Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

In a show that was all about solving mysteries and encountering monsters.... somehow the ONLY character heroic enough to charge AT the monster is the one most hated???

I'll admit I never understood that awesome. I thought Scrappy was awesome. I mean... yeah, the rest had to work at keeping him alive, but that seems legit. I always appreciate a character who charges in and takes the fight to the enemy!!

/fights impulse to scream Leroy Jenkins!!!

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Found him to be an annoying fifth wheel that added nothing of value to the series as a whole. That's true of most kid sidekicks added to shows after the fact as well. They tend to have an energy that is completely jarring when compared to the rest of the cast, and the show as a whole. And you know he was probably pieced together in a board room, using demographic charts. He just doesn't seem like a character a creative person would willingly create.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Found him to be an annoying fifth wheel that added nothing of value to the series as a whole. That's true of most kid sidekicks added to shows after the fact as well. They tend to have an energy that is completely jarring when compared to the rest of the cast, and the show as a whole. And you know he was probably pieced together in a board room, using demographic charts. He just doesn't seem like a character a creative person would willingly create.
    Exactly. Scrappy is the cousin Oliver or the poochie of the scooby doo world. That's where all the hate comes from. I don't hate him. But yeah, as a kid i also found him pretty darn annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I like Scrappy-Doo too! Hes just a kid whos wants to be like his uncle, he can totally be redone as a cute puppy who sometimes hangs out with Scooby.
    And gets accidentally run over with the Mystery Machine!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by soccerguy951 View Post
    Exactly. Scrappy is the cousin Oliver or the poochie of the scooby doo world. That's where all the hate comes from. I don't hate him. But yeah, as a kid i also found him pretty darn annoying.
    These are pretty much my feelings. I thought he was an annoying character.

However, I was under the impression that it actually worked in this case...that Scrappy improved the rating a bit?

Invincible Member

Oh, for what it's worth some folks might want to check out a film called Saturday Mourning Massacre. It's a serious horror movie where the main characters are a loose homage to the Scooby gang.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    These are pretty much my feelings. I thought he was an annoying character.

However, I was under the impression that it actually worked in this case...that Scrappy improved the rating a bit?
    I believe that was the case. Oliver he wasn't.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I'm sort of agnostic on Scrappy Doo. As a kid, I found him quite a hoot; as an adult, I don't see his addition to the classic crew as being necessary, but nor was he a deal-killer.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I'm sort of agnostic on Scrappy Doo. As a kid, I found him quite a hoot; as an adult, I don't see his addition to the classic crew as being necessary, but nor was he a deal-killer.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Basically my sentiments, BA. The original crew is my favorite, but I have no animus towards Uncle Scooby's nephew.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I personally hated Scrappy Doo so no skin off my back.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    In a show that was all about solving mysteries and encountering monsters.... somehow the ONLY character heroic enough to charge AT the monster is the one most hated???
    I always appreciate a character who charges in and takes the fight to the enemy!!
    /fights impulse to scream Leroy Jenkins!!!
    Well that was kind of Fred's role, although he approached it more methodically, as the show wasn't so much about "charging at monsters" (although there were chases), but solving mysteries.
    In that context Scrappy was pandering to a more witless approach, and was just annoying.
    It would have been ok if he was funny, but he wasn't funny either, not like the terrific Shaggy Scooby dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I like Scrappy-Doo too! Hes just a kid whos wants to be like his uncle, he can totally be redone as a cute puppy who sometimes hangs out with Scooby.
    The analogous "kid" acting characters, who kids could and did latch onto, were Scooby and Shagy.
    They didn't need a big headed little bodied "kid" shaped character to represent kids.
    Although that did become momentarily popular and started a horrible trend ...cuteifying everything! Scrappy just became the ultimate horrible representation of that.
    Anyway I wasn't a fan, but am mostly indifferent to the character, It's great people liked him. I agree with the OP, making him the bad guy is a pretty cheap stunt.
    I'd rather they just ignore him
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-18-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Incredible Member

I always felt that Scrappy was an unnecessary (and a bit redundant) addition to the team. They already had a talking dog and Daphne was usually getting in danger (more than the rest) so I have no problem with him being a villain in apocalypse. This is only his 2nd outing as a villain.

Who will we see next? Vincent Van Ghoul and Flim Flam?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Considering Velma is almost directly responsible for the horror show going down, and Shaggy was certainly on the payroll, etc, acting like this is a character assassination or attack on Scrappy or his fans is silly.

If anything, I've been surprised - a bit - by how respectful the comic actually is.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Considering Velma is almost directly responsible for the horror show going down, and Shaggy was certainly on the payroll, etc, acting like this is a character assassination or attack on Scrappy or his fans is silly.

If anything, I've been surprised - a bit - by how respectful the comic actually is.
    I know, right? I was kind of hostile at first when I heard about the direction they were going, but I've been beginning to warm up to it a bit. I like Scrappy a lot, (Sure, sometimes he'd do stuff that would make me facepalm but I didn't really care, I rooted for him all the same, and his mistakes were sort of outweighed by his good intentions and his competent moments) I think that, despite initial appearences, they are going to go a direction with Scrappy that hasn't been gone for many years. Think about it-a meet up between Mystery Inc. and Scrappy's group is practically inevitable. Scrappy's actively searching for them, and I don't think the writers would put so much effort into his subplot if they weren't going to find them at all/just get his upgrades and go on his way. They have been treating Scrappy with respect- ripping up mindless monsters and expressing hatred for Scooby (Being the first dog to undergo the smart-dog procedure, Scrappy holds him responsible I guess) I don't really count horrifically evil. Anyway, they're treating Scrappy with respect-too much respect to pidgeonhole him as a villain again.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Hood View Post
    I never really understood why Scrappy was so hated. As a kid i liked him. There are worse cartoon sidekicks out there. Snarf comes to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I know. So scrappy wasn't funny like Scooby and Shaggy. Fred, Daphne and Velma weren't a load of laughs either. Scooby was cowardly and big, as a young'un I appreciated the contrast between the two characters.
    Fred, Daphne and Velma however were part of the popular Mystery Inc. equation. When Scrappy came on the show, he not only pushed the three smarter, braver, less goofier teens off the show, he also changed the whole format (from mystery solving half hours to 10-15 wacky hijinks similar to other generic Hanna-Barbera toons). The creators for some reason decided the show did not need to appeal to girls by jettisoning off Daphne and Velma (along with Fred), and the change from procedural to wacky shorts made the show lose what set it apart from the rest of the H/B stable. They brought back Daphne once they realized they lost girl viewers but the show still felt lacking and lopsided without the full gang together. A long time passed before Velma and Fred returned full time along with the procedural format.

I think most of the Scrappy haters strongly identify him with the unpopular changes made to the show's format and the dumping of 3/5ths of Mystery Inc. (not to mention the Mystery Machine) and think these changes were done to kind of force him down children's throats (in a way, true). So yeah, I guess he is hated because he is seen as the one to break up the Beatles.