Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Is there a way to make everyone happy?

With "old" Superman taking over the Super-books for a while (hopefully not forever) and "new" Superman being MIA for a while (again, hopefully not forever) is there a way to make all fans happy? Other than everyone agreeing with me about everything, I mean!

What would be your suggestions for reconciling the differences between fans of "new" and "old" Superman?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

No, there is not and probably will never be, until we all sit down and agree to be the same person.

Always go for the fences and I will respect it, whether or not it's my thing.

I doubt it. Maybe if the Pre N52 universe becomes Earth 2 and gets it's own line of comics, while N52 remains the main conintuity.

Who knows? Maybe DC doesn't want to make everyone happy. If there's more fan division/ rage then there's likely to be more interent activity?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by friendly-fire-press View Post
    Maybe if the Pre N52 universe becomes Earth 2 and gets it's own line of comics, while N52 remains the main conintuity.
    That's not a bad suggestion, actually. It would be the perfect test to see which world fans like more.

Back for noon feeding The Shredder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    What would be your suggestions for reconciling the differences between fans of "new" and "old" Superman?
    There is no way to reconcile.

One of the major problems between the sets of fans is the distinguishable change in character due to being rebooted. Some prefer this over that, and it will always be that way when it comes to Superman. In alot of ways, I wish Byrne's MOS in 1986 never happened. Byrne claims that he was more than willing to work within the Pre-Crisis continuity when he came on board for Superman, but says that DC was adamant with going for a hard reboot. That right there caused problems. As a consequence, you had fans who preferred Pre-Crisis over Post-Crisis, and vice versa. Generations later, we now see the same thing with Post-Crisis/Pre-Flashpoint and New52. You don't really see Batman readers nitpicking or whining about Pre-Crisis Batman over Post-Crisis Batman, or Post-Crisis/Pre-Flashpoint Batman over New52 Batman cause the changes are alot less distinct or played up than they are with Superman.

If Byrne was actually allowed to work within the continuity and do something of a "Year One" much like Frank Miller was allowed to with Batman (IE not essentially erasing everything prior to 1986), along with not rebooting Superman from the ground up in 2011 (give him the "Year Zero" origin from Morrison and be done with it) I think the Superman comic reading fan base would be in a much healthier position than it has been for quite awhile now.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Well, the new Jurgens interview on Newsarama makes it sound more concrete that it's New 52 Superman who's the Clark Kent that's around along with the new Superman. So I assume it's Pre-Flashpoint Superman filling in a little bit to help Clark reestablish his identity. That hardly satisfies everyone - it's still a dumb event with a lack of real talent behind it - but it essentially undoes Truth (though Lois and Jimmy will presumably still know the Truth), classic Superman fans will get their boy back for awhile, and New 52 fans will have it made clear their Superman is waiting in the wings to return.
    Buh-bye

You just keep building the new Superman. Same as DC did back in the day. They didn't give up on post-Crisis Superman five years in. They built up. There was then and always continued to be a contingent who never warmed up to the character, but he got popular You can't make absolutely 100% of everyone happy. There's no point in even trying. But what you do is stay generally true to the basic concept of a character, doing right by them that way, then just telling the best stories you possibly can. DC has failed in both arenas as of late what with the constant half-assed crossovers for new Superman, and now this replacement debacle. If this is a temp thing an they're not giving up on the new Superman okay. I'm still not going to read about the old guy, I'll wait it out, but you don't give up on the main guy completely.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-31-2016 at 05:18 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

With "old" Superman taking over the Super-books for a while (hopefully not forever) and "new" Superman being MIA for a while (again, hopefully not forever) is there a way to make all fans happy? Other than everyone agreeing with me about everything, I mean!

