Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Why don't some people like it when Wonder Woman has a Sword and shield?

I think it's perfectly logical addition to her arsenal of tools.

For me it's unnecessary. I don't mind when she busts out these tools from time to time, but I prefer the lasso and bracers as her primary equipment. Also, Diana was once a symbol of reform and love the sword and shield show a shift toward killing and war.

Mighty Member

well the shield is redundant since she has her bracelets, they were made to be that form of protection and the sword is about the use of violent weaponry. she was made to be very non violent, very opposed to those things specifically to give us a break from "blood curdingly masculinity" so for her to become a break from that violence to then become someone who utilizes it on a constant basis is really an affront to the character. ofc thats not to say she can never use a sword, she did in her original run once, but its very seldom.
    her main weapons should be her lasso, her bracelets, and her heart( as corny as that sounds).
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 03-31-2016 at 03:10 PM.

Those things make her derivative of other heroes. Wonder Woman was, if nothing else, original.

Giving her a shield, when she already had her bracelets, is like giving Spider-Man wings.
    Last edited by Largo161; 03-31-2016 at 03:44 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

I don't hate it, I just wish the Lasso was used more.

Incredible Member

Shield - unnecessary since she has unbreakable bracers / bracelets which serve the exact same purpose (in addition to sometimes having other awesome properties, like creating shockwaves to repel enemies).

Sword - unnecessarily phallic shaped which runs contrary to Wonder Woman's ... ethos / mythos. Entirely inappropriate for an Amazonian Princess on a mission to bring peace to man's world. Also entirely inappropriate for a compassionate warrior who supposedly extends an open hand before ever raising a fist. Derivative of so many other "warrior princesses" (including my beloved Xena and almost equally beloved She-Ra). And instead of Wonder Woman appearing heroic, having her run into every battle waving a sword makes her look unnecessarily eager to start a fight (and to then finish the fight by killing her opponent). A sword is an offensive (as opposed to defensive) weapon. While a sword may be appropriate in very limited circumstances, it's not something that Wonder Woman should be openly brandishing in every skirmish. Wonder Woman is meant to be the kind of hero that little kids, boys and girls, would run up to with glee if she landed in their midst. I'm not sure many kids would run up to a woman wielding a sword soaked in the blood of her enemies, whether those enemies were human, metahuman or something else.

All IMHO of course.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I don't like the sword because Diana has never been about bloodshed to me. If she need to cut through something, she could use her razor-sharp tiara. The shield is really unnecessary when she has her bracelets. This being said, I'm fine if she uses these or other types of weapons against omega-level threats such as Darkseid, Doomsday, or the Anti-Monitor.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

All-New Member

They do fit the Amazon look and arsenal, but they weaken her as a metahuman/demigod

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RR1976 View Post
    They do fit the Amazon look and arsenal, but they weaken her as a metahuman/demigod
    How so? is their something I'm missing?

BANNED

The question is, what's wrong with the lasso, why does Wonder Woman need a sword...Apart from what's already been said, she doesn't actually need one seeing that more often than not Wonder Woman has absolutely no intention of killing her foe. So in the nu52 you see Wonder Woman sometimes swing her sword at Superman just because she happens to be holding one. And when the sword does come in handy, where it could be useful eg to slay Doomsday or some other creature, she's inconsequential with it in order to prolong the conflict. So we get Wonder Woman stabbing Doomsday in the shoulder, to absolutely no effect, instead of cutting his head off and getting the whole thing over with. In either case she comes across as a moron that doesn't know how or when it's appropriate to use a sword.
    Last edited by Pamp_Lusa; 03-31-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Fantastic Member

I like those weapons:

Amazons - Shield, Sword and Bow...if anything, the lasso is the thing out of place, but since it's part of WW's history, why not? It's how it's all used, and what attributes it can bring. The sword has shown to be able to cut impervious beings, so this can bring WW at par with beings whose main advantage is invulnerability because no matter how skilled WW is a fighter, it will be useless against someone who can't get hurt or stronger than her physically.

The bow will be a nice addition, I think her Tiara can transform into a bow and fire eldricth bolt

The shiled is not necessary, unless she can use it as a skateboard to fly, like in He-Man, kind of a flying skateboard.

