to try Supergirl though. I'll keep my ear to the ground in the event some semblance of sense reaches someone and Superman is brought back somehow or somewhere. But I'll use the internet to keep tabs on that. If Superdad's in it, I'm not buying it. I'm resigned to just be without a Superman outlet for some time. As far as fandom goes I'm pretty well back on the Star Wars bandwagon like I was as a kid (coincidentally as a kid I was all about Star Wars and Superman). That should keep me entertained enough.
    But Superman has been brought back...The version that existed prior to Flash Point and who had a great run from 1986 until the whole New 52 thing started up...I for one love this particular iteration of the character. And as much as I do love him, I'm about one hundred percent sure that your fave version of Supes is out of the book only temporarily. It's a storyline designed to take readers on a journey and at the end of it I'm positive your version will be the one and only. And I'm fine with that as long as the pre-Flash Point version stays around in some form or another. In the meantime, why not give the book a chance and try and enjoy the ride before summarily dismissing work you've not yet seen?

Because I've been on this ride before, basically. I had this Superman for the fourteen years that he was good ('86 to '99). I just don't have much of a desire to go through the same ride again, especially when he's not the proper Superman of the world the current continuity takes place in. That's a really big deal for me, personally. Alternate characters in general suck the immersion out of a story for me like no other. In small doses and with certain characters it can work (for example, Power Girl), but a character like Superman is a no go for me. Its equally puzzling to me why you do this when you have a multiverse to explore. I mean you send this pre-FP family back to their home and do adventures there and I might be inclined to read it. Going with an either or approach strikes me as crazy. But again, maybe you're right and there's a bigger plan here involving the New 52 Superman. I've just been let down with DC so much lately though, that I'm going to have to see proof of this coming to fruition before I come back.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-01-2016 at 03:50 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Because I've been on this ride before, basically. I had this Superman for the fourteen years that he was good ('86 to '99). I just don't have much of a desire to go through the same ride again, especially when he's not the proper Superman of the world the current continuity takes place in. That's a really big deal for me, personally.
    The way they do things, they could some how do, for lack of a decent word I turn to Doctor Who, timey whimy things, to the timeline so that the world is changed and things you think you read didn't really happen the way you think they did. I know its a cop out but they claimed in 2011 upto the launch month this wasn't a reboot then too and then the horror (for me) came. So who knows how drastic the changes are going to be. They claim its the same earth but it wouldn't surprise me to find out its not or its radically different. After all they have to explain the costume changes, the returning characters... I think they're claiming it was never a reboot was just a way to avoid the pr hit of a reboot.

Of course I suppose they could just not explain it since time doesn't seem to important to them. After all Superman's hair grew back in like 5 minutes when he got his power back didn't it? The solicits and pictures of it I saw online at least seemed to show that.