You could probably lessen the divide by using the multiverse a bit more. But you will never 100 percent unify the fanbase

That's not a bad suggestion, actually. It would be the perfect test to see which world fans like more.
    That's a lot like Ultimate and Main Marvel, but hopefully, I don't believe in the Ultimate Marvel curse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Well, the new Jurgens interview on Newsarama makes it sound more concrete that it's New 52 Superman who's the Clark Kent that's around along with the new Superman. So I assume it's Pre-Flashpoint Superman filling in a little bit to help Clark reestablish his identity. That hardly satisfies everyone - it's still a dumb event with a lack of real talent behind it - but it essentially undoes Truth (though Lois and Jimmy will presumably still know the Truth), classic Superman fans will get their boy back for awhile, and New 52 fans will have it made clear their Superman is waiting in the wings to return.
    Definitely still a dumb event, but I'll sleep better at night while waiting this out if I'm given the distinct feeling it is indeed just that, an event, something finite with an ending in store.

If Clark in Action is Kal-El though, what was with Jurgens' goofy "and its not what you think!" line at WonderCon? Because the new 52 Superman is kinda what everyone would think.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

speaking for myself i could compromise if by going bi-weekly we get a superman at each week, so n52 would get one week and pre-fp would get the other, that way the fans of a certain incarnation would only need to focus on either the odd or even numbers.

as for the alternative titles that is were the things would get ugly, like trinity or jl for example.

I don't even think the scenario as described above, with a Superman title focusing on new52 Superman in the mainstream DC universe, and an Action Comics title featuring the pre-Flashpoint Superman, returning to a Metropolis in his original universe that presumed him dead the last few years, just as he presumed that that universe was dead, would need to be a trial or a test run.

What's wrong with having two Supermen, each in their own universe? It'd certainly be a way of diversifying the Superman line by differentiating the two main books and giving people separate reasons to buy each of them, instead of them essentially both being the same thing with different individual stories.

I also think, though there might be a friendly rivalry among fans about which Superman is better, the way people argue about Superman and Batman in general, that there would actually be a broad interest in both titles. If their Superman hadn't been eliminated at the start of the new52, and it was just two separate Superman books in two separate universes, the pre-Flashpoint fans might have gone easier on the new52 Superman and come to enjoy him as an alternative take on the Superman mythos. That he was *replacing* their guy is what got some of them really upset. Similarly, now we have the pre-Flashpoint Superman *replacing* the new52 Superman, which is getting some of us newer fans (Although I hesitate to categorize myself that way, I remember watching Lois and Clark on TV in the 90s and stuff, I'm just newer to really following comics) upset that our Superman is gone.

If they'd just told me pre-Flashpoint Superman is taking over Action Comics and new52 Superman gets the Superman title and Justice League books and stuff, I'd probably have subscribed to all of them. As things stand, I may drop all of my subs after Rebirth (Already dropped the two with retro Supermen- Lois and Clark, and The Coming of the Supermen).

DC Comics has twice with their poor treatment of a version of the Superman character created a contentious situation that's alienated some fans. I'll bet both books would sell better if they existed side by side. Every once in a while, there could be a cross-dimensional Super team up. People could buy the "other" Superman's book, whomever the "other" Superman is for them, without feeling resentful that he'd displaced their guy, and just think of it as a bonus added, the way they'd buy a Batman book or a Green Lantern book or whatever.

Oh, and added bonus, those crossovers everyone thinks are too frequent and/or require people to buy two man side books they don't want? There might be less of them if the two Superman exist in two different continuities, leaving more space for each Superman to be developed in their own books with their own stories.

I think editorial probably feels that having two Supermen in two different universes would create confusion, and maybe it did in the 80s when they had a similar scenario pre-Crisis (When what we now talk about as the pre-Flashpoint Superman was the younger guy stealing the original Superman's spotlight ). However, one thing they may not be taking into account on that is that their audience is no longer primarily children. It's adult comic book nerds, and maybe some teenagers. You know what adult comic book nerds are really good at? Keeping track of continuity and alternate versions. I mean, seriously, the audience DC has and wants more of is exactly the audience most likely to understand two separate Supermen in two separate universes in their own books almost instantaneously and not even need much of an explanation, as long as it's not done in an overtly confusing way. One Superman and one universe per series. There.

