Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Wildstorm characters have a lot of potential. DC just needs to use them in interesting ways and then re-use them.
    True if DC would use some Wildstorm characters in Nightwing & Titans in a similar way Grayson didwith this I hope this will lead to spin off of Stormwatch & Wild C.A.T.S. with any luck.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

I was always under the impression that Planetary was at least partially owned by Warren Ellis at the least. Am I wrong?

BANNED

DC are mysteriously silent on Wildstorm. I even went as far as tweeting Geoff Johns directly to ask if he could give us a hint. He didn't. The cynic in me says that means, at least at the moment they are just not doing anything with them at all. Pity the potential is huge as a coupe of others have already said.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Icefalcon View Post
    DC are mysteriously silent on Wildstorm. I even went as far as tweeting Geoff Johns directly to ask if he could give us a hint. He didn't. The cynic in me says that means, at least at the moment they are just not doing anything with them at all. Pity the potential is huge as a coupe of others have already said.
    When Booth posted his WS sketch, someone asked if that would mean WS coming back. Brett simply replied, "maybe". I'm a member of Twitter but I don't really know how to use it. Can you or someone ask Brett if Backlash is coming back soon? I tried to tweet, but I don't know if it went through.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Love to see Wildstorm characters involved in the DCU especially wi the Titans,Nightwing,and the JSA (hopefully).
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Incredible Member

I have said it again and again and I will keep saying it: Give them a Earth, and keep them there.
    They don't fit the tone of the DCU.
    Fusing Wildstorm was probably a dumb idea by Jim Lee or something.

While I'd be thrilled if Earth 50 was restored to its original role as “Earth-Wildstorm”, DC seems to be digging in its heels on the “they're now part of Prime Earth” thing. IMHO, you can do both — there are, after all, versions of DC's Golden Age heroes both on Prime Earth and on Earth 2 — so I'm going to continue to advocate for a restoration of Earth-50.

That said, I'd like to discuss further the question of how to go about integrating Wildstorm into the DCU. In particular, there's the matter of the Kherubim and the Daemonites: in the Wildstorm universe, the overall cosmology was one where members from these two races got stranded on Earth thousands of years ago and were responsible for humanity's stories of angels, demons, gods, and monsters. Put another way, Wildstorm didn't have actual supernatural forces in it, just superpowered ancient aliens that resembled supernatural forces.

The DCU, OTOH, has actual supernatural forces in it. This can create some awkward situations: for instance, Zealot's backstory involves her establishing a force of Coda (warrior women) in ancient Greece, remarkably similar to the Amazons — which is fine on Earth 50, where there aren't any actual Amazons. But on Prime Earth, you have actual Amazons. So: is Prime Earth's Zealot still a Kherub who's stranded on Earth? Or is she an Amazon, and one of Wonder Woman's sisters?
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    I have said it again and again and I will keep saying it: Give them a Earth, and keep them there.
    They don't fit the tone of the DCU.
    Fusing Wildstorm was probably a dumb idea by Jim Lee or something.
    Can you explain (for us not familiar with Wildstorm) the difference in tone? FWIW I liked Grifter in Future's End and I liked the Voodoo solo series. Helspont is a good villain, not sure why he couldn't be in the DCU.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Wildstorm characters fit perfectly well within the DCU. The problem is that DC does not push them they way they should.

Mighty Member

From the Justice League panel

DC will explore the WildStorm characters in the Apollo & Midnighter series, and more WIldStorm characters may appear later.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Wildstorm characters fit perfectly well within the DCU. The problem is that DC does not push them they way they should.
    The whole point of DC buying out Wildstorm was to get an exclusive on Jim Lee.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by golgi View Post
    From the Justice League panel
    DC will explore the WildStorm characters in the Apollo & Midnighter series, and more WIldStorm characters may appear later.
    One book. Is that all we're getting? And with the majority of the characters relegated to guest spots and maybe supporting cast. Disappointing

I heard that there is going to be a Wildstorm announcement soon?

