Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I look at it this way.

Ask any Joe Schmo about Wonder Woman. What is he going to tell you? NOTHING that didn't come from at least a passing familiarity with the Lynda Carter TV show. That's what.

The Lynda Carter show was THE last time that Wonder Woman was truly a publicly known figure, and it was DECADES ago. Don't get me wrong, it was a great show and it's still fun to watch. The show itself is not at fault here. DC is at fault for not KEEPING Diana in the public eye after the show. Because now? Decades later? People STILL think she flies around in an invisible plane and can lose her powers if you take off her belt.
    Well, as of SM/WW #6 she does fly around in an invisible jet.

The Lego Movie backs this up too

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Well, as of SM/WW #6 she does fly around in an invisible jet.
    For five minutes before it got destroyed in a poignant display of WHY it's such a dumb idea compared to letting her fly under her own power.

The Lego Movie backs this up too
    A silly movie that is not supposed to be taken seriously. It also derives most of its DC humor by deliberately invoking DC's old timey roots. Modern Superman doesn't talk anything like Lego Superman, I remind you.

And this is all okay, because the Lego movies are a laugh riot and they're supposed to be silly. In a serious effort to raise awareness about Diana, however? Different story.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Part of the problem is that Wonder Woman IS so recognizable-- but as an icon or symbol or lunchbox logo. There's nothing about Wonder Woman as a STORY that's recognizable beyond being a generic superhero. When you think of Batman or Superman or Spider-Man you automatically get stories that you associate with them, even if it's just their origin story and/or a tone.

Chris Sims talked about in one of his Ask Chris columns for Comics Alliance, which are always pretty good analyses. I talked about it a bit on my blog too (http://wp.me/p2xlVk-5Q) but basically I summarize it above.

There are a few directions we'd like to see. One, basically using Diana's story in the same manner that you'd get in other Heroic Journeys, even Disney Princess. The other, I'd like to see as a kind of James Bond kind of story engine-- there's a trouble hotspot that Diana superheroically investigates until she brings down the big bad... all flavored with myth and legend of course.

So yeah, either no one really knows what to do with her, or so many people have so many different ideas the result is the same-- nothing gets done. I do agree the opportunity is there and in a lot of ways the opportunity is more ripe than ever. We'll just have to wait and see

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    For five minutes before it got destroyed in a poignant display of WHY it's such a dumb idea compared to letting her fly under her own power.

A silly movie that is not supposed to be taken seriously. It also derives most of its DC humor by deliberately invoking DC's old timey roots. Modern Superman doesn't talk anything like Lego Superman, I remind you.

And this is all okay, because the Lego movies are a laugh riot and they're supposed to be silly. In a serious effort to raise awareness about Diana, however? Different story.
    We don't know the jet was destroyed. Only grounded. Clearly it was largely intact after the nuke went off. It actually seems pretty useful in jumpstarting Superman's regeneration and thereby saving Diana's life, and I doubt writers will just abandon it on that South Pacific Island.

And if Wonder Woman is in the lego movie and lots of folks go and see it and it has the invisible jet, then yes that counts as people's awareness of Wonder Woman. A lot more folks will see that movie than read comic books
    Last edited by brettc1; 05-03-2014 at 08:47 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Wall View Post
    Part of the problem is that Wonder Woman IS so recognizable-- but as an icon or symbol or lunchbox logo. There's nothing about Wonder Woman as a STORY that's recognizable beyond being a generic superhero. When you think of Batman or Superman or Spider-Man you automatically get stories that you associate with them, even if it's just their origin story and/or a tone.

Chris Sims talked about in one of his Ask Chris columns for Comics Alliance, which are always pretty good analyses. I talked about it a bit on my blog too (http://wp.me/p2xlVk-5Q) but basically I summarize it above.

There are a few directions we'd like to see. One, basically using Diana's story in the same manner that you'd get in other Heroic Journeys, even Disney Princess. The other, I'd like to see as a kind of James Bond kind of story engine-- there's a trouble hotspot that Diana superheroically investigates until she brings down the big bad... all flavored with myth and legend of course.

So yeah, either no one really knows what to do with her, or so many people have so many different ideas the result is the same-- nothing gets done. I do agree the opportunity is there and in a lot of ways the opportunity is more ripe than ever. We'll just have to wait and see
    WW is really lost in many concepts and the person to resolve it has yet to be found at Warner

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    We don't know the jet was destroyed. Only grounded. Clearly it was largely intact after the nuke went off. It actually seems pretty useful in jumpstarting Superman's regeneration and thereby saving Diana's life, and I doubt writers will just abandon it on that South Pacific Island.