They could even encourage the pre-Flashpoint Action Comics to go with retro artistic work to some degree (Not necessarily like Golden Age stuff, just 80s and 90s and 00s stuff- post-crisis), and the new52 Superman title to go with cutting edge stuff. The whole look and feel of each series could match the era each Superman started in. Differentiate the costumes more. You could have new52 Clark really go after Diana. You could put pre-Flashpoint Kent back in the fedora and trunks and reporting for a paper newspaper (I don't know if you'd actually change the time period, you might just say it's happening "currently" and since it's another universe, it's a mix of classic stuff and modern stuff, like the TV show Gotham, which features classic cars on the road, flip phones instead of smart phones, and yet has some very modern stuff as well, where it's really in it's own universe).

I'm sure there'd be a snarky editorial or two about audience confusion from clipbait websites and media that doesn't really get comic books or comic book fans, or people who do get comic books and comic book fans, but are just trying to stir the pot, saying the whole situation that would exist with two Supermen in two different comics and two different universes was needlessly confusing and a sign of editorial dissarary, but that wouldn't make it *true*, and I don't think much of the core fan base and the people you realistically might reach would share that impression.

The truth is, there are three markets: a market for everything Superman, a market for a retro Superman, and a market for a modern edgier Superman. You own a comic book publishing house that used to publish almost 100 monthly titles, down to 52 in 2011, and 30-40 post-Rebirth (Although with some shipping twice a month, it's really going to be fairly close to 52 again, I'd think, if we count issues per month). Superman is probably your first or second best known character. It's not a grave hardship to do one book to make one audience happy and a second book to make another audience happy- with that third audience that likes both cross-buying both titles (Also, people from each camp becoming part of the third camp just because, hey, their Superman is no longer threatened, so why not give the other one a try?). Each book would probably sell better individually than giving both of the major Superman titles to one version of Superman.

I mean, when there were four Supermen after the Death of Superman storyline from in the 90s, people didn't like that, but it was because it was essentially four versions of Superman that nobody wanted, and they were all in the same universe with questionable claims on being that universe's Superman. Same with Superman Red and Superman Blue. This would be different, because it's two Supermen who each have large constituencies, each in their own universe, where they were Clark Kent and are definitely their universe's Superman.

Fantastic Member

It might work, but what about outside comics. Which do you do SM/LL or SM/WW?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    I don't even think the scenario as described above, with a Superman title focusing on new52 Superman in the mainstream DC universe, and an Action Comics title featuring the pre-Flashpoint Superman, returning to a Metropolis in his original universe that presumed him dead the last few years, just as he presumed that that universe was dead, would need to be a trial or a test run.

What's wrong with having two Supermen, each in their own universe? It'd certainly be a way of diversifying the Superman line by differentiating the two main books and giving people separate reasons to buy each of them, instead of them essentially both being the same thing with different individual stories.

I also think, though there might be a friendly rivalry among fans about which Superman is better, the way people argue about Superman and Batman in general, that there would actually be a broad interest in both titles. If their Superman hadn't been eliminated at the start of the new52, and it was just two separate Superman books in two separate universes, the pre-Flashpoint fans might have gone easier on the new52 Superman and come to enjoy him as an alternative take on the Superman mythos. That he was *replacing* their guy is what got some of them really upset. Similarly, now we have the pre-Flashpoint Superman *replacing* the new52 Superman, which is getting some of us newer fans (Although I hesitate to categorize myself that way, I remember watching Lois and Clark on TV in the 90s and stuff, I'm just newer to really following comics) upset that our Superman is gone.

If they'd just told me pre-Flashpoint Superman is taking over Action Comics and new52 Superman gets the Superman title and Justice League books and stuff, I'd probably have subscribed to all of them. As things stand, I may drop all of my subs after Rebirth (Already dropped the two with retro Supermen- Lois and Clark, and The Coming of the Supermen).

DC Comics has twice with their poor treatment of a version of the Superman character created a contentious situation that's alienated some fans. I'll bet both books would sell better if they existed side by side. Every once in a while, there could be a cross-dimensional Super team up. People could buy the "other" Superman's book, whomever the "other" Superman is for them, without feeling resentful that he'd displaced their guy, and just think of it as a bonus added, the way they'd buy a Batman book or a Green Lantern book or whatever.

