Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Wildstorm Rebirth?

I realize this is a long shot, but I was really hoping for some sign that the Wildstorm characters would be spun back into their own universe by now (either from Convergence or Rebirth), but so far no indication that it will happen.

A group of Wildstorm titles would fare better on their own than as part of the DC Universe. Stormwatch, Wildcats, Grifter, Midnighter (& Apollo), Deathblow, Gen13 would make a good line.

I don't recall hearing or seeing any Wildstorm characters during the Rebirth announcement, not even Midnighter, so perhaps there's something to the idea of a "Wildstorm Rebirth" afterall.

Thoughts?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    I realize this is a long shot, but I was really hoping for some sign that the Wildstorm characters would be spun back into their own universe by now (either from Convergence or Rebirth), but so far no indication that it will happen.

A group of Wildstorm titles would fare better on their own than as part of the DC Universe. Stormwatch, Wildcats, Grifter, Midnighter (& Apollo), Deathblow, Gen13 would make a good line.

I don't recall hearing or seeing any Wildstorm characters during the Rebirth announcement, not even Midnighter, so perhaps there's something to the idea of a "Wildstorm Rebirth" afterall.

Thoughts?
    it is a long shot. but if it happens i'll be right there with you.

i'd also include wetworks.

BANNED

I also include in the list The Authority and Planetary but whether the DC Comics would be willing to create a "Earth Wildstorm" to accommodate the Wildstorm characters as it did with the characters of the line Milestone Dakota.

I want to say that I heard Midnighter will be involved in Nightwing, somehow.

I dont think DC is going to let these guys go. Given how poorly WildStorm was doing before they were folded into the DCU, Im not sure if DC would see any financial reason to put them on their own earth. Best we're likely to get is seeing them slowly re-introduced in other titles after Rebirth.

I agree, they'd likely be better served on their own considering how badly DC messed up the WS integration. But I do think there's room for the WS crew in the DCU if it were handled right. A lot of those guys would fit into the world of Checkmate, Spyral, Taskforce X, and Amanda Waller, and the Authority could provide an interesting "third opinion" between the traditional heroes and villains.

I think it *could* be done well, with the right creators. But odds are WS would be better off on its own again. I just dont see it happening.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

After Rebirth. Anything in the Wildstorm continuity is possible. I'd even and only pick up Nightwing, or any of the Batbooks for that matter, just to see a Midnighter cameo at least. Other than that I won't be following them.

I really hope Jim Lee hasn't forgotten about the WildCats. I still want to see them return. At least feature some of their characters in the JL/JLA. (Give them a movie maybe? That'll boost interest. Be their Guardians of the Galaxy.)

A good idea, I've read many times before, is a Wildstorm "Earth 2" centric type of book. A book that features a WildStorm universe with all things WildStorm in it in a single book. Even with that I'd be happy.

I heard Midnighter was confirmed for Nightwing in an interview.

Other than that I'm not really sure why having them in their own universe would make them sell better. If anything I think it would make them sell worse.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Amazing Member

Thanks for the heads up on Midnighter in NIGHTWING. So much for that thought.

If you track the sales of the Wildstorm-related titles in the DCU, they can't do much worse.

They are easily dismissable in the DCU because everyone knows/feels that they play no real part in it. Back in their own universe, they'd rule the roost and it would be a smaller, complete line of titles that some may find appealing.

And, yes, totally add Wetworks to the line up. Would be awesome to have Whilce Portacio back on it, as well.

I'll be the first to admit that my WS knowledge is relatively thin, but I think many, if perhaps not all, of the concepts and characters would fit into the DCU. Sure, the New52 did a piss poor job of the integration but that doesnt mean it *cant* be done either.

If I had my own personal way then I'd like to see a few titles (hell even just one would be enough for me) set in a DC-free WildStorm earth. But I dont know how well it would sell today. Maybe as a digital first series?

I think the best option, as far as the market goes, is to fold them into the DCU properly. Set up the Authority and similar characters as a third POV on the hero-vs-villain dynamic, which could stand to have some gray area to it, have a few WS characters in the League and Titans, a few DC characters in the Authority and StormWatch (even Gen13, though adding DC characters there seems wrong to me). I mean, who couldnt see Hawkman as a member of the Authority, or Jack Hawksmoor in the League?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

There are a ton of characters that could fit in really well in the DCU. The Authority is not one of them though.

Why DC didn't use people like Jackson King or Henry Bendix as heads of one of the big government groups like Checkmate still baffles me. They could have used all the Team 7 guys like John Lynch, Marc Slayton (Backlash), Jackson Dane, and Micheal Cray as being active in secret in the 80's and 90's before the rise of Superman and other costume adventures. Characters from the original Stormwatch like Diva, Winter, Fuji, Hellstrike, Flint, Cannon, Fahrenheit, and Nautica would work great in the DCU.

DC just totally screwed up when they tried to merge the two universe. The best thing they could do now would be to do a series like Earth 2 with the Wildstorm characters on their own Earth again started from scratch. Earth W if you will. Keep the Authority characters out of it and set them up as a team that monitors the multiverse and very rarely takes direct action.

Incredible Member

I just want back proper Planetary and Authority books again, and they simply work far better on the Earth they were made for than in a normal DC universe. Tranquility was also fun, and the Authoriteens far too short-lived, but the rest in all their 90s Image glory I frankly never cared for as more than a backdrop for the aforementioned concepts, although I am aware that there have been some more good runs, specifically Alan Moore's, which I never got around to reading, but either way, none of the Wildstorm characters are served any favors by having to compete directly with DC's mainstays on the latter's home world.
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Wildstorm characters have a lot of potential. DC just needs to use them in interesting ways and then re-use them.

Incredible Member

I'm thinking Midnighter and Authority will be part of the Vertigo line.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel/DC Fan View Post
    I'm thinking Midnighter and Authority will be part of the Vertigo line.
    Midnighter is finding his legs in the DCU. I doubt he will be going to Vertigo.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Midnighter is finding his legs in the DCU. I doubt he will be going to Vertigo.
    He still could be part of the DCU as well. The speculation I read was that Vertigo was returning to the darker side of the DCU like they did in the past like with Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, Hellblazer, and Sandman. I think a Vertigo Authority book where they could take a more mature bent would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel/DC Fan View Post
    He still could be part of the DCU as well. The speculation I read was that Vertigo was returning to the darker side of the DCU like they did in the past like with Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, Hellblazer, and Sandman. I think a Vertigo Authority book where they could take a more mature bent would be great.
    It would be interesting to see darker character being allowed to be dark while still within the DCU.