Her lasso is fine the way it is, but they do need to find better ways and techniques for her to use it...

I only want to see it when and if she has to go to war, against a Darkseid level opponent, since, the sword isn't just your typical sword, but is a very powerful magically made sword. She should definitely pull out full armor and weaponry for the big End of the world type of fights. But regular time, she just needs the lasso.
    Richard Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I don't like the sword because Diana has never been about bloodshed to me. If she need to cut through something, she could use her razor-sharp tiara. The shield is really unnecessary when she has her bracelets. This being said, I'm fine if she uses these or other types of weapons against omega-level threats such as Darkseid, Doomsday, or the Anti-Monitor.
    Hmm? I was just about to post this exact same thing.. Great minds?
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I think it's perfectly logical addition to her arsenal of tools.
    For me, the dislike is really on a sword and shield being her standard. As an Amazon, their Champion, and as a favored and a Champion of Olympus, we know she is going to have various suits of armor tailored to her standard (each Amazon had a standard) and many weapons (Amazon forged, God forged, and gifts from other Pantheons). However, Wonder Woman's standard gear is her magic lasso, bracelets, and her tiara. Those items with the properties that they have and the sources of those properties are really peerless. With her powers and that gear there is no physical challenge she can't answer. So in the end the sword but especially the shield is redundant.

But beyond the redundancy, the wielding of a sword (or the volume 2 ginormous axe) can communicate an intent to kill which WW shouldn't have right out of the gate (and one could make a pretty convincing argument that she should the last person trying to kill anyone). It reminds me of the Byrne Hippolyte WW where right off she is lopping off body parts. From the jump.

I guess this is what DC wants. They don't want the WW from the advanced place with things to teach us. They want Xena with power that rivals Superman. In that take, the sword makes sense.

Oh yeah--it makes her more generic. There are many characters wielding sword and shield in fiction and fantasy. But there is to my knowledge NO ONE with WW's original gear and the swagger and dynamism the image of them in action conveys. They are just cooler.
    Last edited by Stanlos; 03-31-2016 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Shield - unnecessary since she has unbreakable bracers / bracelets which serve the exact same purpose (in addition to sometimes having other awesome properties, like creating shockwaves to repel enemies).

Sword - unnecessarily phallic shaped which runs contrary to Wonder Woman's ... ethos / mythos. Entirely inappropriate for an Amazonian Princess on a mission to bring peace to man's world. Also entirely inappropriate for a compassionate warrior who supposedly extends an open hand before ever raising a fist. Derivative of so many other "warrior princesses" (including my beloved Xena and almost equally beloved She-Ra). And instead of Wonder Woman appearing heroic, having her run into every battle waving a sword makes her look unnecessarily eager to start a fight (and to then finish the fight by killing her opponent). A sword is an offensive (as opposed to defensive) weapon. While a sword may be appropriate in very limited circumstances, it's not something that Wonder Woman should be openly brandishing in every skirmish. Wonder Woman is meant to be the kind of hero that little kids, boys and girls, would run up to with glee if she landed in their midst. I'm not sure many kids would run up to a woman wielding a sword soaked in the blood of her enemies, whether those enemies were human, metahuman or something else.

All IMHO of course.
    srsly? i can undesrtand not liking ancient weapons, but... really, that is the argument? making something that was designed with a purpuse (xiphos, for example, is a broadbladed piercer) in war just another tool of hatred towards men bacause somehow it resembles a d**k for you? i am not criticizing you not liking weapons but the comparison not only really is out of place but you also trampled in the very cultural origins Wonder woman is meant to portray just for some personal bias. the whole offensive weapon is also debatable, cause the main weapon for attack at those eras for the mesopotamian cultures was the spear, leaving the sword as a last resort kind of weapon (in some cases the sword was used as a defensive tool in their homes), not to mention other weapons like the labrys (dual-bladed cerimonial battleaxe) was one of the greatest simbols of feminity and it may just be seen with disgust (going by that logic) simply because it is a weapon.

yes you all do have the right to dislike the use of weapons , but please dont just trample on culture out of a bias