Oh, and added bonus, those crossovers everyone thinks are too frequent and/or require people to buy two man side books they don't want? There might be less of them if the two Superman exist in two different continuities, leaving more space for each Superman to be developed in their own books with their own stories.

I think editorial probably feels that having two Supermen in two different universes would create confusion, and maybe it did in the 80s when they had a similar scenario pre-Crisis (When what we now talk about as the pre-Flashpoint Superman was the younger guy stealing the original Superman's spotlight ). However, one thing they may not be taking into account on that is that their audience is no longer primarily children. It's adult comic book nerds, and maybe some teenagers. You know what adult comic book nerds are really good at? Keeping track of continuity and alternate versions. I mean, seriously, the audience DC has and wants more of is exactly the audience most likely to understand two separate Supermen in two separate universes in their own books almost instantaneously and not even need much of an explanation, as long as it's not done in an overtly confusing way. One Superman and one universe per series. There.

They could even encourage the pre-Flashpoint Action Comics to go with retro artistic work to some degree (Not necessarily like Golden Age stuff, just 80s and 90s and 00s stuff- post-crisis), and the new52 Superman title to go with cutting edge stuff. The whole look and feel of each series could match the era each Superman started in. Differentiate the costumes more. You could have new52 Clark really go after Diana. You could put pre-Flashpoint Kent back in the fedora and trunks and reporting for a paper newspaper (I don't know if you'd actually change the time period, you might just say it's happening "currently" and since it's another universe, it's a mix of classic stuff and modern stuff, like the TV show Gotham, which features classic cars on the road, flip phones instead of smart phones, and yet has some very modern stuff as well, where it's really in it's own universe).

I'm sure there'd be a snarky editorial or two about audience confusion from clipbait websites and media that doesn't really get comic books or comic book fans, or people who do get comic books and comic book fans, but are just trying to stir the pot, saying the whole situation that would exist with two Supermen in two different comics and two different universes was needlessly confusing and a sign of editorial dissarary, but that wouldn't make it *true*, and I don't think much of the core fan base and the people you realistically might reach would share that impression.

The truth is, there are three markets: a market for everything Superman, a market for a retro Superman, and a market for a modern edgier Superman. You own a comic book publishing house that used to publish almost 100 monthly titles, down to 52 in 2011, and 30-40 post-Rebirth (Although with some shipping twice a month, it's really going to be fairly close to 52 again, I'd think, if we count issues per month). Superman is probably your first or second best known character. It's not a grave hardship to do one book to make one audience happy and a second book to make another audience happy- with that third audience that likes both cross-buying both titles (Also, people from each camp becoming part of the third camp just because, hey, their Superman is no longer threatened, so why not give the other one a try?). Each book would probably sell better individually than giving both of the major Superman titles to one version of Superman.

I mean, when there were four Supermen after the Death of Superman storyline from in the 90s, people didn't like that, but it was because it was essentially four versions of Superman that nobody wanted, and they were all in the same universe with questionable claims on being that universe's Superman. Same with Superman Red and Superman Blue. This would be different, because it's two Supermen who each have large constituencies, each in their own universe, where they were Clark Kent and are definitely their universe's Superman.
    A lot of people fear The Ultimate Marvel curse. I don't think it's real though. I see DC as different and capable of handling two universes. It might split some sales though. But I think creating divergent universes isn't a bad idea in concept. I would argue that Ultimate Marvel failed for other reasons than being a second universe.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    You just keep building the new Superman. Same as DC did back in the day. They didn't give up on post-Crisis Superman five years in. They built up.
    I think it's safe to say that those five years weren't really like these five years. But roughly around that time anyway, we got the engagement and Doomsday not long after. So even then the solution was to kill and replace him. And now the B/S book, the WW relationship, Doomed, Truth... none of that stuff really moved the needle. So they're replacing him. The numbers to me haven't suggested that they're pleasing the lesser amount of potential readers by trying something new.