Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I sometimes wonder if the writers ever ship Peter with other female Superheroes as much as the fans do...

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Did that even still count as canon or relevance? I'm serious. Does it count?

And I agree with Mr.Mets. Editorial and average dating life for Pete.
    I don't think we'll be seeing Peter's time teaching Mutants, or the X-Men disliking him for some reason, referenced for a looong time. Unless for a joke. Which would be appropriate for that series .

You guys keep saying that Peter wants normalcy so that's why he dates normal girls. But dating someone with powers doesn't necessarily mean that he can't have normalcy. What if he dates someone who has powers but isn't a hero? They're just someone who tries to be normal and hide the fact that they have powers. That could be pretty interesting. They'd kind of parallel him because they just want a peaceful life even though they have powers.
    Hold my Annihilus- Johnny Storm

I think a real issue is superheroes in general tend to only date other superheroes. It makes Spider-Man seem more unique that he tends not to do that.

There are also a lot of logistical questions. If they have Peter go out with an already established character, the Spidey writer may not have complete control over the relationship. If they create a new character just for that purpose, they may find themselves having difficulty making the audience care for the new powered love interest just as they have trouble making the audience care for the civilian love interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I think a real issue is superheroes in general tend to only date other superheroes. It makes Spider-Man seem more unique that he tends not to do that.

There are also a lot of logistical questions. If they have Peter go out with an already established character, the Spidey writer may not have complete control over the relationship. If they create a new character just for that purpose, they may find themselves having difficulty making the audience care for the new powered love interest just as they have trouble making the audience care for the civilian love interest.
    Would it be too much to go for the Superman/Wonderwoman team book angle?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

I have a question for the people in this thread. How long do you expect the next girl Peter dates to last, and how far do you care to see their relationship go? Do you just want the next girl to feed some new stories, see some cute interactions, and move on? Or do you want Peter to find someone to really fall in love with, commit to, and truly have an effect in his life?
    Last edited by Vortex85; 03-31-2016 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Would it be too much to go for the Superman/Wonderwoman team book angle?
    I think the problem becomes evident rather quickly on that front. What does the writer of Amazing Spider-Man do? What does the writer of Spidey's girlfriend's title do? Or do you pair Peter up with someone from a team franchise that they would be willing to cede some control over? (Kind of like what happened with Peter and Kitty Pryde over in Ultimate Spider-Man.)

Or do you pick some obscure character that isn't really being used right now that doesn't really have a "home" title?

Another problem? Marvel doesn't really have a female lead with the stature of a Wonder Woman. (Marvel has tried building Carol Danvers into that, but she's not there yet.)

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I have a question for the people in this thread. How long do you expect the next girl Peter dates to last, and how far do you care to see their relationship go? Do you just want the next girl to feed some new stories, see some cute interactions, and move on? Or do you want Peter to find someone to really fall in love with, commit to, and truly have an effect in his life?
    Well...personally, I would just want MJ back as the lead female character of the book and as Peter's lover/spouse, given how hard it has been for writers to create lasting and effective love interests for Peter when they'll always be in Mary Jane and the marriages shadow.

Failing that (and Marvel's refusal to do so), I would want a writer to create or use a love interest who adds to the narrative, is an engaging character with depth, someone who Peter bounces off with well, and who's romance with Peter is developed well. So like MJ .

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I think the problem becomes evident rather quickly on that front. What does the writer of Amazing Spider-Man do? What does the writer of Spidey's girlfriend's title do? Or do you pair Peter up with someone from a team franchise that they would be willing to cede some control over? (Kind of like what happened with Peter and Kitty Pryde over in Ultimate Spider-Man.)

Or do you pick some obscure character that isn't really being used right now that doesn't really have a "home" title?

Another problem? Marvel doesn't really have a female lead with the stature of a Wonder Woman. (Marvel has tried building Carol Danvers into that, but she's not there yet.)
    Which is probably why the Superman and Wonder Woman relationship was never going to really last.

Twink from Young Avengers Assgardian's Avatar

This ship will never not appeal to me. I'll just leave this here...

spideykat.jpg

It's Kitty Pryde, btdubs; in case someone couldn't tell.
    WICCANFROSTPRYDEWOLVERINEICEMANHELLIONGWENHAWKEYEMSMARVEL
    "Disappointed, Ms. Frost?" "Astonished, Ms. Pryde."
    #MutantAndProud #EmmaWasRight

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I thought she hated him.
    It's a love hate relationship.

The latter. I want him to find the Jessica Jones to his Luke Cage lol
    Hold my Annihilus- Johnny Storm

BANNED

That's saying that even a "short" relationship has little to no relevance. Which isn't true.

I want his significant others to mean something to him, but I don't want them staying together if one isn't happy and because Peter won't stop being Spider-Man. Being together thirty years doesn't mean squat if you spend most of it squabbling.

BANNED

As to the OP: It's like dating someone who does the same thing for a living. Not to say you can't share a common interest/employment, but sometimes you wanna separate that part of your life from the rest of your life.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

In-universe there's probably that many super-powered girls who want the Peter Parker portion of Spidey and I bet Spidey is the same too. Do you think Peter/Mockingbird would work out when he's running a company that makes more than Stark's and being Spider-Man while she's a full-time SHIELD agent who's always up to some secret crap?

Then in the real world there's editorial to deal with. If the super-heroine is under the helm of other writers, it'll cause problems.

The only way for this setup to work is for the current writer(s) to create a new character but she'll have to be real popular with the public and future creative teams to stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    That's saying that even a "short" relationship has little to no relevance. Which isn't true.

I want his significant others to mean something to him, but I don't want them staying together if one isn't happy and because Peter won't stop being Spider-Man. Being together thirty years doesn't mean squat if you spend most of it squabbling.
    Contradictory much?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Contradictory much?
    Not contradictory at all. Being together a long time doesn't make your relationship a success, same way being together a short time doesn't make it a failure, or less important. Folks come in and out of our lives all the time, be they friends or lovers.