And if Wonder Woman is in the lego movie and lots of folks go and see it and it has the invisible jet, then yes that counts as people's awareness of Wonder Woman. A lot more folks will see that movie than read comic books
    And a lot MORE people will go and see Superman vs Batman and see Gal Gadot there. The Lego movies don't appeal to EVERYONE. Big-budget superhero action movies appeal to an even larger crowd. So, people will have and example of Diana in an invisible jet in a silly little comedy movie on one hand and Diana (hopefully) flying under her own power and displaying powers and skills that put her at least close to the same level as SUPERMAN in a big, high-octane action movie on the other. This action movie will also hopefully spawn a movie specifically entitled "Wonder Woman."

Which movie franchise do you think more people are going to take seriously as a portrayal of how Wonder Woman is supposed to be?

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Is it a given? Absolutely not. Nothing is a given until it's filming, and even then sometimes stuff falls apart.

Is WB hoping to launch Wonder Woman off the success of Superman/Batman? I'd assume so. The only female lead superhero films we've had are Catwoman and Elektra, and neither of them were anything close to "good"

But it will depend on how well Superman/Batman does and how well received Gadot is as Diana, among other considerations. If things dont go over as well as WB hopes they will, they'll wait until Justice League is out and re-evaluate.

I say take it one movie at a time. No point in getting too worked up over Wonder Woman when we still have a year to go before Superman/Batman comes out, and then the long wait for Justice League and any other solo films WB decides to produce. We're looking at what, three years minimum before a WW movie comes about.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Is it a given? Absolutely not. Nothing is a given until it's filming, and even then sometimes stuff falls apart.

Is WB hoping to launch Wonder Woman off the success of Superman/Batman? I'd assume so. The only female lead superhero films we've had are Catwoman and Elektra, and neither of them were anything close to "good"

But it will depend on how well Superman/Batman does and how well received Gadot is as Diana, among other considerations. If things dont go over as well as WB hopes they will, they'll wait until Justice League is out and re-evaluate.

I say take it one movie at a time. No point in getting too worked up over Wonder Woman when we still have a year to go before Superman/Batman comes out, and then the long wait for Justice League and any other solo films WB decides to produce. We're looking at what, three years minimum before a WW movie comes about.
    Alot of people seem to forget Supergirl. Wasn't this the first female led superheroine movie out, ever?

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Alot of people seem to forget Supergirl. Wasn't this the first female led superheroine movie out, ever?
    Ahhhhhhh. True. She looked incredible. Thank goodness they updated the costume from the original plan! Too bad the comics didn't follow "suit."

https://www.google.com/search?q=supe...&bih=939&dpr=1

http://geekdom.hubpages.com/hub/Supe...ostume-History
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

BANNED

lol to not cry
    Last edited by Blacksun; 05-05-2014 at 11:43 AM.

I'm sure the movie-going public would hate this idea, but I wouldn't mind if WW's origin story was saved for her movie proper, acting as kind of a prequel to what happens in the upcoming movie of currently-unknown title.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm sure the movie-going public would hate this idea, but I wouldn't mind if WW's origin story was saved for her movie proper, acting as kind of a prequel to what happens in the upcoming movie of currently-unknown title.
    I'm not so sure they'd hate it. I mean, ever since Star Wars Episode I, Hollywood has milked the prequel concept to death, so its not like it'd throw the mainstream for a loop or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm not so sure they'd hate it. I mean, ever since Star Wars Episode I, Hollywood has milked the prequel concept to death, so its not like it'd throw the mainstream for a loop or anything.
    I agree.

This movie isn't about Diana. There's no need to delve heavily into her origin. You could maybe give the Cliff Notes of her origin, but that's as far as I'd take it.

Honestly, not revealing Diana's origin will probably increase the fan's interest in seeing a Wonder Woman movie. Just have this awesome lady come out of nowhere and show the world how great she is. Whet their appetites. Make them DEMAND more information.

"Okay? You guys want to know more about this lady? Here! Here's a whole movie just for her!"

That is EXACTLY what I'd do if I were running this show.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Diana will never ever get a movie let's face it guys/. Dc does not want to do a movie. We will never see it be done. After all Female leads for Dc go bad. Catwoman*cough*.no SynderI want someone new

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Diana will never ever get a movie let's face it guys/. Dc does not want to do a movie. We will never see it be done. After all Female leads for Dc go bad. Catwoman*cough*.no SynderI want someone new
    DC is a BUSINESS. They want to make money.

If people are interested in Wonder Woman from this movie? Then that tells DC that there is money to be made in a Wonder Woman movie. They have SAID THIS.

They've got a Wonder Woman. Unless the people absolutely HATE HER, then DC can tell there's money in a Wonder Woman movie.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--