For the windstorm fans, what's the differences between Gen 13 and Teen Titans? I know that Stormwatch and WildCATS is more science and affiliated with the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel/DC Fan View Post
    He still could be part of the DCU as well. The speculation I read was that Vertigo was returning to the darker side of the DCU like they did in the past like with Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, Hellblazer, and Sandman. I think a Vertigo Authority book where they could take a more mature bent would be great.
    I'd be down for that, in almost any form. Though personally I'd like to see some of the books focus on small ball problems and utilize at least a few characters who you wouldn't immediately think of for a "darker" line. Let's see Clark Kent investigate a human trafficking ring out of Metropolis Harbor or something. Keep Superman noble and in-character, but drop him into a more mature (mature, not juvenile sex and gore) situation and see how he handles the clash of tone. Or maybe a new Gotham Central book, or a title focusing on a villain or something. On top of the out-of-continuity stuff that has made Vertigo so amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    While I'd be thrilled if Earth 50 was restored to its original role as “Earth-Wildstorm”, DC seems to be digging in its heels on the “they're now part of Prime Earth” thing. IMHO, you can do both — there are, after all, versions of DC's Golden Age heroes both on Prime Earth and on Earth 2 — so I'm going to continue to advocate for a restoration of Earth-50.

That said, I'd like to discuss further the question of how to go about integrating Wildstorm into the DCU. In particular, there's the matter of the Kherubim and the Daemonites: in the Wildstorm universe, the overall cosmology was one where members from these two races got stranded on Earth thousands of years ago and were responsible for humanity's stories of angels, demons, gods, and monsters. Put another way, Wildstorm didn't have actual supernatural forces in it, just superpowered ancient aliens that resembled supernatural forces.

The DCU, OTOH, has actual supernatural forces in it. This can create some awkward situations: for instance, Zealot's backstory involves her establishing a force of Coda (warrior women) in ancient Greece, remarkably similar to the Amazons — which is fine on Earth 50, where there aren't any actual Amazons. But on Prime Earth, you have actual Amazons. So: is Prime Earth's Zealot still a Kherub who's stranded on Earth? Or is she an Amazon, and one of Wonder Woman's sisters?
    I think this is the root of the issue with folding them into the DCU. There's so much overlap, which is to be expected when you consider that the older WS guys were often ripping off a bigger name. Obviously the merger can work, just ask Midnighter, but you gotta smooth those wrinkles out and find a new twist for WS that doesnt ruin what makes them work, but gives them a proper place within the DCU.

As for Zealot specifically, I think the answer might be easier than it seems. Keep the "warrior women in the ancient world" concept, but establish them as a small monastery, or tribe, or whatever, largely removed from the world. So while Hippolyta was ruling the Amazons, fighting Hercules, and moving her nation to a hidden island after cutting a deal with the gods, the Coda were in the mountains (or something) somewhere (doesnt even have to be near Greece, really), keeping to themselves and rarely dealing with outsiders.

The Kherbim could easily be related to Kryptonians in the same way Daxamites are, and I have a theory that originally in the New52 DC planned to reveal that there were no "martians" and J'onn was a Daemonite deserter who went native. Not sure how I'd feel about that if they ever did it; it kills the main themes of J'onn's character....but at the same time J'onn's importance and relevance are dropping so maybe its the kind of shakeup he needs, and it would tie the Daemonites into the DCU, give J'onn a purpose, and sidestep a lot of issues his origin creates as we learn more about Mars and its history.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    There are a ton of characters that could fit in really well in the DCU. The Authority is not one of them though.
    They would certainly alter the landscape, and integrating them would be difficult, but I think it would just be expanding on what is already there.

DC is sprinkled with characters who fit the Authority's MO; the Suicide Squad (insofar as anti-hero justice goes), Black Adam, Jason Todd.....Authority-esque characters are already there, they're just a huge minority. Bringing in the Authority would create a paradigm shift in the DCU, as the power balance would suddenly become a tripod instead of a binary thing.....but I dont see that as necessarily being a bad thing either.

Might be remembering this wrong, and if so someone correct me, but didnt a lot of early Authority stories actually explore this very concept, where the heroes who were either more "traditional" or sponsored by government agencies, and the world's villains, had to figure out how to operate with this powerful rogue group doing whatever they wanted in the most hyper-violent manner possible? If my memory isnt making a liar of me, that even provides a precedent and blueprint for DC trying to do the same thing.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.