Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Default SyFy orders Krypton Pilot !?

The long thought dead Krypton series isn't so dead after all.

Because why would you make a show about Superman himself when you can make one about his home planet before he was even born.

http://comicsalliance.com/syfy-super...s-pilot-order/

Who knows though, might turn out interesting, have to wait and see I guess.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

I'm actually looking forward to it. It will be a deeper look to Man Of Steel's version of Krypton and the House Of El. Should be interesting.

200 years before Superman was born... Um... I can't see this lasting long. I just can't imagine there being a large audience wanting to watch events about Superman's grandfather. I suppose I could be wrong.

I'd rather have a new Superman series.

Sounded boring then, sounds boring now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Unless I am going to see some epic Kryptonian Civil War or the Kem-El deal, it sounds pretty boring to me.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd rather a straight up THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN show, on AMC. Short seasons, and a solid budget (doesn't have to be crazy).
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-21-2016 at 09:02 PM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Meh. I'm sure I will check it out if it actually is made, but it's not something I'm chomping at the bit to see.

Didn't Syfy learn anything from Caprica?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'd rather a straight up THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN show, on AMC. Short seasons, and a solid budget (doesn't have to be crazy).
    THat would be awesome.

And if not AMC then HBO.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lairston View Post
    THat would be awesome.

And if not AMC then HBO.
    HBO would be the dream. Get Michael C. Hall as Lex Luthor.

Hell, SHOWTIME would rock too.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Sounds more like "Here, have another non connected TV series" then one connected to the movies. Given it's going to be on Syfy I wouldn't hold my breath for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    The long thought dead Krypton series isn't so dead after all.

Because why would you make a show about Superman himself when you can make one about his home planet before he was even born.

http://comicsalliance.com/syfy-super...s-pilot-order/

Who knows though, might turn out interesting, have to wait and see I guess.
    I guess they couldn't get the rights to make a show about 1816 Gotham City. As much heat as Gotham takes for no Batman, I'll be curious to see the fan reaction to Krypton, especially if Superman villains start popping up.

I'll watch it if it makes it's way to Netflix streaming eventually because I already pay for Netflix and can watch it on my own pace whenever I want commercial free if it gets there, but, honestly, these prequels and side stories as television shows are not really what most people (Myself included) want to see in general. I'm not going to set an alarm on my phone to buzz me and make sure to get seated every Monday at 10pm or whenever to see these episodes and their associated commercials (I might if it was a real Superman series).

People want to see a show about Superman. Make a show about Superman. Not Krypton before Superman was born, not Clark Kent when he was in high school and hung out at Dawson's Creek, not Supergirl, not The Adventures of Lex Luthor's Cousin Steve- Superman, you know, Clark Kent, reporter for the Daily Planet as his "regular" identity, and Superman as his superhero identity. Give us the real thing.

The last time they did anything like that was the old Lois and Clark television show, which was at least 20 years ago now, and isn't even on Netflix (PS Please put that on Netflix). Since that was relatively PG and relationship oriented and a tad campy, they could now do a modern edgy take on Superman, or a Mad Men 1950s take that's for mature audiences. The Superman we want, delivered in a way we haven't seen him before on television.

There's sort of a cap on how much most Superman fans will enjoy a series like what they describe. It sounds a bit like Gotham- a TV show that is basically Batman without Batman, which I also do not make a big point of watching (I do have it on my Netflix list, and occasionally watch an old episode when I'm very bored).

I realize that DC Comics may be telling these TV networks that they can't have the real deal, but my response to that if I were a TV network executive would be "Okay, we'll pick up an original series with an original concept and not pay you anything then. Thank you and have a nice day. Lose our number unless you plan to offer us something more compelling.".

There's some argument to be made for picking up series about lesser known but still established characters who are leads in their own books like Arrow and The Flash. I watch those on delay when they hit Netflix, and I like them. Daredevil and AKA Jessica Jones from Marvel are also worth watching- and those are Netflix originals.

But, mostly, if someone offered my network anything less than the best they have to offer, I would be insulted. Krypton- give me a break.

There are a ton of original concepts that could be explored for science fiction television. There are a ton of good shows that could be revived or rebooted. I'd love to see new episodes of Sliders, for example, whether it's a continuation with some of the original cast, or a new show with actors who are the same ages as the old actors were when the original show aired, playing different versions of Quinn, Wade, Remmy, and Arturo who begin sliding for the first time in 2016.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 04-27-2016 at 05:13 PM.

I'm getting my Superman TV fix from Supergirl and my DC prequel fix from Gotham, so I'm no sure what this can really offer that will make me want to watch it on a weekly basis. Though I guess I'll still hope for its success nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    I'll watch it if it makes it's way to Netflix streaming eventually because I already pay for Netflix and can watch it on my own pace whenever I want commercial free if it gets there, but, honestly, these prequels and side stories as television shows are not really what most people (Myself included) want to see in general. I'm not going to set an alarm on my phone to buzz me and make sure to get seated every Monday at 10pm or whenever to see these episodes and their associated commercials (I might if it was a real Superman series).

People want to see a show about Superman. Make a show about Superman. Not Krypton before Superman was born, not Clark Kent when he was in high school and hung out at Dawson's Creek, not Supergirl, not The Adventures of Lex Luthor's Cousin Steve- Superman, you know, Clark Kent, reporter for the Daily Planet as his "regular" identity, and Superman as his superhero identity. Give us the real thing.

The last time they did anything like that was the old Lois and Clark television show, which was at least 20 years ago now, and isn't even on Netflix (PS Please put that on Netflix). Since that was relatively PG and relationship oriented and a tad campy, they could now do a modern edgy take on Superman, or a Mad Men 1950s take that's for mature audiences. The Superman we want, delivered in a way we haven't seen him before on television.

There's sort of a cap on how much most Superman fans will enjoy a series like what they describe. It sounds a bit like Gotham- a TV show that is basically Batman without Batman, which I also do not make a big point of watching (I do have it on my Netflix list, and occasionally watch an old episode when I'm very bored).
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm getting my Superman TV fix from Supergirl and my DC prequel fix from Gotham, so I'm no sure what this can really offer that will make me want to watch it on a weekly basis. Though I guess I'll still hope for its success nonetheless.
    Basically how I feel. Supergirl and Gotham are fun shows that just happen to be using some characters from the comic books. Even if the characters were totally original, they would still be fun to watch. That there are easter eggs galore just adds to the fun. Using Superman or Batman as the lead character instead wouldn't make them a better show. A show stands on how the characters are portrayed. Honestly I had no interest at all in Supergirl before the TV show. Never even read a Supergirl comic book before and wasn't all that interested in the TV show until about the 4th or 5th episode. Now I love the show. Likewise with Gotham. Before that I found Penguin to be boring and silly. Now he's my favorite character on the show.
    If Krypton has compelling characters I'll watch. If it's just a VFX slop fest with cardboard cut-out characters, I won't watch for long.