Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    All-New Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    make him evil? what was he before?
    A good guy, of course.

Astonishing Member

The hate for Scrappy Doo never made sense to me. I liked him when he was with the entire group and with Scooby and Shaggy in the old cartoon movies. The only time I thought he was annoying was when it was just him,Shaggy and Scooby in the later cartoons.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I always found Scrappy annoying as hell tbh so I'm more than fine with him being evil in this, to me he's actually more likeable as a villain.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I always found Scrappy annoying as hell tbh so I'm more than fine with him being evil in this, to me he's actually more likeable as a villain.
    Scrappy was more than annoying....he was a show killer. I stopped watching shortly after he came in. Couldn't stand it anymore.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    The hate for Scrappy Doo never made sense to me. I liked him when he was with the entire group and with Scooby and Shaggy in the old cartoon movies. The only time I thought he was annoying was when it was just him,Shaggy and Scooby in the later cartoons.
    I agree. I never even heard of the hate for Scrappy till this thread. The only things I ever heard before that was either 1) Everything Scooby related was lame and was for LITTLE kids.... or 2) These new episodes arent' as good as when "I" was kid watching the REAL Scooby shows...

Personally I always liked Scrappy. Shaggy and Scooby were always obnoxious COWARDS and for a group that spent their living walking through haunted houses... that always bugged me. Scrappy was the closest you ever got to a HERO on that show. He was the character that ran TOWARD the threat and not AWAY from it.

As a kid I thought that was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I agree. I never even heard of the hate for Scrappy till this thread. The only things I ever heard before that was either 1) Everything Scooby related was lame and was for LITTLE kids.... or 2) These new episodes arent' as good as when "I" was kid watching the REAL Scooby shows...

Personally I always liked Scrappy. Shaggy and Scooby were always obnoxious COWARDS and for a group that spent their living walking through haunted houses... that always bugged me. Scrappy was the closest you ever got to a HERO on that show. He was the character that ran TOWARD the threat and not AWAY from it.

As a kid I thought that was awesome.
    Same here...

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

2) These new episodes arent' as good as when "I" was kid watching the REAL Scooby shows...
    As someone who watched the original show the first year it went on the air, the newer stuff is actually better (especially the animation).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    As someone who watched the original show the first year it went on the air, the newer stuff is actually better (especially the animation).
    I was born in '77 but with the syndication and reruns, I started off with the original shows too. I can't get into the new series. Too much making fun of it's own history and I HATE the modernized animation designs. I still think my favorite ones were the 'New Scooby Doo movies' with the Globetrotters and Addams Family and of course BATMAN! So I was well immersed in Scooby when scrappy was added and Fred and the girls started disappearing. I hated losing Fred (the closest they had to a 'hero' archtype) but I never Hated Scrappy. I thought he was fun, I just wished the WHOLE gang was around more... and more Batman :P

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I was born in '77 but with the syndication and reruns, I started off with the original shows too. I can't get into the new series. Too much making fun of it's own history and I HATE the modernized animation designs. I still think my favorite ones were the 'New Scooby Doo movies' with the Globetrotters and Addams Family and of course BATMAN! So I was well immersed in Scooby when scrappy was added and Fred and the girls started disappearing. I hated losing Fred (the closest they had to a 'hero' archtype) but I never Hated Scrappy. I thought he was fun, I just wished the WHOLE gang was around more... and more Batman :P
    Yes, seeing Batman & Robin with the Joker and Penguin was very cool (though Bat's cowl looked like crap).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I can't believe this thread is still alive.

(I also would have thought this series would have ended by now, but . . . )

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I can't believe this thread is still alive.

(I also would have thought this series would have ended by now, but . . . )
    The evil that is Scrappy Doo will never die. It is a curse.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yes, seeing Batman & Robin with the Joker and Penguin was very cool (though Bat's cowl looked like crap).
    At that age, I never even noticed. I just basked in the awesomness.

Amazing Member

Just a few notes/thoughts.
    The last few episodes of "Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated" explained while some animals could speak properly and others couldn't, at least for that universe. Scrappy, Van Ghoul and Flim-Flam have cameos.
    Scrappy was cool because he was always ready to kick ass.
    The Apocalypse universe is so remote from canon, that I don't care what happens in the book. I'm not knocking the book or its fans, it's just not my cup of tea. I am enjoying Ennis' "Dastardy & Muttley", is anyone else here reading it?

Quote Originally Posted by Skarmory1026 View Post
    Poochie 101? How about some Showbiz 101.
    t's pretty obvious, isn't it? They were experimenting with More Scrappy/Less Fred, Daphne & Velma as early as the first week of 1980
    I've seen the episode you're talking about. I don't understand how it relates. Yes, they took Fred, Daphne, and Velma out of the picture, but it does not "prove" that Scrappy was connected.
    Also, you have to understand that episodes are not done week by week. One Saturday Afternoon, after the latest episode has done, they do not sit down and begin the next episodes from scratch. Such episodes are mass produced in a predetermined quantity, which is quite a lengthy process, often taking months. You have to understand that in the fickle world of 80's cartoon programming that it is unwise to plan ahead when you don't even know whether you are going to go or not. Because if you do, and it turns out that the show wasn't renewed, then you have wasted time and money. Contrary to popular belief, Scooby was not always a shoo-in and there were some near misses, as Joe Ruby and Ken Spears can attest to. What am I trying to say? What I'm trying to say is that it's most likely that due to the nature of production AND the uncertainty it's Ransom of Scooby Chief and the 1980 season are unrelated. None of the other incarnations did this. Also, if they really were trying to test the waters, then why would they tack it on at the end as the season finale? Wouldn't it be better to put it earlier and have a better idea of how it effected the ratings? Also, had it truly been successful, then they would have introduced Duke and Annie. It was more likely for a spin-off starring the three but never got made.

Also, since the Scooby-Doo wiki can be edited by anyone, that doesn't count as an official source. You are still sourceless.
    Lol at least I have a source. By that logic, where is your source to prove that the arrival of Scrappy definitely did not have an impact on downplaying 3/5ths of the original Mystery Inc, including both of its female members?

It's obvious that through Scrappy, the program was being transformed into more of a variety show, increasingly targeted towards boys and smaller children. The reason Daphne was brought back 4 years later was to cater to girls that the franchise absolutely lacked in the early 80's. The fact that eventually Velma and Fred returned too along with the half-hour procedural format kind of hints towards how successful that intermediate "experiment" really was.

From his very first appearance, Scrappy-Doo has always been evil personified.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.